cz 455 varmit opions

The good is
It's a nice looking classic line rifle with easy caliber swap barrels.

The accuracy of my .17 HMR barrel is great.

Magazines are easy to load and reliable.

The bad on my 455 combo

Trigger...everybody brags on the trigger for CZ's. Mine wasn't very good at all, it was a 5lb+ trigger and not super crisp. Folks say put the Yodave spring kit in there and it's great....not so I did lighten it to 4 lbs or so before it could no longer pass the bump test and it still had creep. Then came the adjustable DIP sear, that fixed the trigger it's crisp and a little under 2 lbs now. That said I put nearly $100 into the trigger.....most rifles have a pretty good trigger after that much $$ is put into them

The accuracy of my .22 barrel is nothing to brag on, regardless of ammo selection this one isn't a moa shooter by any stretch of the imagination. It can't best my stock Ruger 10/22 takedown let alone my built up ultimate 10/22. I lost count of all the over priced ammo I've tried in that barrel as well as every standard velocity ammo I could find but no dice.

Overall it's a nice budget .22 but not much above the competition in my eyes.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1The good is
It's a nice looking classic line rifle with easy caliber swap barrels.

The accuracy of my .17 HMR barrel is great.

Magazines are easy to load and reliable.

The bad on my 455 combo

Trigger...everybody brags on the trigger for CZ's. Mine wasn't very good at all, it was a 5lb+ trigger and not super crisp. Folks say put the Yodave spring kit in there and it's great....not so I did lighten it to 4 lbs or so before it could no longer pass the bump test and it still had creep. Then came the adjustable DIP sear, that fixed the trigger it's crisp and a little under 2 lbs now. That said I put nearly $100 into the trigger.....most rifles have a pretty good trigger after that much $$ is put into them

The accuracy of my .22 barrel is nothing to brag on, regardless of ammo selection this one isn't a moa shooter by any stretch of the imagination. It can't best my stock Ruger 10/22 takedown let alone my built up ultimate 10/22. I lost count of all the over priced ammo I've tried in that barrel as well as every standard velocity ammo I could find but no dice.

Overall it's a nice budget .22 but not much above the competition in my eyes.

Dude, you got a lemon. The trigger on mine went down to 3lbs with a little creep. I just changed the spring it can go down to about 1.5 but I set it to 2lbs. CZ would have fixed that trigger and paid the shipping. You never know with a barrel. You can get a lemon. Try a re-crown. If it don't shoot, dump it. CZ will also replace the barrel if it shoots something like 2.5 moa.

I have a varmint 17hmr fluted. First day out at 50 yards the average was like 3/8 inch and it was breezy. I sold the 22lr barrel it came with before I fired it.

If any gun needs bedding it is a 455. Even when mine is tightened down with torque screwdriver it can still be moved in the stock if you push on the barrel. Planning to bed mine soon.

Just a tip, 22mag cz's seem to do best with the 30 gr stuff. Try some hornaday vmax if you can find some. It is so hard to find 22mag ammo you might get a 17hmr barrel.

Thanks for the replies.
I haven't shot the .22 mag yet. I am well stocked on both .22mag and 17 hmr.
Been kinda looking at the 17 fluted barrel.

I've been kicking the idea around about picking up another 17 HMR and if I decide to go bolt gun, no doubt about it, It'll be a CZ 455 varmint.

The CZ's, IMO, make the best rimfire bolt guns for the money. I think you need to spend considerably more $$$ to get one that is better.

Originally Posted By: pdhunterJust picked up a CZ 455 varmint in .22 mag.
Looking for the good ,bad and ugly on it.

Mine likes the 30gr Vmax ammo the best. I also have the .22LR barrel
for it, but will probably never install it. If I didn't already have
a good shooting 17hmr, would probably get that barrel.

I installed the YoDave trigger upgrade, but probably didn't need it.

Back