Two over easy, one broke yolk

millerjq

Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed the coyote scat and tracks getting more frequent, and closer to the house. Last weekend we had tracks within 30 yards of my back door, so I decided it was time to make time for some back yard calling.

0430, the dogs are up and ready for breakfast, and I'm itching to try out my new Burris XTR 3-15 in the morning twilight.

Getting the calls ready, the dogs had their fill and went back to bed, and I'm getting excited. It just feels like a good day, one of those days you know even if you get nothing, it'll be great just to be out amongst the wildlife.

After having some breakfast myself, I saw the first hint of light, that deep blue that starts the blend with the black. This is one of my favorite times of the day, it just feels like home. So I loaded up some MK262, grabbed the DDM4, and headed out.

The wind was coming from the north east, about 10 mph, so I picked my spot and set up the call. I've seen coyote travel here many times, and all the scat and tracks only further leads me to believe it's going to be a good day.

After about 10 min of sitting, I turn on the call. My thumb on the safety, ready to switch it to fire and save a few more rabbits lives.

After a few call sequences, there was nothing going on. Nothing but the birds singing and some turkey off the east sounding like they were still celebrating St Patrick's Day. I gave it a bit, it's starting to get pretty light now, and I'm about to head back. I thought to myself, I've read many people say just 5 more minutes, but they left early and missed the shot.

With that, I decided I'll try once more, change it up, and see what happens. After about 20 seconds, I saw one moving in the tree line. A dark coyote, moving pretty quick, and he circled west just behind a cedar tree out of sight. Hunting around lots of trees can be frustrating, but now I'm pumped and I wait. Looks like little brother wasn't as smart. Another 10 seconds he's moving in the trees and comes right at me.

He isn't slowing down, starts to turn north and follow the other, but I gave him a lip squeak and he stopped and looked around for a sec. Now I have him in the reticle of the Burris, and he's moving again. Another lip squeak, he stops, safely off, and smack! The MK262 Mod 1 hit its mark, Tango down without the slightest bit of a fight.

I see the first coyote hit Mach [beeep] due east, and tried to call him back with some pup cries. He's long into the woods before I can even hit send on the caller, but I gave it a try. No luck, he was long gone, but little bro but the bullet.

I walked out and drug the little guy a few hundred yards back to the house. By this time my wife is up, and I ask her "you want to take a picture of me with a coyote? I have picture of me with deer, some wild pigs, but never one with one of my coyotes." Being the awesome wife she is, she said sure.

I knew it was going to be a good day, just felt right. Called in a double, and only got one, but plenty happy to see some action. Cheers! And hope you all make it back safe after St Patrick's day!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Thanks. I can't wait to get the suppressor for it. 4 months into waiting on it so far. Hoping I can have it in hand by the summer.

That's awesome..ain't it nice to have coyotes right outside your door? The ones around my house are educated or new to the area:) like that color on your stick

I cannot remember what call it is, it was just a cheap one on a Black Friday sale years ago. I was on a tight budget, so I decided to give it a try. It's worked great, so I've stuck with it.

And some of this area around Ft Leonard Wood is amazing. Great land at a great price. Probably have less than a year left here, but it is like a slice of heaven.

Back