SAKO AII SCOPE MOUNTS

shoot/222

Hello. I'm brand new this site so I hope I chose the right place for this post. I'm needing 30mm scope mounts for my AII 243 Sako. What base/ring mounts do you recommend. Do mounts for the AII also fit L579? I've been looking at Talley but figured I better get some professional advice. Thank you,
JD

Welcome to Predator Masters!

I like and use Leupold ring mounts on my L691. I'm not sure if they're available in 30mm, but a quick net search should help you find out.

I like the Burris signature rings with the plastic zero and offset inserts. They are easy on the scope.

Prior to that I was using a lapping bar for one inch scopes with diamond lapping paste. You snug it up to where you can turn it and slowly tighten and grind to where there are no uneven edges. You would be surprised at how bad the match is on a lot of rings. The Burris rings allow you to get very close to on target with the adjustment allowed by the ring inserts, I like the scope centered and not having to use an excessive degree of internal adjustment to get you on target. I've never had a scope marked by these rings.

added
L579 uses a base that fits the tapered dovetail, then the rings. I'm not sure whether the AII has integral dovetails or still uses the bases first. My first center fire rifle was a Forrester in 1973. That was a sweet shooting rifle, I used it for sporter class bench rest, and informally shooting gallon paint cans at 600 yards as well as my main hunting rifle for a decade or more. That's a rifle I wish I still had.

Last edited:
I have Talley's on mine that's waiting for a stock. It took a little lapping with a triangle rasp to get the front to mount up withough 1/8" hanging over the action. Nbd. Every other rifle I have wears Talley too.

If you go with the Talley's with a sporter barrel mediums will fit a 56mm scope lows will handle everything under.

I know DNZ makes Game Reaper mounts (maybe even Hunt Master rings) for Sako rifles. You could check with them. They're all I use on my bolt actions. High quality, great price, no lapping needed.

Thank all of you girls, I appreciate the information. Like I said, I've been looking at the Talley's & like them & several people seem to like them also. I'm handi capped with ALS & don't want to have to do any work to them. I was kind of hoping some one would mention the Leupold QR base/ring setup for the Sako. I don't mind spending the money on original Sako's but I dislike the big round knobs plus I think I'm going 30mm. This is my 6th Sako Varmint barreled rifle & all the rest have original Sako ring sets. I love everyone, my favorite two being my 222 and 220 Swift. Thanks again everyone,
Jim D

Back