Savage BMag anyone?

A few of my buddies have them. One has the heavy barrel B-Mag which I've shot more. It's accurate enough to cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yards with the 20gr. V-Max. I don't necessarily like the stock on them but that can be changed. Having to take it off safe before chambering a round is something I have trouble getting used to but as far as the caliber and accuracy of the B-Mag I can't say anything bad about either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What are reasonable accuracy expectations from the B-Mag?

Also, what ammo is available? Anything with a tougher construted bullet, similar to the 20 gr. CCI Game Point?

The .17 WSM is interesting.

Squeeze, I like the looks of your outfit. How about a few more photos if you don't mind. I just like to see from different angles.

There are two bullets currently available the 20gr Vmax and 25gr Vmax in the 17 WSM but if I recall, there was word from Shot Show 2016 that we could be expecting a lead free bullet to be coming available but I've yet to hear much more about that.

As for accuracy expectations, hmmm, not exactly sure how to best answer that as the only one I have direct experience with is my own and I never shot it before I had a little work done to it but after the stock was swapped out and bed, barrel shortened two inches and threaded, used a 1pc Weaver rail and put a decent scope on it, after it was sighted in the first two groups went right at .5 MOA @100yds and that was with American Eagle 20gr ammo.

I will add, because some of the early ammo was sometimes known to have HUGE FPS swings, as of current, I weight sort my ammo into similar weight groups. There are many that feel this is a waste of time and does nothing and maybe they're right, I can't really say but I've chronographed some of my weight sorted ammo and got a 2984 FPS Avg. with a ES of 24 while others have had an ES of over 100 FPS which would certainly explain the flyers.

The Bmag is certainly not without its issues but in its defense, IMO, not all of the issues, with regard to accuracy, can solely be blamed on the Bmag. And not to throw the Ruger 77 17 WSM under the bus but they cost twice as much as the Bmag and right out of the box, don't really shoot much better but after a little trigger upgrade, maybe a recrown if needed and a bedding job, they tend to shoot pretty darn good.

I've never taken the time to learn how to post pics through a picture hosts so I can't post one here but It's really nothing special though, just a HBSS Bmag wearing a Boyds Pro Varmint stock and a TBAC suppressor.

I have done side by side comparison between 22 mag, 17HMR, and the 17WSM. Shooting 1 gallon jugs at 100 yards and there was a big difference in impact between all three. The 17WSM is hands down more powerful.

What are reasonable accuracy expectations from the B-Mag?

Also, what ammo is available? Anything with a tougher construted bullet, similar to the 20 gr. CCI Game Point?

The .17 WSM is interesting.

Squeeze, I like the looks of your outfit. How about a few more photos if you don't mind. I just like to see from different angles.

Not much of a different angle, but it is the only other photo I have at the moment:

On the cost of this rifle, basically what ever that raffle ticket, at the DU banquet cost
grin.gif
and the cost of the Boyd's stock...Plus the +$300 for the Nikon Buckmaster 6x18 scope.

As for accuracy, I get 1 MOA groups, or close to 1 MOA, with most of the different weight and brands of ammo I have tried. I think the Winchester 20gr, and the new Federal 20 gr. will go sub-MOA, with no wind, and a relaxed trigger puller. I have never seen SP type bullets, but I have both tipped and HP varmint bullets. The tipped are tad more explosive but neither do a lot of penetrating before coming apart.

This rifle really filled the bill for me. I was always trying to decide if I should grab the 10/22, or the .223 AR-15, and my wife did not appreciate the muzzle blast off the AR-15, when I chose that one.
shocked.gif
So now the 17 WSM sits behind the wicker rocker, and anything that needs killing in the meadow, usually gets the red mist treatment. Right down to itty bitty house sparrows, up to feral cats, and garden munching bunnies. My Grandson particularly likes the headless vermin, when Grandpa gets a good pull.
lol.gif

Squeeze

I bought a used Bmag with a Nikon Buckmaster scope for $225. Like stated the stock is beyond horrible. My original stock had way to much flex and my groups were nothing to write home about. I installed a Boyds stock on it and the gun now shoots acceptable. 17wsm ammo is very easy to find here. I have to make sure the mag is seated properly when reloading but that is minor in my opinion. I do love the gun and caliber. The early guns and ammo had lots of problems but it seems that is been worked out. My gun is not a tack driver but it kills animals with the best of them. I may just get me a HB stainless model. I wish Ruger had a 17wsm in the American model but the Savage will do. Just know you will have to change out the stock in most cases.

B23 and Squeeze, thanks for taking time to respond.

Today I visited the new Bass Pro shop in Bristol, Tennessee. While there I got a Bmag in my hand for the first time, the standard version. It's definitely light and feels almost like my son's plastic air soft rifle. I'm sure the stainless heavy barrel and laminated stock would have a better feel to it.

I also noticed that the bolt is tough to close. To my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the bolt cocks on closure. I guess it just takes some getting used to.

I could live with the heavy barrel stainless model, I think, if I could see tiny groups appearing down range. Seems those little groups just do something to my psyche.

I have a laminated Ruger 77/22 magnum and like it very well, but it's not a cheap rifle and like you say, the Ruger will cost twice what a Bmag can be purchased for.

I'm thinking, without knowing, that the 17 WSM might make a good fox round. I have several fox here and I can say without a doubt that the .17 Remington is too much of a good thing for them, though it works great for coyotes.

Squeeze, thanks for posting the photo. I like the stock.

^^^^it is an awesome round for Fox. The 25gr. Will exit but the hole is small. I have not shot a Fox with the 20gr yet but plan on it next year. So far the 25 has not exited on a coon, folds them up nice.

I also noticed that the bolt is tough to close. To my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the bolt cocks on closure. I guess it just takes some getting used to.

Yes the "cock on close" feels weird at first, but that weird feeling went away after a while. And as the rifle gets some use, that seems to smooth out a bit. I put some high tech gun oil on the cocking mechanism, and that seems to make it a tad smoother. It sure isn't a Tikka, or a Sako, or some other butter smooth bolt cocking mechanism, and it definitely tells one they are cocked and locked when one cams it down.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Yes the "cock on close" feels weird at first, but that weird feeling went away after a while. And as the rifle gets some use, that seems to smooth out a bit. I put some high tech gun oil on the cocking mechanism, and that seems to make it a tad smoother. It sure isn't a Tikka, or a Sako, or some other butter smooth bolt cocking mechanism, and it definitely tells one they are cocked and locked when one cams it down.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I hear this a lot but I guess I don't notice it on my Bmag but I also put a Glades bolt handle on mine and with the Glades being considerably longer, to long in my opinion, it gives you a lot more leverage versus that odd shaped little nub of a bolt handle they come with.

IMO, Savage couldn't have made the Bmag any less attractive to the consumer if they'd have tried. I can live with the cock on close bolt but why did they have to make the bolt handle so darn ugly and don't even get me started on the function of the bolt handle. First time I handled one and cycled the bolt, the way it felt to me, I thought there was something wrong with it and that maybe I'd broke it and proceeded to hand it back to the counter person he laughed and said people think that all the time but that's just how they are.

Also, and God only knows why, the design team at Savage put those, fugly, grooves/rings in the barrel. Good Lord they're just flat ugly as he11 and serve no functional purpose. Ugh!

And if all that wasn't enough, they design the Bmag so it's nearly impossible to bed the action. All you can really bed on these things is the area directly under the front action screw and that in itself is a PITA but it can be done and it does help.

Now you'd think after my extreme negative rant I hate my/the Savage Bmag but that actually couldn't be further from the truth. My Bmag is the funnest rimfire I've got and my 17 HMR, which I used to shoot exclusively, hasn't seen the light of day since I've had my 17WSM. I guess you could say my Bmag is the gun I love to hate and again, IMO, it's really unfortunate Savage didn't put more time into the design of these things because they are a lot of fun to pop medium to small critters with and can not only reach out there further but they do it with MUCH more authority than the HMR. Even though the Bmag is far from a perfect picture, I would have no concern buying another because even if you get one that doesn't shoot up to par, it doesn't take much to make them shoot up to acceptable levels.

I bought the Cabelas heavy fluted barrel version with a 4-12 Bushnell and for the most part very happy with it. Shots 1/2"-3/4" groups out of the lead sled, trigger is great at 1 3/4 pds, Weighs 7.6 pds, relatively quiet and shoots very flat out to 250 yards. Suits my needs perfectly for the rimfire only towns I hunt. The cock on close bolt takes some getting used to and the low end guns, under $500, well, feel like low end guns no matter who makes them. I still prefer my Rem Model 7 Predator .223 in towns I can use either but the Savage is so accurate, at half the Remington's price, I'll never sell it. I've read a ton of complaints about the thin barrel version and just as many great reviews about the heavy barrel version.

I've killed lots of varmints with my B mag junk!!! Come to think of it I never miss with my junk Savage B- Mag! It's the only rim fire that will lift a crow off the ground at 130yds and I mean a good 10"

I really wanted the bmag to work. Bought one as soon as I could find one. The 100 yard groups I got were close to what my 3 1/2" .12ga with #4 buck will do. Knowing any gun maker could put out a bad one I sent it back to savage and they sent me what they called an improved version. That shot the same as the first one. Another call to savage and they agrred to refund my purchase price. I'll just keep on using my .22mag

Wow a mixed bag of opinions. I think I ll shop around for a heavy barrel one. I kinda want the plastic stock though, as it will get a rattle can paint job. Snow camo. But it's 2nd or 3rd on the list of wants . I'm covered for now with the Henry 22 mag & the rem 700 223.Thanks for the replys guys.

Last edited:
Back