Your Favorite Reloading Book?

you can not go wrong with any of the newer reloading books they call have a lot of info on all shooting topics from getting started to loading for precision

I like to have a book for my specific bullet, a few generic books, and data from my specific powder manufacturers too. The One Book/One Caliber books from LoadbooksUSA are good resources.

One disadvantage of owning loadbooks - if you own just a few cartridges, you spend a lot of money on a lot of pages which you don't need. Then once you find your specific load which runs well in your rifle, you may not ever again need to open the books.

I have Berger, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady bullet books, plus Lyman and Lee generic books, as well as the One Caliber/One Book manuals for about 8 or 9 cartridges (some books I have in multiple editions). Then I have data from Alliant and Hodgdon (online) for powders which they provide for free upon request, as well as leveraging handloads.com, loaddata.com, handloader magazine, etc etc online data.

Most important, to me at least, is to get a book with good process instructional tutorials. Load data is great, but if you're just starting out, having a line by line tutorial is worth a lot more than data.

It has never ceased to amaze me how various manuals differ, which is why our own personal results can vary.

Rustydust hit the nail on the head.

I like the Nosler manual the best, and the reason is that their accuracy loads are more often than not, dead nuts on...at least within 1.0g +/-

Why more companies don't list the most accurate powder and the most accurate powder charge for a particular powder is really lacking in professionalism...poor customer service....

I picked up Lyman's 49th edition the other day, and it's written to where I (newb) can understand it but will need to set my bench up and take it one itty bitty step at a time.

hornady and nosler books imo and i grab the little hodgdon mags put out every year.

also if you have some sierra bullets you want to try, just email them. very fast and courteous, had my load data emailed to me in less than 6 hours.

I started out with a Speer #8 in 1970 and have loved it ever since. I have more, but the Speer #8 is the favorite. For a manual with lots of history you can't beat "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. It is 1168 full size pages for just about every round ever made in America and most of the rest of the world of modern weapons.

There are a few books I don't have yet, out of the ones I do have (Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman) I'd have to pick the Sierra with the Lyman coming in at a very close second. The Sierra has a good chapter on gas guns, I've been told it covers the same stuff the Lyman AR book does.

Ive got the Lyman, Lee, Speer, Berger and Nosler #7, my favorite two are the Nosler and the Berger book and I like about the same but the Berger has the story of the company and that is pretty interesting

Back