6.5 Grendel Loads

Jagorrell84

Hows it going everyone? So I built my first Rifle and built a 6.5 Grendel AR. I will be reloading for this guy and was wondering a few things. I reload for a .243 as well and only ever use Lapua Brass. I was thinking about doing the same for 6.5 Grendel but to hold me over I have 120 Rounds of Factory Hornady Match 123gn A-Max Rounds that I plan on saving the Brass from to reload with for the time being. I also am thinking about ordering some Forster Dies for it as well. Anyone use the Brass from the Factory Hornady Loads? How many loads to they tend to last you? Ive never used Hornady Brass before so not sure what to expect.

Also, I am running a 1:9 20" Stainless Fluted BHW Barrel with a JP Brake and was wondering if anyone has any great loads that have proven for them with a barrel like mine?

Thank you for your help.

I use Hornady brass in mine. haven't shot either rifle that much so no idea on case life. It seems to be pretty good brass & I think the flash holes are possibly machined, rather than punched. I get very little debris when deburring them.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI use Hornady brass in mine. haven't shot either rifle that much so no idea on case life. It seems to be pretty good brass & I think the flash holes are possibly machined, rather than punched. I get very little debris when deburring them.

Good to hear. Hopefully I'll have some good luck with mine as well.

I mostly run Lapua brass but well over 10+ reloads on them. The Hornady brass doesn't have as many firings on it, but still looks good. I run IMR 8208 for both 123gr SMK and Amax's, both at 28.5gr. This is a hot load and would work up if you decide to try. I am running 31.5gr of CFE with the 123gr SST for hunting. Both of these are around 2600 fps with the SST's running a bit slower.

I'm primarily interested in 95gr VMax and 123 SST's. I've tried several powder & primer combos with these bullets & so far benchmark seems to be the best powder for my rifle. Federal Sr (205, i think?) and CCI 450 SR magnums have given the best groups by a small edge over winchester.

You really just have to load some up & go see what the rifle likes best.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelI mostly run Lapua brass but well over 10+ reloads on them. The Hornady brass doesn't have as many firings on it, but still looks good. I run IMR 8208 for both 123gr SMK and Amax's, both at 28.5gr. This is a hot load and would work up if you decide to try. I am running 31.5gr of CFE with the 123gr SST for hunting. Both of these are around 2600 fps with the SST's running a bit slower.

Good to hear. I do plan on getting Lapua Brass anyways since it's what I use in my 243. Now I gotta figure out powder since all my powder is for 243, and 9mm.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI'm primarily interested in 95gr VMax and 123 SST's. I've tried several powder & primer combos with these bullets & so far benchmark seems to be the best powder for my rifle. Federal Sr (205, i think?) and CCI 450 SR magnums have given the best groups by a small edge over winchester.

You really just have to load some up & go see what the rifle likes best.

It definitely took me a while to find the right load for my 243 so I plan on doing quite a bit of testing for the Grendel to make sure it's dialed just right.

I've got 12 loads on a couple boxes of Hdy brass and still going good. I liked cfe223 with 100 gr amax but ended up with h335 with those bullets and 95 vmax for both accuracy and speed.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI've got 12 loads on a couple boxes of Hdy brass and still going good. I liked cfe223 with 100 gr amax but ended up with h335 with those bullets and 95 vmax for both accuracy and speed.

Thats great to hear. I guess as long as they arent too hot and you take care of them they should last. I appreciate it.

Not at home to look, but so far I've played with:

primers: WSR, federal Small Rifle, CCI Small Rifle Magnum.

powders: 8208XBR, AA2520, N140, Benchmark & one other. Will check the number and post it later, it wasn't a good match as sometimes the action failed to cycle.

bullets: 95gr VMax, 123SST, and 129gr Hornady, AMax or SST? Have to look.

brass: only Hornady. I bought some bulk brass and some Hornady factory ammo (123gr SST) that I shot up & saved the brass from, used for break in & initial sighting in work.

and all loading has been done for one rifle. my wife now has one, so this year I'll be doing some load dev for hers. it won't surprise me in the least to find that hers has different preferences than mine does.

Thanks Stu. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either if it's different. Each one likes it's own load usually. Looks like I'll be grabbing my brass catcher this evening and then hit the hanger. I have 120 factory Hornady 123gn A-Max rounds right now so I'll be good on brass for a while for sure. Especially since it'll just be my target/predator rifle.I look forward to loading up some loads in time though for sure.

H4198. At starting loads if failed to cycle, above that it worked OK but still wasn't as accurate as others. Just tried it since I have a lot of it on hand.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishH4198. At starting loads if failed to cycle, above that it worked OK but still wasn't as accurate as others. Just tried it since I have a lot of it on hand.

Thank you for that. I am hoping to dial in the cycling as I have the JP SCS Kit with all the springs as well as a Syrac Adjustable Gas Block. Whatever I decide to load hopefully I'll be able to get it just right. I am hoping the Factory loads work for me since I have 120 of them that should last a while anyways.

an adjustable block would likely have made this OK, but the reality is that powder doesn't deliver as much velocity as any of the others. I tried it more as a curiosity since I both had a lot of it & I found data for it.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishan adjustable block would likely have made this OK, but the reality is that powder doesn't deliver as much velocity as any of the others. I tried it more as a curiosity since I both had a lot of it & I found data for it.

I definitely hear ya. I have a bunch of powder that I may be getting rid of since I'm getting rid of my 243. All my current powder was bought for load testing with it. I'm sure I can get rid of some or trade some for what I need.

Why get rid of a .243? load it up with light weight bullets like the 58 g. Vmax and make a lazer out of it...

Originally Posted By: MPFDWhy get rid of a .243? load it up with light weight bullets like the 58 g. Vmax and make a lazer out of it...

Its a 1:9.25 Twist that hates anything lower than an 87gn. Ie tried everything from 55-105 in it and anything lower than an 87gn it shoots like crap. Its just a rifle thats sitting now and not being used so I figure I might as well get rid of it for someone else to use.

Thats what my Remington 700 is too. Thats 5 shots of 58 grain Vmax with 44 grains of Varget running 3900+ fps. Work up to it if anyone tries it! It's a hot load but fast and accurate in my rifle.
60E52404-7313-4DC7-B3EF-FEFF9AC85758-545-00000127782ACF01_zps9742eb88.jpg

Originally Posted By: MPFDThats what my Remington 700 is too. Thats 5 shots of 58 grain Vmax with 44 grains of Varget running 3900+ fps. Work up to it if anyone tries it! It's a hot load but fast and accurate in my rifle.
60E52404-7313-4DC7-B3EF-FEFF9AC85758-545-00000127782ACF01_zps9742eb88.jpg

Yeah mine doesn't get anywhere near that with that light of a load. No worries though. It's just a Rifle that sits now anyways. Don't want to put the time or money into it so I might as well give it up.

Back