How many of you carry a first aid pack

seasley

How many of you carry a first aid pack in there pack when they go hunting?

I read a story of a guy cutting himself pretty bad and luckily he carried a first aid pack with him and made it to a hospital.

Got me to thinking, guess it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

They make some nice inexpensive first aid kits now for under $20 that are compact in size and weigh very little

I carry a heavy pack anyways when hunting, caller, first aid kit, compact survival kit, lighters, glock 43, knife lifestraw bottle and seat all on a elberstock pack.

But I guess I would rather be prepared if something bad did happen

3F09916F-61D1-40E4-A974-8C6993111878.jpg

[/img]

Last edited:
No need to go all prepper crazy on a typical outing. But a sammich zip lock easily holds some assorted band aids, ointment, gauze pads, a mini-bic lighter, and other basic but useful nearly weightless items. That easily fits in any backpack.

A football sized commercial first aid kit along with extra water, knife, rope, fire, zip ties, change of clothes, Powerbar, fix a flat, plastig bags, etc stays in the car at all times and is updated yearly. That's all neatly stored in a briefcase sized Tupper Ware in the trunk.

Yep, got a little on the pack with some basics and a larger one under the seat of the pickup. Still need to add a maxi-pad or two to each one for stopping more serious bleeding. Those things work!

Never hurts to have one. Bandaids,aleve,two lighters, signal mirror,paracord,v-bandage,super glue,space blanket, water filter, big garbage bags, folding saw,extra knife, pocket fishing kit. It all weighs under ten pounds and could come in handy. Hopen you never need it but good to have if you do.

Army ifac.tourniquet, quick clot, some gauze, chest cathider, and some ace bandage and electrical tape. Lol I figure that's all I would really need in worst case scenario situation

Originally Posted By: reaper4Desert RAM, I though I was the only one who kept a couple tampons in my medical kit

What? Tampon?

Always. I would hate to have something happen and someone or myself dies over my not putting $20 of supplies in a box under the seat..

Same thing applies to the idea of driving around in the winter without a sleeping bag, emergency food, water, and firemaking materials.

I would hate to be out somewhere and the truck doesn't start, no cell, and die freezing to death with boxes of gear in the garage at home.

i keep a basic kit (some bandaids and a few alcohol wipes) stored in my blind. i have a kit i keep in my vehicle thats a little more involved but is still geared toward basic first aid although it does have a wider selection that the small kit in the blind - gauze, scissors, rubber gloves, some basic OTC pain killers, betadine, etc. most of my hunting is done on private ground, so i'm only - at most - a little over ½ mile from the house.

so my first aid kit is geared more towards minor wounds that can be quick patched in the field.

in the case of a serious cut, i've always got 550 cord on me when hunting and my belt that could be used for a tourniquet in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: reaper4Desert RAM, I though I was the only one who kept a couple tampons in my medical kit

What? Tampon?

Yep. They are awesome at stopping blood flow. The pads are great for cuts, full on tampons can be stuffed into a major puncture (or gunshot wound) to help seal and stop blood flow. I'm sure its sucks getting it pulled out, but better that than bleeding out.

When I stuck a nice sharp filet knife into the heel of my hand and up under the palm, it bled like crazy. I couple maxi-pads had it under control so I could get to the ER for the doc to fish around for any disconnected parts and sew it back up.

Yup they worked great for bullet holes/ small shrapnel punctures in the box! Should have seen my wife's face when she saw a mess of them in my army medical bag when I was cleaning it out

I keep a small first aid kit in the truck In the field most everything can be handled with a good knife, bandanna, rope off my coyote drag, shoe laces, duct tape camo on the rifle, TP and the hemorrhoid wipe(witch hazel soaked cleansing and disinfecting pad) in my back pocket. I carry more first aid crap for my dog in the truck than I do for myself, I know whats wrong with me, he can't tell me what's wrong with him.

I always look at it, if it is so bad that I can't get to help with those thing at least I'm going out doing what I love. I've been stabbed a couple of times, seriously cut, blown up, shot(minor wound)drowned and nearly froze to death more than a couple of times and broke a couple of bones and am still kicking. I refuse to even take my cell phone out in the field, I might do something stupid because in the back of my mind "the cell phone will save me". I spent most of my life with the phone wired to the wall, they are just annoying in the field.

I think that most accidents in the field are do to someone doing something stupid, it is in my case. If you go out into the field preparing to get hurt more than likely you will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: reaper4Desert RAM, I though I was the only one who kept a couple tampons in my medical kit

What? Tampon?

Yep. They are awesome at stopping blood flow. The pads are great for cuts, full on tampons can be stuffed into a major puncture (or gunshot wound) to help seal and stop blood flow. I'm sure its sucks getting it pulled out, but better that than bleeding out.

When I stuck a nice sharp filet knife into the heel of my hand and up under the palm, it bled like crazy. I couple maxi-pads had it under control so I could get to the ER for the doc to fish around for any disconnected parts and sew it back up.

My kit has pads, not the sticks. I hadn't really considered stuffing that inside a wound. I guess I thought of sealing off the exterior of the wound with a pad and some pressure.

Back