39 grain BLK VS 40 vmax

Pack_Wolf

I have been searching for a load for a .204 H&R break open. I have varied the OAL, varied the powder, and one day walla! I shot the center of the bulls eye with a five round dime sized group using a 39 grain BLK and 25 grains of Bench Mark.
Having run out of the 39 grain BLK's,.I have been trying to reproduce the same groups with a 40 grain vmax but have not been able to be close. There are wide spreads and tumbling. The primers indicate too much pressure but it is just above starting for a .204 at 23.7 grains.
Can there be that much performance difference between the two bullets? It is a 12 " twist.
I may have to put another scope on as The scope I'm using is an old cheapie. Tasco I think.

Thanks.
Pack

Just about all 12 twist will shoot the 39gr BK and there are very few that will stabilize the 40gr Vmax!!! save yourself some money and time and find some 39gr BK or better yet some 32gr BK.... Just sayin....

I've been working on new loads for my recently re-barreled Cooper .204. It will NOT shoot a 40 gr v-max, either factory loads, or my re-loads. Put in a 39 gr Blitzking, and it's a tack driver. It really doesn't want to shoot a 32 v-max either. This is primarily a prairie dog gun, so I shoot it a lot. I really wanted it to shoot the cheaper v-max, but it definitely wants to shoot Blitzkings.
My load for the 39 Blitzking is the same as yours and delivers great accuracy. I'll "just bite the bullet", pay more money, and go with the BK.

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfI have been searching for a load for a .204 H&R break open. I have varied the OAL, varied the powder, and one day walla! I shot the center of the bulls eye with a five round dime sized group using a 39 grain BLK and 25 grains of Bench Mark.
Having run out of the 39 grain BLK's,.I have been trying to reproduce the same groups with a 40 grain vmax but have not been able to be close. There are wide spreads and tumbling. The primers indicate too much pressure but it is just above starting for a .204 at 23.7 grains.
Can there be that much performance difference between the two bullets? It is a 12 " twist.
I may have to put another scope on as The scope I'm using is an old cheapie. Tasco I think.

Thanks.
Pack

If you want a heavier 204 bullet for in your 12 twist try the Hornady 45 grainers.. They will stabilize in a 1-12 twist..( they are shorter than the 40s) Also try the 40 grain noslers and 40 grain bergers.. (all same weight bullets are not created the same from manufacturer to manufacturer) If you want to try the noslers and the bergers to see if work before you purchase any.. PM me your addy and I will send you a few of each out to try.. And I noticed that my 204s like factory seating depths.. If you shot factory rounds and got good groups then I would duplicate the seating depth and just play with the charge and different powders for now..

I got caught in the chase the tail with changing to many variables at once.. Also for the 40s I found that H4895 was better for speed and accuracy than the benchmark.. For the 32s and 35s I like the benchmark.. Dan

Originally Posted By: nr123I've been working on new loads for my recently re-barreled Cooper .204. It will NOT shoot a 40 gr v-max, either factory loads, or my re-loads. Put in a 39 gr Blitzking, and it's a tack driver. It really doesn't want to shoot a 32 v-max either. This is primarily a prairie dog gun, so I shoot it a lot. I really wanted it to shoot the cheaper v-max, but it definitely wants to shoot Blitzkings.
My load for the 39 Blitzking is the same as yours and delivers great accuracy. I'll "just bite the bullet", pay more money, and go with the BK.

I hear you on the cost. Have you tried 32 gr varmageddons? They are pretty reasonable at powder valley.

Speer 39 gr are a FB bullet that should work fine in your 1-12 and are only $15.79/100(Grafs) and the Dogtowns are $14.29(Midway).

I did get some 32 gr Varmageddons from Weideners at a good price. Haven't had a chance to load any yet. I did load some last year for my 20 VT, and they were very accurate. I'll also have to try those Speer 39's too.

Had just the opposite happen with my .204. 39 gr key holed and 40 gr were one holers. But, from what most guys have experienced and ballistics predict, the 39 gr. should be what you need.

i have shot about every .20 cal bullet weight and shape there is out of my t/c venture and my tikka. i never had any of them key hole. sounds like i am lucky.

Back