Snow Coyote

fratri

Normally golf and fishing mode kick in by now, but with this weather/snow coyote hunting keeps creeping in. After being stuck in the house most of the weekend because of the weather, I decided to get out and go for a walk/hunt after dinner. Not the best weather for golf but good weather for hunting. 

I got to the farm and setup by 7:15 pm…. I placed my ecaller/decoy about 30 yds away. I started off with a few howls and then went to dying rabbit sounds. Called with some hands calls on and off for 15 minutes or so before I think I notice something on the edge of the bush about 150-160 yds out….My gun is sitting on the shooting sticks already pointing in that direction, so I slowly put my head down on the scope and sure enough something is there.

It was a good couple of yards into the tree line so I wasn’t sure if it was a cat, coyote or fox. I had my ecaller playing on a low dying rabbit sound. I increased the volume and the critter stepped out confirming it’s a coyote. The small male sat there on the edge for a good 2 minutes looking head on toward me. I dare not move. I was not sure if he saw me move as I was calling (hand calls) or not so I kept still. After two minutes he turned and began to walk along the edge of the bushline.

I was following him through my scope, I cranked it up to 9 and watched him. He made it to the bottom of the hill and stood there broadside. Not knowing what he was going to do, I decided to shoot. I pull the trigger, opps, nothing happens…..safety still on…silly me, I scramble to take safety off, aim right at his front shoulder, squeeze that trigger and hear the bullet hit. He spins once and runs into the bush. Foxbang kicks in and I wait 5 minutes nothing shows so I pack up my gear.

I walk over to impact, no blood, [beeep], did I miss? I second guess myself (even though I heard impact). I follow up on his tracks and find blood spraying 10yds in…. 30 yds later I find him piled up. The shot was behind the shoulder but a little low creating a big exit hole on the other side.

How I found him

Not a big coyote, most likely this last spring’s pup.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Great story/pics. Man I'd love to hunt w/snow on the ground.

Thanks for the ride along.

Regards,
hm

Since you went coyote hunting instead of golfing you need 3 more to get to fourrrrrrrrrrrr !

I'm having trouble stopping too, another week of winter coming here !

Great story & pics !!! Congrats !

Can't believe I missed this story, until today.
Well done, sir!!!

I liked the telling; looks like a great area to hunt (trees & natural funnel); plus I've always been a sucker for hunting in the snow!!

Nice job. Looked like the perfect setup with just the right amount of snow. Great story and photos. Very nice read.

Back