greased up buffer spring in cold weather?

steve garrett

If you grease up your buffer spring to get rid of the spring vibration and noise inside the buffer tube have you found any issues with this in cold weather? I recently tried this and I really think it smooths out things, in fact I can't tell much difference over a JP captured spring setup. but the only grease I had was some axle grease, I worry about this getting thick and gummy in cold weather.

that sounds like a recipe for problems - especially here in the northern areas of the country where winter temps can get to sub 0*F.

if you want a no fuss option, look at the JP Silent Capture Spring.

otherwise, as i've alwasy been told - Embrace the Sprong!
smile.gif

I greased mine up with high temp bearing grease. Didn't noticed a lot of difference in the sound to be honest. But I've shot it down to single digits and never had any issues. I also didn't load the thing with grease, just a light-ish coating.

I've had to switch from grease to oil in cold weather on new guns but once broken in things are usually just fine.

I've had major problems with high temp bearing grease in the cold but the stuff is awesome when it's not frozen. I've heard frog lube's grease will freeze up also, I've been using Birchwood Casey's gun grease and it's done great. Tested things out by leaving the guns in a snow bank for a couple hours in single didget weather and making sure it cycled when cold cold.

STOS by Ponsness Warren. 100% synthetic. Stays put. Very little needed to lube anything. Call and ask for the operating temperature range. You might just be surprised.
smile.gif

I am going to put the lower in the freezer and see what happens and make sure it works ok. I normally don't hunt below zero much. usually its about 10 above at the coldest.

You wont have any problem with the lower. Only problems if you grease the buffer spring with grease that will get a lot thicker in the cold.

From my experience spend the extra $5 on actual gun grease(Birchwood Casey isn't affected by cold) and save the big jug of cheap grease for spring, summer and fall shooting. I really like grease on different parts of my guns. And for less than $15 I have a jug of bearing grease for most the year and a small cup of gun grease for winter, and enough of both that I guarantee I will lose them before I run out.

There are greases that work in very low temps and in my opinion they are worth finding.

Back