Brass deflectors/ catchers for high volume shooting.

I am looking for a few brass deflectors and or catchers, if a catcher, it needs to be either very quickly emptied or replaced. it also has to be 100% reliable. for ar15's and ar10's.

pilots not so happy when showered in brass. and brass under the pedals is not good.

I have the cheap Caldwell one that velcro's onto the handgaurd and well, the price reflects the quality. If you get more than a few in the bag the weight can cause it to sag down and brass not to eject all the way resulting in a jam. Brass also melts and sticks to the mesh material. I now use it with the zipper open at the bottom and it works much better with a rare jam from brass not ejecting all the way and makes it easier to find my brass as is it's in a small pile vs without it.

the nicer caldwell - the one that mounts to your rail - is the cats [beeep].

i've got one and its been great. and they sell more rail adapaters so its easily useable on multiple rifles.

its a quick detach (it holds in place with two detent balls) and has a zipper bottom as well.

easy to mount, easy to use, holds well over 100 pcs of 300 blk and never collapses because it has a wire frame.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-Rail-...l+brass+catcher

^^ $37 w/ prime shipping. extra mounts are $15-17

[edit] i'd like to note that i've used this system successfully with the following calibers - 308, 204, 223 & 300blk. i see no reason why it wouldnt work equally well with other calibers, but you'd have to have a ar-like rail to mount to. The hopper mouth is more than large enough to accept 30-06 sized cases.

Last edited:
Curious as to what airframe or application? On the military side we never had issues in -60s or -47s that I heard about.

Originally Posted By: obaro3 buc brass catcher, doesn't melt like the nylon bag models, either.

Ive also been looking at this once since I heard pretty good reviews. I will be shooting 6.5 Grendel so I am not too sure how hot that brass gets compared to 223/556. I may or may not need the durability of fabric. Tough to say at twice the price.

i pull brass from my caldwell that's still hot enough to burn your fingers. mines ~2½-3 yrs old. no melting whatsoever. brass coming out of a .308 ar can be a scorcher.

my blackout brass when i'm shooting close to max loads with lil-gun tends to be pretty [beeep] warm too. that powder burns hot. i was scorching powder coat off of cast bullets during load developemnt with it and had to switch over to 4227 for those to keep em cool enough to not spray molten lead all over my magnetospeed heat shield.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei pull brass from my caldwell that's still hot enough to burn your fingers. mines ~2½-3 yrs old. no melting whatsoever. brass coming out of a .308 ar can be a scorcher.

my blackout brass when i'm shooting close to max loads with lil-gun tends to be pretty [beeep] warm too. that powder burns hot. i was scorching powder coat off of cast bullets during load developemnt with it and had to switch over to 4227 for those to keep em cool enough to not spray molten lead all over my magnetospeed heat shield.

Right on. Then it may be worth it to me just to go with the higher end Caldwell one and see how it does. I appreciate it.

I melted out a couple caldwells over time, just a little bit here and there stuck to random pieces of brass, so I bit the bullet and bought the 3 buc. No regrets at all, but the Caldwell is a fair amount 'trimmer' and doesn't hang out from the gun as much. However, for prairie dog shooting(high volume shooting), the 3 buc does hold quite a bit more brass so you don't have to dump it as often. Both have their pro's and con's. IF I put a catcher on a calling/deer rifle (low volume shooting), I would probably use the cheaper nylon mesh type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: obaroI melted out a couple caldwells over time, just a little bit here and there stuck to random pieces of brass, so I bit the bullet and bought the 3 buc. No regrets at all, but the Caldwell is a fair amount 'trimmer' and doesn't hang out from the gun as much. However, for prairie dog shooting(high volume shooting), the 3 buc does hold quite a bit more brass so you don't have to dump it as often. Both have their pro's and con's. IF I put a catcher on a calling/deer rifle (low volume shooting), I would probably use the cheaper nylon mesh type.

Right on. Yeah it'll mainly be my calling gun so it's not going to see a ton of rounds which is nice. I do have a 9mm Rock River Arms LAR -15 also that I'd use it on but theven brass doesn't seem to get as hot so I may be OK. If I get the Caldwell and it doesn't work out for the 9mm then I'll upgrade to the 3bucc later down the road. Thanks for the input.

Not much experience on the high volume catchers, but for lower volume, there was a fella on here that was selling one's he made for a few rounds - guys here had praise for them.

Picked up the Caldwell Pic Catcher this evening. Cabela's has it on sale for 29 plus I get a deal through work so end up getting it for 26 which was worth it to me even ifor it lasts a year.

i hope you have as good of luck with your as i have with mine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei hope you have as good of luck with your as i have with mine
smile.gif

I appreciate it. I wonder if they changed anything from older version to the new versions? This one says heat resistant but I can see where a full bag of hot brass can be too much for it.

Originally Posted By: Mike BNot much experience on the high volume catchers, but for lower volume, there was a fella on here that was selling one's he made for a few rounds - guys here had praise for them.

Yea I bought one of them to for my Calling AR and it has held up very well and its close to the gun.

Last edited:
So I was able to get a little time in at the range yesterday for the first time with the Caldwell Pic Catcher. I fired a total of 40 rounds without emptying it to make sure it can withstand the heat and capacity of my 6.5 Grendel. Well I am happy to say that it worked extremely well and had zero problems with the heat from multiple cases as well as capacity problems. It's a great device that so far, seems like it's going to last a very long time.

probably not, but it would depend if theres any rail accessable in front or behind the PEPR. the caldwell bag itself - more specifically the mount that slides over the rail mount - is adjustable on the bag from one side to the other. so it can be configured around many different scope mount situations.

there is about 4½" of travel along the rail on the bag side of the caldwell catcher.

so in theory, depending on where your PEPR mounts on your rail - if you can get a few slots in front or behind the PEPR you can probably adjust the rail slide to get the bag over your ejection port.

Back