Viper pst vs Burris XTR ii vs SHV f1

Campower

Hey guys! Ive never spend more than $500 on a scope before, so all of the above are a big leap for me. Living in the northern sticks of Maine, there are no retailers that carry any of these, and Im having a hard time deciding what one to purchase for my first high quality (for me) scope. My requirments are FFP, illumination for low light hunting, and low light clarity. Accurate tracking, and some kind of zero stop feature. All the above mentioned scopes have all of my criteria, and im looking for some advice from others who have had some hands on experience with these models. Thank you very much for your time, as in the end your good advice can possibly save me a lot of money and greif.

Burris, hands down.

Better glass

Better zero stop

Better tracking

Vortex quality doesn't start until Razor lines.

Not enough experience yet with the SHV f1, but I really like the build of the Burris much better than the Nightforce.

Xtr-2 for me too. I debated the pst and xtr2 and went burris. It's a great scope that has great reviews for the price. I haven't looked through the NF f1 yet, but the burris does get you turrets for both windage and elevation...

Originally Posted By: tugboaterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760

Vortex quality doesn't start until Razor lines.

Totally agree..

X2... I had sworn off Vortex (after owning 3 PST's), until I won a GII Razor - now I have another
tongue.gif

They don't continue to track well, canted reticles, junk in the tube, reticles not properly sub-tended, the zero stop shims are junk and the glass is just OK...not worth the coin...not with others that are better for the same money.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760They don't continue to track well, canted reticles, junk in the tube, reticles not properly sub-tended, the zero stop shims are junk and the glass is just OK...not worth the coin...not with others that are better for the same money.

Well, none of mine had those issues... I'm 100% sure that Vortex would make any of that right (but I don't like using warranties, if so that says something too). My main reason was the glass was poor comparing price point. On lower power it was pretty decent but just didn't cut it in the top 1/4 of power range. I just couldn't take a $800-900 scope having worse glass than a $400-500 scope. (side by side comparison against a VX3 Leupold confirmed) I liked a lot of the features but for similar price there are better options I think. If you like features better than glass, it's a viable option.

Back