Academy Sports

pyscodog

Anyone been in one of the stores lately? I hadn't been in the local store here in Broken Arrow in a few weeks. Man, what a change. These folks are getting into the firearm business big time. All new glass case's and a big bunch of pistols. Hi-point to Kimbers and everything in between. I don't know if its just this store or all the Academy's.

Last edited:
I'd like to see one of their stores in New England. I purchased a Yildiz O/U shotgun that's an Academy exclusive and it was a great value. Excellent shotguns.

In Texas they are in every major town and cities of various sizes in between. Lots of my money is spent in these stores. Ours is next to Gander Mt, and the academy parking lot will be full while the Gander lot looks like a ghost town. Also yes they have a good selection of firearms and now reloading, Powder, projectiles, brass,Etc

Evansville, IN has an Academy Sporting Goods store and they have a good selection of guns too. I go there a lot to buy not only ammo but cloths.

I can't stomach talking to the fools behind the counter at our local Academy store long enough to buy anything. The biggest difference in Academy and a place like Gander Mtn, Is the fact that I can buy my daughter a pair of cleats and a batting helmet for T-Ball and walk across the store and pick up a couple things I am looking at. By comparison Gander Mtn is a one trick pony.

Jim

Originally Posted By: jimmypI can't stomach talking to the fools behind the counter at our local Academy store long enough to buy anything.

Jim

I feel this is the case no matter what sporting good store you ever go to. Ive been to quite a few of the major retailers accross several states and cant really say I've ever been real impressed. I know there are members here who work in these places and thats nothing against you or where you work, it's just the vast majority are high turnover workers with no interest in what they are doing or atleast they have been in my experience.

"Gander Mountain is just a spin off of Bass Pro Shops in my opinion."

I think GM actually predated Bass Pro. I used to look forward to their catalogs, but they went bankrupt about 20 or 30 years ago and I didn't even know they were still around. Looks like they have changed for the worse. Somebody probably bought the name for the marketing value.

The Academy Store in our Area doesn't have enough Guns in my opinion,it's decent but not a lot choices there in my opinion.The Folks behind the Counter were pretty good about answering questions and knowing what they are doing.I bought a 20 Gauge Remington 870 and the Girl behind the counter knew Her stuff and had it put together in no time at all and walked Me thru the process!

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Evansville, IN has an Academy Sporting Goods store and they have a good selection of guns too. I go there a lot to buy not only ammo but cloths. Originally Posted By: yotehunter243The evansville store is the same one I go too

I got a German Shepherd in Evansville Indiana once.

We just got an Academy here local about a year or so ago and I was impressed. I've been back a few times.

Didn't know Academy sold German Sheperds. Must have missed that isle.
tt2.gif

Back