Redding micro seater leaves a mark on bullet

dan158

My new seating die leaves ring mark at the o give.. I have to use just a little force to start bullet also now I have noticed..
I used rcbs FL dies.. Never had this problem before with the rcbs seater die.. This is for 204 ruger.. Any guesses?? Thanks all.. Dan

Are you chamfering case necks? That should reduce amt. of pressure needed to start bullets.

Mark caused by seating plug not fitting ogive of bullet used. Won't hurt anything, but you could probably get rid of it by using a bit of valve grinding compound on a bullet and spinning w/drill (if bullets long enough to chuck, or by hand if not). could also use a steel ball bearing of proper size. Won't take much to remove sharp edge on seating plug.

Regards,
hm

I was thinking that RCBS would make a custom seating stem for you if you sent the bullet to them Perhaps Redding will do the same. If I remember correct you have to send 5 bullets. If not, perhaps you can get a machine shop to do this. If neither company will do this for you, then possibly get a blank Stem and do your own.

Thank you all.. Yes I do chamfer and I will see about lapping the seater.. I like the neck tension to hold bullet firmly for AR use. Again thanks all for suggestions will try the lapping..Dan

dan:

I read all the previous posts , and NO the seater die should not be leaving a mark on the bullet(I know as I own a Redding seater die like yours).

Your neck resizing button may be at fault in the sizing die as it could be undersizing, but unlikely given Redding quality if that die is also a Redding .

You do not want to accomplish neck tension for an AR or any semi-auto rifle by [purposefully] undersizing the neck; instead, you should be crimping the bullet (with a crim die) for that result as a matter of course in a semi-auto rifle to prevent set-back from recoil.

Good luck on sorting this out...

dan, i am using the same redding seating die for the 204. only loaded the 35gr bergers with it so far. my seater also leaves a very slight ring around the 35 bergers. it is very, very slight. but i can feel it if i drag a finger nail across it.

i have compared these with some seated with a lee seater. the lee does not leave any kind of mark on the bergers. i can not see one bit of difference in the accuracy between the two seaters.

i might try polishing the sharp edge off the redding. but don't think it matters much one way or the other.

If you call Redding they will tell you to use steel wool or a fine abrasive to remove the ring. I works, sometimes. I had to just give up and order the correct seating stem for the bullet I was using. They make several.

Back