Reducing recoil?

GWHunter

I'm wanting to take out as much recoil as I can out of an AR. Would I be better off going with a light BCG and lightweight buffer to take more moving mass out of it, or I'm I better off going heavy on the BCG and buffer?

adjustable gas block tuned to your pet load is probably one of the easiest ways to tame the recoil impulse.

turn the gas off, and start adjusting upward until you get a successful BHO while loading one round at a time in your magazine.

hth

I'm not sure about recoil, but a heavy buffer and BCG is supposed to beat up the inside of your gun less. The other way to do it is like Plant said and use an adjustable gas block. Essentially you want to match the moving mass to the amount of gas being used to cycle the gun. I think if you're going lightweight internals that adjustable block is going to be almost a requirement.

using a heavier buffer can help for guns that are over gassed from beating up your brass.

they help extend the lock-time before the bolt starts to move. sometimes a few MS is enough for the pressure spike to go down to a reasonable level and stop the extractor and ejector from chewing up rims and case heads on you.

the same can be acheived with an adjustable gas block of course.

The big impact in the recoil impulse is the buffer bouncing off of the end of the receiver extension, add and tune an adjustable gas block and that won't happen.

Originally Posted By: Plant.One...until you get a successful BHO...

I don't think I've ever seen "successful" so close to "BHO" on a 2A friendly forum
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TheBoxManOriginally Posted By: Plant.One...until you get a successful BHO...

I don't think I've ever seen "successful" so close to "BHO" on a 2A friendly forum
wink.gif

you lost me on that one.

Originally Posted By: GWHunterI'm wanting to take out as much recoil as I can out of an AR. Would I be better off going with a light BCG and lightweight buffer to take more moving mass out of it, or I'm I better off going heavy on the BCG and buffer?

How much are you wanting to spend? What components do you currently have on the rifle?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: TheBoxManOriginally Posted By: Plant.One...until you get a successful BHO...

wink.gif

you lost me on that one.

Likely:
Barrack Hussein Obama=BHO
Bolt Hold Open=BHO

Not Likely:
Marjuana Butane Hash Oil=BHO

Last edited:
in this case BHO = Bolt Hold Open

which - when tuning a adjustable gas block is your minimum setting for the load you're using in that gun.

you need to give it enough gas to catch the bolt lock on the magazine every time to have reliable cycling. once you hit that point - you can stop and call the gas block tuned for your rifle/load combination.

It can be done either way, with a adjustable gas block or a heavier buffer or spring or both. I use a adjustable Syrac gas block on the .308's and heavier buffers on the 5.56/.223. I find that i can get the brass to land at 3:30-4:00 with either way. Most ar platforms are over gassed from the factory.

Last edited:
I bought a Kaiser X-7 for my little grandson to shoot (he's five). I started out with a regular BCG, a Tubb spring and heavy buffer and the brass fell at 4:00. I then changed to a Titanium carrier and a Syrac adjustable gas block and used the process as Plant.One talked about and the brass falls at 4:00. The best part is there is noticeable less recoil and a lighter rifle with the last combination. As a added benefit when you shoot suppressed there is less powder in your lower and mag. It wasn't cheap but for a little guy it was worth it.

Helpers can be buffer/spring, lightweight BCG, brake, adjustable gas, barrel weight. All contribute to less recoil but start w/ a brake or adjustable block.

Sorry was away from the computer for a few days. Thanks everybody for the advise. Right now I am currently running a stock semi-auto bolt, buffer and spring. Just added a Syrac adjustable gas block but haven't gotten to the range to try it yet. I was thinking of using a JP captured spring with the lightest spring in it and a Voodoo low mass carrier in combo with the Syrac. Use less gas and have less mass moving? Anybody run anything similar?

I'm curious as to the reason for this. 223/5.56 recoil in an AR is pretty minimal, or maybe this is for application with a heavier kicking round? or maybe it's for a shooter who is unusually recoil sensitive?

Neither, just figured if whatever I can take out of it the better off I'll be. Kinda like expensive options in a car. Will it get you there without it sure, but by why not make your butt feel good while your traveling.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishbe cool if you could rig a scale to measure it at the butt & see just how much you're able to reduce it.

If you go to JE Custom's website he built a machine just for that purpose. He uses it to tune brakes but it would work for this also.

A LMBCG and buffer to match, adjustable gas block and good comp will take most felt recoil out and keep your sights from ever leaving the target. Pretty mind blowing experience shooting a fully tuned AR.

PS- I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a hunting set up. If you are blasting prairie dogs and can afford a malfunction then have a blast!

Back