Components for reloading 12 and 20 gage slugs?

GJ2nd

Hey guys I have recently found the joy of shooting slugs and would like to start reloading them but I'm not sure what all I need for slugs. I've been reloading rifle for about a year and enjoy it. I'm not really looking for good groups or for hunting just to shoot..dont ask.
smile.gif
ya I might be strange.

A friend of ours gave us and old Pacific DL-266 for my dads 28ga but we have never played around with it. I think I would like to load for my 20ga first.

Looking at midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=236595 I found this mold that looks like what I might want.

It says that it is designed for use with a sabot...so were can I get sabots?

What is a good powder that I can use in just about every thing from a 12 - 410?

I guess I'm starting from scratch here so any info is helpful.

Thank you

GJ

The Lyman Shotshell Reloading book is really good. It has sections for all guages and types(lead, non-tox, slugs).

The roll crimp that fits in the drill press is hard to find. You will need one if using ctgs that have been rolled, or are you going to just use a fold crimp?

I was plaining on using a fold....I guess. I was guessing that it would be faster. Like I said I'm still getting started.

Thank y'all for the replies.

GJ

I reload slugs for the 20 gauge. A gunsmith shop in New Jersey sells the proper sabots for using pistol bullets in the 12 and 20 gauge. The sabot is the most difficult component to find for loading muzzleloading type bullets from 250 grains to 325 grains. They also supply the loading data.

I am getting 1" to 1 1/2 inch groups with my 20 gauge Encore slug gun. The loads are not speedy at 1650 FPS but they still kill deer. Its impossible to duplicate "Factory" slug speeds because the powder used in their factory loads in not available to you.

I will assure you slug loading is a HANDLOADING process. Once the case is sized and primed every other loading process is by hand. You must ROLL crimp you slug shells and a fold crimp will not shoot.

The roll crimp die is available from Ballistic Products.

My present 20 gauge slug load is:

Hornady 20 gauge case..31.5 grs of IMR-4756..4 CCS 1/4" fiber wads..1 CCS red sabot with a Horn 250 gr. SST bullet..roll crimped. Cost is about $1.25 each loaded.

Velcoity is 1650 Accuracy at 50 yards is 3 in the same hole. 100 yards 1 1/2 inch or less.

Hoggy

How do you roll crimp? Were can I get the stuff to do it?
So your shooting muzzle loader slugs?

Thank you guys for ur help.

GJ

Originally Posted By: hoginator204I reload slugs for the 20 gauge. A gunsmith shop in New Jersey sells the proper sabots for using pistol bullets in the 12 and 20 gauge. The sabot is the most difficult component to find for loading muzzleloading type bullets from 250 grains to 325 grains. They also supply the loading data.

I am getting 1" to 1 1/2 inch groups with my 20 gauge Encore slug gun. The loads are not speedy at 1650 FPS but they still kill deer. Its impossible to duplicate "Factory" slug speeds because the powder used in their factory loads in not available to you.

I will assure you slug loading is a HANDLOADING process. Once the case is sized and primed every other loading process is by hand. You must ROLL crimp you slug shells and a fold crimp will not shoot.

Hornady 20 gauge case..31.5 grs of IMR-4756..4 CCS 1/4" fiber wads..1 CCS red sabot with a Horn 250 gr. SST bullet..roll crimped. Cost is about $1.25 each loaded.

Velcoity is 1650 Accuracy at 50 yards is 3 in the same hole. 100 yards 1 1/2 inch or less.

Hoggy

I understand this is old thread. Not much out there on slugs, not really, so I wonder if there is more?

I see the above shooter loads slugs using pistol bullets.

Anyone use muzzleloading components in 20s?

I read that a 20 gauge rifled bbl is 58 cal. If so, why would it not be possible to load and shoot say a 50 cal slug, in a sabot or sleeve, like TC, Barnes and some others market for its 50 cal muzzle-guns?

Seems slug shooting is growing popular as population pressures mount, so no wondering about using with non-bullet as well.

Originally Posted By: BobBillOriginally Posted By: hoginator204I reload slugs for the 20 gauge. A gunsmith shop in New Jersey sells the proper sabots for using pistol bullets in the 12 and 20 gauge. The sabot is the most difficult component to find for loading muzzleloading type bullets from 250 grains to 325 grains. They also supply the loading data.

Hoggy

I understand this is old thread. Not much out there on slugs, not really, so I wonder if there is more?

I see the above shooter loads slugs using pistol bullets.

Anyone use muzzleloading components in 20s?

I read that a 20 gauge rifled bbl is 58 cal. If so, why would it not be possible to load and shoot say a 50 cal slug, in a sabot or sleeve, like TC, Barnes and some others market for its 50 cal muzzle-guns?

Seems slug shooting is growing popular as population pressures mount, so no wondering about using with non-bullet as well.

I have lived in slug country just about all my life...google "slugs r us"...this cat has everything you need. Great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable...He has a real close slug mold design, as well as the ready to load components to make up slugs that are very similar to the Remington Buck Hammers that some genius at big green decided to discontinue. They are called "Hammerheads" and they work perfectly.
Maybe there are better components available now, but I had zero luck with those plastic sabots that are supposed to hold pistol {actually rifle} jacketed bullets. I just could not get any accuracy out of them.,
Roll crimping is super easy and the best way to load slugs. The catch is that you either have to use former rolled crimp hulls{fired slugs} or buy new cases. You cant roll crimp previously folded crimp hulls.

About roll crimping previous fired fold crimp hulls isn't quite true. You can take 3" hulls and cut them down to 2 3/4" and roll crimp them. I shoot a number of 2 1/2" chambered 12&16 guage shot guns and cut down 2 3/4" shells for roll crimping.

Jig for cutting crimp off of shells.

My roll crimpng set up, home made spring loaded shell holder for drillpress vise.

Roll crimped previous fold crimp shells.

I have BPI roll crimpers that work well for me in 12&16 ga but they(people that have the same interest in short chambered shotguns) say the roll crimpers from Precision Reloading work better.

Last edited:
Appreciate the information. Not much infor or products for 20 gauge slug reloads out there.

Seems to me the sabot is the problem, with no end to handgun, rifle and muzzlegun bullets available, not to mention slugs.

A sabot to hold a 458 or 50 cal bullet that fits a 20 gauge rifled bbl is the ticket. Roll crimps are fine and seem not so difficult to handle. Low cost drill press stands on the great garage sale site (eBay) make it easy.

A 20 gauge bore is .615 caliber. It seems odd no one makes wads or sabots to run ammo components through a rifled 20, especially with so many states having slug only hunting and the growing hog hunts.

Last edited:
I did a little searching and found these guys carry a 20ga Sabot, the post was from 2009 but they are still in business.

CCS sabot slugs, Gun Servicing LLC 609-261-7373

Back