I am looking for the smallest, most reliable, halfways affordable......

FullMoonYoteSkin

Hi Guys, thanks for clicking!!!! Would any of you have any info on .380 ACP's and which ones are the most reliable for carry? I have a 40 S&W that I carry, but I was thinking about a .380 for my wife's purse or in her car - or maybe in for me for a hot summer day to put in the pocket.

Thanks,

Never let your wife carry her pistol in her purse!! Why? Whats the first thing a bad guy is going to take from a woman? Her purse! Now he's got her money, her car keys, her credit cards and her gun.
As far as 380's, the little Ruger's are nice and the Sig's are really nice but pricey.

The Beretta Pico is one of the smallest and decent.
The Ruger is also light and inexpensive.
Sig is quite nice with a much better trigger and more money.
Kimber is close to the Sig.
The Glock is a bit bigger and easier to hold on.
There are a few other good ones like Kahr, Colt and so on.
Somewhat dependent on her hands and strength plus will to participate.
There are some video comparisons of women shooting them and the grip after the shot.

I have the Glock Model 42 .380 and its nice and small and easy to carry and hide.....only down fall is it has no safety,Your either locked and load or as I do just keep the clip in it and chamber a round if You feel the need to have it ready.My Buddy went to all Rugers because He likes them better plus they have a Safety.My advice would be to check out as many handguns as possible to see which ones feel the best and are good concealable guns.

As Psycodog mentioned....it's much better to not have Your Wife carry a hand gun in Her purse,first place or thing someone's going to grab.

Smith bodyguard, smith shield, Glock 42&43. My wife shoots everything I own. Dont let the caliber be the deciding factor. Recoil difference between .380 and 9mm isn't much.
As far as the purse carry, I agree with what was posted above.
But, a gun in a purse is better than a gun at home. But a dedicated purse designed for ccw and extra situational awareness is warranted when carrying this way.

Last edited:
My wife has a LCP that she carries in a sneaky pete holster. Like a cell phone holster but made for each particular model of gun. Purse carry should be avoided for the reasons pyscodog stated.

I carry a LCP and my wife has a Glock 42. The LCP fits in your front pocket easily but the 42 is much nice to shoot. My LCP runs very well but is finicky on the ammo it likes. The shape of the Hornady HP/Critical defense don't feed. It feeds a rounded HP very well. The Glock has run everything I have run in it. I also carry a Glock 43 often and would recommend you take a look at that also.

Glock 42 in .380 or Glock 43 in 9mm. Not much difference in size. The Rugers are excellent values!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom 59Small, reliable, affordable = Ruger LCP

For many years I have been carrying a Kel-Tec .32 ACP but if something ever happens where I lose this neat little gun I would not hesitate to replace it with the Ruger LCP. Had they been available when I got my Kel-Tec around 15 years ago that's what I would have now.

Originally Posted By: 450 DakotaI have the S&W Bodygaurd and would get another if something happened to it.

my mom has the S&W bodyguard. she pocket carry's it in a simple sleeve that mimic's a wallet's print. just a rectangle of leather folded over and sewn up the sides.

sweet little gun, easy to manage and a reasonable to shoot.

she loves it.

Like Crapshoot said. Maybe explore a 9mm alternative. My wife shot my LCP. It hurt her hand enough after a few rounds she will never shoot it again. I got her a LC9S and she can shoot lights out with it. It isn't that much bigger, either.

Not sure where you are located in Minnesota but Google the Reeds Rice Creek Gun Fair. It's April 15th-17th. Bring your wife to central mn and let her try all kinds of different handguns. If you have any other questions pm me!

I have an LCP, also. Nice, reliable littler pistol. But, as others have said, it is small, and can bother the hand while shooting. I just picked up a Taurus PT111 G2 for $209 with free shipping. I liked it so much I bought another one for my wife. It is a sweet shooting little 9mm. 12 rounds in the mag, and big enough that you can shoot it a lot and it won't hurt your hand. It isn't tiny, but a nice size, and I have put over 500 rounds through mine without a single issue. Just my $.02.

kevlars

Back