Cur's saved the day!

TNYotehntr

Took my curs hunting with Predator257Roy this morning. Got set up at at sun up, set up put the cur dogs behind me and got them settled in, Bobby was about to start calling and I noticed... a coyote watching us?
scared.gif
... Bobby started calling with me whispering stop! Stop!.... I'm guessing that I misjuged the distance to the coyote by at least 50 yards, I was guessing about 300... the arrow is where she was.
view_zpsfgd2nk9d.jpg

Well after the shot she turned and ran up the hill, I noticed with a limp. I sent the curs out (they didn't see her) but Dan seemed to hit her trail and the curs disappeared over the hill leaving us a long way behind. They got about 600 yards ahead and after 10 or 15 mins came back.
unsure.gif
wondered if I'd made a good shot and it was dead, so we followed the "bread crumb" trail the GPS leaves. We were about to give up we'd walked to the furthest point and Roi started barking and then Dan joined in. Bobby said he saw Dan run by, then Roi, then Dan... wait a min... Then realized the 1st Dan was the coyote, they bayed it up about 80 yards ahead of us under a down cedar. Wish I had it together better at the time as it would've made some great pics and or video.
Here's where they had her bayed.
20160403_071742_resized_zpspoiqeedk.jpg

Little blurred but show's the action.
20160403_065753_resized_zpsnfnpnfcs.jpg

20160403_065750_resized_zpsymm3fwpk.jpg

I'd made a really bad shot, I hit her in the foot, if it hadn't been for the curs we'd have never recovered & killed this one.

Easy to underestimate range when target viewed across a low spot or valley the target appears closer. Those pups sure deserve a pat on the head and a couple of attaboys for a job well done.

Regards,
hm

Great hunt Brad, next time got to try to hit somewhere in the body instead of trying to clip their nails
whistle.gif

The dogs earned their keep I'll say for sure, there wouldn't have been any finding that coyote without them.
You forgot to include the sunrise pic, can't leave that one out.

Thanks guys! Yeah anyone can hit that big ol body Bobby! LOL I gave them better than a pat on the head, they had a egg mcmuffin with me on the way home! ... I'm hard core like that..
smile.gif

Coming back after the coyote.
sunrise_zpsmqvtabhi.jpg

Last edited:
thumbup.gif
Nothing like a sunrise to get the blood pumping.

Quote:Thanks guys! Yeah anyone can hit that big ol body Bobby! LOL I gave them better than a pat on the head, they had a egg mcmuffin with me on the way home! ... I'm hard core like that.. smile

lol.gif
Good on ya! My son's goose hunting buddies used to say that he treated his dog so well they wanted to come back as his dog.

Regards,
hm

Thanks guys! Yeah I couldn't be prouder of the curs 2Ck! After all the action I wished I'd taken time to get better pics, those are all from my cell phone. The closer I got to try to "end it" the hotter the curs got. I couldn't get a clear shot for longer than I wanted, should've taken more pics instead.

Back