Fun weekends

Humpness

ive had a terrible season from December through February. I kinda took a break from it out of frustration. Basically a coyote here and there but nothing fantastic especially for working really hard for it.

This last weekend a friend and I decided to go camping around the snake river and focus on some redemption to "close" up on the season. Friday night we stumbled into a rancher that had 13k acres and gave us the go ahead. Drove around a little spotting coyotes scattered all over. We stopped once before dark to try calling one in. those bastards sat and watched the cattle from rock bluffs. They hardly lifted there heads to our call. You could see them really well since the cows had the weeds all mowed down.

Next morning we started in an area that was without cattle but still close by. Did a little male long howls, waited, waited and heard some responses. A coyote snuck in behind us. Buddy got that one he was all twisted up in his seat. There were two other groups of dogs to our west and south that responded earlier so we hiked over the hill for another stand.

After doing howls and long breaks in between. Pup distress triggered one coming in hot. It came over a saddle hauling the mail. At 250 yards or so, I whisper to my buddy the yote had blood all over its chest. It came in to 70 and I barked but it ignored me and was dedicated to maul my foxpro. I ended up shooting it below its jaw and the bullet came out next to its natural vent. Still got up and flopped around. These 60gr are a little over board but still fun. The blood on its chest smelled like deer but what do I know. It was still wet and the weird thing is it's face was clean.

We went out for a couple more stands but ranch hands interupted us in two different occasions. Decided to go back to the camper and eat a sandwich and regroup.

After a long lunch we setup next to cattle. Nothing there. so we start walking and kicked up a coyote and it casually left the area(cows were too close). We set up and I spotted another sitting on a rock at 700yards. The Thing won't even aknowledge us. The plan was to cut the distance in half and try again. Just then a cow got irritated with the dog and chased it off. We tried stalking and calling for the rest of the evening but they could care less of us and always stay just out of range.

Next morning we set up to the south of our first stand the day prior. Nothing fancy just lone howls yodel then along the fence it came. Good shooting par.

Sunday is just going to be a half day plus my feet hurt! So we figure we got a few more stands left. Made our way closer to the canyons and cliffs that over look the snake river. Sat down and heard several groups but nothing wanted to make the trip even [beeep] they were close. Moved up 500yards and it was a majestic stand. Sat in some rocks staring at the river. The place had to have been used for hunting centuries before us. It looks like a perfect spot for horse thieves or Indians or something in that nature. Some howls were let out and responses were heard across the river and a thousand yards away on our side. Thinking those coyotes moved on they finally group howled close by. I let out a group howl and got ready. A few minutes later they appeared over the top of the plateau 200 yards. Like the way they just appear between blinks. One two three. I'm trying to decide which one to shoot. They come in 30 or so more yards and stop. I think at that time my partner finally sees them but they have been still for too long so I need to shoot quick. I just can't get comfortable and I'm losing patience. I told my heart beat to F off and pulled the trigger. I don't know what happend....

We let em fly. Dumping round after round in a panic till they got to the opposite draw. They stopped to laugh so ah [beeep] 600 yards you never know. Finished out my 10 rounder and a bullet found its home and it does the spin [beeep] we love and hate. I followed it with my scope as it's slowing down but it knows exactly where to go. Just then it dove in a hole/cave. Good blood but I wasn't sticking my head in there too far too look around. It was probably a den for many litters over the years.

Did one more stand and and retired the day. It was a great weekend with an awesome friend and awesome weather. That ranch is going to be on the short list for times to come. I think it might have morphed into a future mule deer spot as well!

After the terrible shooting past weekend I decided to go target practice close to home this evening. Ah the [beeep] with that just over that hill used to be a good coyote spot....

Then after that stand I couldn't quit.....
There is no off season. I know what I will be doing this weekend. March/April has always been too much fun. You can really piss them off.

Not much pics but here's what I have. I normally don't do grip and grins.

Today

Missed one at 7:15 it was too dark and I always forget to dim the reticle on the vxr. At 300yards it pretty much covers the coyote if you forget.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

You should be greatfull to have such terrain to hunt.. That water reflecting those hills in first pic looks like glass.. Very nice

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm thankful to have such a therapeutic sport and a place to share it with the like minded. The northwest has such a diverse landscape I'm reminded of its beauty every day.

Good story n pics. You can break down some boots out on that stuff.
For those that don't know, you can go from Idaho to the Pacific ocean by boat on the Snake-Columbia.

Sounds like a long range rifle could come in handy for those ones that sit nonresponsive at 600+!! Beautiful country much more character than the crops and woods we have here in NW IL and SW WI

Back