Best .223 coyote bullet for someone who doesn't care about hide

Hellgate

I use an AR-15 16" HBAR or a Mini-14 18" barrel Ranch Rifle for coyotes. Where we hunt is mainly a deer & upland bird ranch. The coyotes eat fawns and upland birds (chuckars/quail/pheasants/huns) so I am interested in just dropping the coyotes to control their population since they compete with what we hunt. What do you think is the best .223 bullet to use to kill coyotes with the .223/5.56X45mm? I have access to every 52-69gr bullet out there and have decent loads for the 53gr HP match, 60gr V-max & 68-69gr HP match bullets. I want a bullet that will drop them even if running away and get [beeep] ended. I've used my 30-06 in the past with 130gr HPs and wiped out 'yotes hit in the rear end but now I am using the .223. I'm looking for suggestions. My powders are mainly H335 & W748. I also have some Benchmark.

55gr. Blitzking,Hornady 52gr. BTHP are my favorite bullets. The tail end isn't the best for a dead in its tracks shot most of the time. But I've shot them running straight away from me alot of times with both of these bullets I mentioned. They stopped,sometimes needed a second shot but they stopped. But really any of the bullets you mentioned would work. It depends on what your rifles like to shoot. My AR likes lighter bullets so I shoot Winchester 45gr. JHP's and 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattler55gr. Blitzking,Hornady 52gr. BTHP are my favorite bullets. The tail end isn't the best for a dead in its tracks shot most of the time. But I've shot them running straight away from me alot of times with both of these bullets I mentioned. They stopped,sometimes needed a second shot but they stopped. But really any of the bullets you mentioned would work. It depends on what your rifles like to shoot. My AR likes lighter bullets so I shoot Winchester 45gr. JHP's and 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips out of it.

I concur with this.
What your gun shoots best. I like the lighter bullets because they shoot flatter.
The Blitzking does a good job and has a higher BC.
With all the equipment and bullet right I still rarely shoot over 300 yds with .223 at coyotes.

I've used Hornaday 50g VMax's exclusively for the past 6 years with very impressive results! Great little bullet that shoots incredibly accurate out of my 12 twist 700 VSF

Given your criteria I would look at one of the 55gr Softpoints, outstanding penetration, through bones, hips and shoulders etc. I use Rem 55gr SP's but Sierra, and Hornady work great also.

Originally Posted By: AWSGiven your criteria I would look at one of the 55gr Softpoints, outstanding penetration, through bones, hips and shoulders etc. I use Rem 55gr SP's but Sierra, and Hornady work great also.

I use Hornady 55 SP. I agree with you 100%! The only thing that doesn't stop their "fawn eating days" with soft points is poor marksmanship.

Sometimes the vmax can be shallow penatrators and a second shot is needed.99 percent of the time have no problems with Vmax 40 to 55gr.

Back