Choice Powders for a 308

6mm06

I recently purchased my first .308 rifle. While I have owned a lot of rifles and calibers over the years, I have never had a .308, so I'm wondering if there is a "choice" powder for that cartridge. I know that some powders just seem to inherently work well with various calibers and I am wondering if the .308 has a favorite that seems to work well in all of them.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

I have IMR-4064 on hand so maybe that's a good starting point. I may have a can of Varget. The others I would have to purchase.

Originally Posted By: GCIMR-4064, Varget and TAC...

I have used all of these with under MOA results.

This has been my favorite in my 700 SPS in .308 using the following:

Once fired Remington Brass (fire formed to my chamber)
Reloader 15 Powder
Federal 210 Primers
Hornady 165 gr SST
OAL 2.750"

Started with 42 grains and went up in .5 gr increments.

5 shot group (43.5 Gr Average Velocity 2654)

Seeing the target above reminded me of a picture I Had.
This is still my current load and my son used the same rifle and load to win a local 1000 yard match.... Beat me with my own rifle.
Oh and yes that is 5 shots... And no it doesn't do that always but it did it that day

The gun also likes Reloder 15 and AR Comp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: GCIMR-4064, Varget and TAC...

I have used all of these with under MOA results.

This has been my favorite in my 700 SPS in .308 using the following:

Once fired Remington Brass (fire formed to my chamber)
Reloader 15 Powder
Federal 210 Primers
Hornady 165 gr SST
OAL 2.750"

Started with 42 grains and went up in .5 gr increments.

5 shot group (43.5 Gr Average Velocity 2654)

Nice! I forgot about RE15. At one time I shot a bunch of RE15. For one reason or another I haven't burned any in quite awhile now. It's good stuff...

in my LR308 ive used varget and H4895 both with respectable results. nothing quite nearly as impressive as the folks above, but it would shoot 165 SST's and 168 amax well enough with both powders. i wont even try to suggest that the performance was stellar, but a good dsay it would squeak in under 3/4" at 100 yds and an amazing group was in the upper .6xx size range for 3 shots at the same distance.

ive yet to have the pleasure of loading for a bolt .308

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I recently purchased my first .308 rifle. While I have owned a lot of rifles and calibers over the years, I have never had a .308, so I'm wondering if there is a "choice" powder for that cartridge. I know that some powders just seem to inherently work well with various calibers and I am wondering if the .308 has a favorite that seems to work well in all of them.

Appreciate any advice.

You did not state which twist you have. It is not that important, but just wanted to let you know that the slower 1-14 twist shoots the 168 grain and smaller better the 1-12 handles just about everything, and the 1-10 twist leans toward the heaviest.
You are Best served with the Federal 210M Primers FYI these are Match primers NOT magnum primers Federal Magnum primers are the 215M If you go back to some of the Targets you will see the 210 primer was used.
Varget and RE15 are BOTH Temperature insensitive. Even though Alliant powders does not advertise a lot in this direction, some of their powders are such. As you can see there is several Powders that work well with the 308. It is the beauty of it.

Can I suggest that you start with one of the loads posted or try Varget 46.0 grains with a 165-168 grain bullet and the 210M primer. This has been a accurate load in several rifles. Mine and some friends. You could spend about 30.00 and get some Federal match grade ammo in 168 grain to check your gun. But it is not necessary. I use the said load with 165 grain Nosler Partitions and I have been happy and successful, with that load for many years.

The 125 noslers have been good and I have not tried the Barnes 110 TTSX yet, but it looks promising and others have touted it to be good.
Varget RE15, IMR 4064 heavier bullets
8208 , H4895, IMR 4064, TAC, and 2350 Medium such as 150 grain and smaller.
Benchmark, 8208, X-Terminator Lighter such as 110 to 125

These are not in stone, and you as well as others here, my have,, or come up with even more powders or Pet Loads. You will enjoy the 308

forgot to mention that H4895 worked better for us, than IMR 4895. H4895 is not sensitive to temps and also we showed less pressure with the Hodgdon powder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticSeeing the target above reminded me of a picture I Had.
This is still my current load and my son used the same rifle and load to win a local 1000 yard match.... Beat me with my own rifle.
Oh and yes that is 5 shots... And no it doesn't do that always but it did it that day

The gun also likes Reloder 15 and AR Comp

That was a surprise. I had not used 8208 with heavier bullets. It looks like I need to do so. Great Shooting.

Some added information: The rifle is a brand new Bergara B14 Hunter. It has a free floated barrel, nice composite stock, a very nice factory trigger and a bolt as smooth as silk.

Today I shot a box of Winchester factory Power Max Bonded, 150 grain. Results were not good, with 3-shot groups going around two inches. The last two shots I fired went 15/16". That's all the shooting I have done with it. Perhaps the barrel needs some breaking in, but I just suspect it doesn't like 150s. Seems it should have grouped better than 2" even with factory ammo. The rifle has a 1 MOA guarantee with factory match grade ammo. I just assume the rifle doesn't like the Winchester load.

UPDATE: I just now got on the Bergara website and see that my rifle has a rate of twist of 1:10" which may explain why the 150s didn't do so well. I have some Speer 165 gr bullets and some Sierra 180s to try. I plan to get a set of Collet dies and begin loading for it. I was hoping for a 150 grain or 165 grain load and prefer that to a heavier 180, but I may have to go heavier than I had hoped for. My plan is to find a bullet in the right weight that the rifle prefers, and then switch to Barnes TSX for my final hunting load.

IMR-4064 may be the first powder I try since I have several cans of it on hand. I think I have a can or so of R15 too.

This rifle is to be my new hog hunting rifle, provided I can get it shooting nice groups with a suitable bullets for them.

This is the rifle I have. http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_hunter_rifle.php

I don't have Federal M210 primers, but do have CCI Bench Rest as well as 200. What are your thoughts about those?

My 700 has a 1:12 twist and loves anything from 150-170gr. I also use Laupa and Remgtion brass and once fire formed to my chamber. (Have to full length resize after 5 firings) , it didn't matter which brass case I used.......yielded same accuracy node.

Note: Even when full length resizing my cases, my load with produce .630" groups consistently at 100yds. In short, hunting load cases get FLR and Comp/bench loads are necked resized and shoulder bumped.

Once I found my load, I stuck with it so I never tried the CCI primers. The .308 is one of the easiest rounds to load for so I say try it. I bet you will find an accuracy node.

Off to the range to pattern a new shotgun barrel.

PS: post up your results as I would like to see how things turn out

Last edited:
6mm06 First let me say that You have one fine looking rifle. I do appreciate the fact that you have more information on hand for your loads. I think what you have is good choices to start with.
FYI: The Berger VLD in 168 gr is on sale over on Midwayusa..
Now something to think about is that the COAL may come into play with some of these bullets.
I personally would only load about three at a time, and I would load some about 3-5 thousands off the lands, to see if there is a significant difference, since this is where Bergers seem to like things.
Loading the Sierras or the Speer bullets is fine, and the reason I said just three at each powder amount and COAL is because components are kinda high right now, and you need to find your Node. Then you can tweek and refine your load to perfection. .015 to .020 off the lands should be good.
As far as the primers are concerned it is not going to make that much difference, if you are using CCI Benchrest Primers. They are my second choice after the Federals
Just some more FYI: I have tried the Speer and Sierra, in the 140 grain in my 260 for Hogs. I found that Nosler Partitions worked and worked best for me. I realize I am talking a 260 cal, 140 grain bullet, and I am not trying to compare apples to Oranges. But Hogs are tough and require a tough bullet. If possible maybe you can do a crossover with some 30 caliber, I think you will be happy.
Last suggestion is to go to 6mmbr.com and then scroll down to the 308 section, click on it. Read some or all of this, as it is packed full of good information for the 308.
I do want you to succeed with your new rifle. I think you can, and will, since you are capable.
Almost forgot, you are correct in getting the collet dies. My accuracy did improve once I purchased the Wilson Seating die, and the gauges for measuring the COAL and tweeking my COAL.
As TXCOONDOG said first time FL size then neck size for 3-5 times and then FL size again.
I do expect a range report and one day seeing a 300-400 Pound hog DRT from You and this rifle.

Thanks Cherokee.

Question: how do the 168 gr. VLD Bergers perform on game? I don't have any experience with them.

My plan has been to use Barnes TSX bullets, but initially my thoughts were to try bullets I have on hand in variuos weights to see what the rifle might stabilize better. The factory 150's didn't shoot worth a hoot. I have the Speer 165's on hand so I thought I would try those and if they group well, then swith to Barnes TSX in that weight and hope for a good, accurate load. Since my rifle has a 1:10 twist, I am thinking I need to go heavier than the 150's. I would be happy if either the 165 or 168 Barne's would work. I prefer not to go with a 180 gr bullet, but will if need be.

My practice of load developing involves shooting one round at a various powder weight and then check for pressure signs. If none then I move upward a little bit at a time and once I get to a certain point that I feel is far enough, I then load three rounds and fire for groups. From there I tweek various things to get the groups.

I have a set of Collet dies on the way so hopefully I can get to the shooting bench soon. I'll keep you posted about results.

Back