Camouflage Clothing and Predator Hunting

I've called in several during deer season wearing an orange hat. Normally I wear jeans and a camouflaged hoodie if it's not too cold. If it's really cold I'll have brown coveralls on,a black coat and a camo turkey hunting vest on over that. And I always have a black hat on.

I've called bobcats in to 35 yards of me and last year I had a coyote come in well over at 30 minutes into a stand at 10 yards. It didn't run until I clicked off the safety.

The last coyote I called in saw me at 120 yards because I moved but it didn't run because I didn't move fast. It was obviously call shy to some degree because it took 32 minutes to come in so I have reason to believe it wasn't a young and dumb coyote.

I don't own snow camo so I'm not sure if they'd react differently or not. I called a bobcat and a coyote in on the same stand with snow on the ground two years ago. The coyote winded me and the bobcat saw me move the rifle and froze. I was wearing Carhartt Brown coveralls,a black coat,camo turkey vest and a sun bleached green hat. I was using a hand call that day so they weren't focused on anywhere but where I was sitting.

Last edited:
I have had the M2D cammo for about 6 years. It getting lighter and lighter.. But still, as i sit on stand, I am the same color as the dead grass.

It still comes down to sitting still. I also have to remind myself [coyotes] don't see the same as we do. based on this, for me, it's more important to wear natural fabrics and wash with old detergents that don't brighten the colors.
Those two things make you glow or stand out against the landscape. The very thing I am trying not to do.

If you have a tight budget getting military surplus is a great way to go as long as you get the stuff that matches your area or is lighter. It lasts and as long as you wash it inside out with the right detergent it will last, not fade as fast, and let you blend in better. IMO

I feel like a lucky guy that some how talked Dr. Shawley into sitting down and talking to me about that research you linked too for an hour or so.

He is a very smart guy, that really analyzed the science of hunting. The ins-and-outs of coyotes, as well as the equipment used.(for those that remember the dust up that ended his articles) He is the one that explained to me that Coyotes didn't see Green. it's not color blind, just that Green was a shades of gray thing..

After that, i looked at some picture advertisements with a color filter to see what it looked like. I ordered the M2D after that. I am not saying one brand was better, just I personally preferred that style. Not to mention that after these years, their product seems to holdup better than some others.

What is the overall views on the Kyptek camo? I have been starting to see it around, but it's expensive like the Sitka stuff. I have looked over the M2D camo and may go that way in the future. Thanks

Camo in snow i find very important, especially if you are tracking or trying to stalk. Camo in other environments is mainly for the enjoyment of the wearer. Good camo needs to be comfortable and have good pockets. Camo may help mostly with getting to and out of a call stand as undetected as possible.

Back