Georgia Hog Hunt #2

6mm06

We just got back from our second south Georgia hog hunt for the season. It was a great time. My son, Nelson got two hogs and I got one, but unfortunately I was unable to get video on this trip. Maybe next time because I plan to go back.

Our trip began with a stop at the local airport to rent a car. A buddy and girlfriend took his single-cab truck and carried a lot of our gear. My two sons and I took the rental car. Of all things, we got a black Dodge Charger, 5.7L Hemi engine, dark tinted windows too. LOL. I thought, man we will get a ticket in this thing before we return home. We turned practically every head on the highway, even getting a thumbs up. LOL. What a car for a bunch of hillbilly hog hunters.

I wonder if this sets a record for a hog hunting mobile. My two sons went with me.

As I mentioned, my son Nelson took two hogs and I got one. On the first evening the guide took us out to a place with elevated blinds. Nelson was in a single-man blind overlooking a food plot with feeders. My youngest son, Tanner and I walked quite a ways to get to our spot, a high tower blind, large and fairly comfortable. We had a good view of the area.

Tanner and I hadn't been in the stand very long when a hog came across a clear cut area full of water, behind us. I probably could have swung my chair around enough to have dropped it in that mess, but I chose to wait, thinking it would go to the feeder, and not wanting the guide to have to wade that mess to get it. The hog came out of the clear cut and went within a few yards of the tower stand to where we couldn't see it. It emerged in some woods to our left and went to the feeder at 116 yards, or rather it went within 20 yards of the feeder and decided something was wrong, so it took off.

Here's some views from our Tower blind. The muddy clear cut was to our back. To our front was the sendero of greenery, with feeders at 116 and 138 yards. I dropped the hog in the woods to the left of the sendero.

We waited for over two hours and saw nothing but deer at the feeder. Then suddenly, the same hog returned out of the woods and was attempting to come under the blind again. I figured it was going to return to the area where it came from, so I had to shoot quick and wasn't able to deploy the video camera.

In normal 7mm STW fashion, the hog dropped with one shot from the Remington Sendero at about 35-40 yards from the blind. I hit it in the neck and the wonderful Barnes 140 gr. TSX bullet exited behind the opposite shoulder. The hog didn't take a step, but did kick a few times and that was it.

Shortly after I shot, within just a few minutes, I heard Nelson shoot, and then he shot again. He shot a smaller hog with that elephant gun of a 375 H&H, at about the same distance I shot my hog. It hit the dirt but got up of all things and ran. He shot again and dropped it. Please don't anyone lecture me on what kind of gun to use. We use what we like whether others agree or not.

My hog (a boar) weighed 158 pounds. One of Nelson's weighed 100 and the other one was probably smaller. We didn't get any photos of Nelson's due to everything happening so fast.

Later that night we had a terrible storm and very hard rain, thunder and lightening. Two tornadoes touched down within 5 miles of us, uprooting trees. It was a spooky night.

The next day, Friday it rained most of the day, but we hunted the same blind that Tanner and I did the first evening, with no luck.

Saturday evening Nelson and I hunted a different tower blind. Just before dark the hogs appeared but wouldn't go to the feeder. They weren't sure about something, so instead they departed and went right down the middle of the field. Nelson shot one at about 180 yards and it ran like a scalded cat. We later found it, with almost all of its intestines hanging out. Amazing that hog could run that far given the shot from a .375 H&H and a 260 gr. Accubond. The hog went maybe 40-50 yards. They can be tough to stop sometimes and other times just fold right there.

Before Nelson shot the last hog, we watched a coyote at the far end of the field. The guide and I had thrown out hog remains earlier that morning and the coyote was there for supper. The distance was about 350 yards or so. It was fun to watch and I kept wishing I had my 6mm06. He would have been in trouble if I did.

Surprisingly, mosquitoes weren't very bad, though we did fire up the Thermacels one time.

I am already anxious to go back.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Sounds like ya had fun! Thanks for sharing. Bet you could have turned heads if you'd strapped those two hogs on the fender of that Charger!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Bet you could have turned heads if you'd strapped those two hogs on the fender of that Charger!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Yep, I could have given Dan Brothers some competition. I think my hunting mobile was fancier than his. LOL. You listening Dan?

Originally Posted By: Dman62Sounds like fun. I like it when people bring the big guns and know how to shoot them like you guys!

That CZ .375 H&H is wonderfully accurate. It impresses me every time I or my son shoots it. It will outshoot (group) better than most 270's and 30-06's I have experienced. It is so accurate that one time I convinced my son to bring it along on a groundhog hunt, just for the fun of it.

Good job David, looks like some nice hogs. Wish we could have hooked up. Maybe next time your in town give me a call and we'll make it happen. Glad you had fun, sorry about the lousy weather, we got one Wed. night and another Friday night. Check out my video To Close For Comfort, things were about to get wild.

Hey Larry, I hate we weren't able to meet up but as you say, maybe next time. I do hope to go back so maybe we can meet when I do. I still want to take a look through your thermal scope too. I'll check out the video.

Nice hunt and write up!
I also use what I like. Depending on what seems fun that day I hunt with pistols and various rifles. You've got me thinking about pulling my 375 out for a hunt now. Not even sure why I bought it, but I liked it so.... Probably read too many Ruark and Capstick stories. It's only been used on a few squirrels in the yard so far. Maybe when turkey season is over and we start the feeders back up.
Congrats on your hunt but even more so on spending good times with your boys.

Thanks Canuroper.

What is the purpose of having rifles if a guy doesn't use them, right! My son and I both like the large caliber stuff and we use them for the fun of it. We don't have to travel to Africa to have a good time with them. With the right bullets, the big guns perform very well, with proper hits of course. I took a whitetail buck with my .338 Win. Mag. and a 210 gr. Barnes TSX. The bullet exit was pretty small, much smaller than you would expect from a 30-06. The buck didn't go anywhere.

Drag out that elephant rifle of yours and go shoot some hogs.

Wow, David, that is an awesome write up and a great hunt.

You sure carried some heavy duty weaponry on the hunt, a 7mmSTW and a .375 H&H Magnum! Holy Cow!!!!
scared.gif

That scary weather has mostly stayed North of us so far this Spring, but I know how nasty it is.

Thom, thanks.

It was scary down there. I'm not used to that kind of weather so it got my attention.

The 7mmSTW and I are one. I love that rifle (Remington Sendero). The cartridge combined with the Barnes 140 gr. TSX is just pure death on everything I have used it on. They just drop right there as if pole axed. It's super accurate and flat shooting. It would be hard not to like a combination that performs like that.

I've always wanted to shoot a hog with a .45-70 with a 300 grain Barnes, just to see what it will do.

My Ruger #1 7mm Rem Mag handloaded with 140gr Barnes TSX has always been a one shot killer too!

Sounds like ya'll had alot of fun. One day I hope to get down south for some hog hunting with my 45-70. We use to raise hogs and that one you shot sure looks heavier than 158 pounds.

My wife fixed a shoulder already and it was delicious. As luck would have it, that very day we had visitors and had a good meal. Everyone liked the meat and it didn't last long.

Back