Finding info on my remington 700

PredatorJunkie

Got a remington 700 in 243 from my uncle who passed last year... I'm trying to find out about it.... it has a bull barrel and I measured it and it's 25 1/2 inches... the bolt seems custom as its really tight with no play and a custom stock... any way I can find out about it more? Markings on the receiver are 3 AG and G6357809... any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
I believe the AG would indicate it was born on March 1986. As for the rest, no idea but hopefully someone will be able to help you.

That appears to be a Remington Model 700 VLS (varmint laminated stock) and per your AG date code on the barrel that would make it either a March 1986 or 2012 but I don't believe Remington started making the VLS model until 1995 so yours would have to be a 2012 model. That is if it's a factory made gun. If you measure from the little hole on the right side of the action to the end of the barrel it'll probably measure 26in. If it is a factory made 243 VLS the barrel should be a 1-9 1/8 twist. I can't for sure say without a better picture but it appears to have a new style trigger. Also, older Remington actions were pre drilled and tapped for peep sights and yours doesn't appear to be but again, can't for sure say because it doesn't show that part of the receiver very well.

It's also possible that it was assembled with take off parts from multiple different guns. Probably isn't but if the combination of parts don't add up, it's possible.

The marks on the right side of the barrel REP is a proof mark. The little triangle is the Magnaflux mark and the E in front of REP is the test or inspectors mark.

It does appear to have some surface rust starting so I'd get that taken care of so it doesn't get any worse

Thank you for clearing up a lot.. I know my uncle has had it for quite sometime. .. he had it sent to remington a few years ago for a broken bolt and when it was returned to him the old stock was broken (snapped at the grip).. had it sent back and returned with that stock..m. I adressed the rust issued soon after taking the pics... the mounts are Buehler mounts.. are they of any quality? I didn't see much about them

Back