Giraud trimmer over-chamfering...

CZ527

I am thinking about buying a Giraud, because my neighbor has one and I like it.

However, it seems to put a first day of reloading style chamfer on the case mouth. It looks awful, and can't be good for accuracy. Way way way too much material removed.

Is this adjustable? He's out of town or I would just go ask.

Yes the cutter head is adjustable and it sounds like his is out of adjustment
For this reason, I bought cutter heads that are set up for specific calibers
For example, i have .17, .20, .22, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm and .30 cal cutting heads
These are still the adjustable cutting heads, but Giraud sets them up for the specific caliber you request
I take a sharpie and write the caliber on each heads and keep them, along with my case holders, in a plastic case

They trim and chamfer each case beautifully. I can't imagine being without one

Best of luck

I am curious as to how much is too much? I putwhat I would consider as a heavy chamfer on brass for flat base bullets and a lighter one for my boat tails. I get some really unbelievable accuracy out of my flat base loads

I leave almost everything of mine with just a debur on the outside and inside, not really any significant amount of material removed. This machine is currently making brass look like a sharpened hole punch, hope I can get it adjusted. I'm glad I started with some range brass.

Is there a cutter I can buy for this that will just cut my brass flat so I can chamfer/deburr by hand?

The cutter is easy to adjust. Just loosen the set screw, adjust the cutter, and tighten the set screw back up.
If you don't want to do that you could probably return it and get one set the way you want it.
Their customer service can't be beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527
Is there a cutter I can buy for this that will just cut my brass flat so I can chamfer/deburr by hand?

You can probably adjust the cutter to do that, but you'll be defeating the whole purpose of an expensive machine.
I kinda like doing the total process on 50 pieces of brass in 4-5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CZ527

You can probably adjust the cutter to do that, but you'll be defeating the whole purpose of an expensive machine.
I kinda like doing the total process on 50 pieces of brass in 4-5 minutes.

^^ this.

the whole point of spending that kinda $$ - for most of us anyway - is efficiency.

i dunno about the rest of ya'll, but the brass prep part of reloading is the part that sucks. I'd love a giraud, but its simply out of my budget at this time. If i ever went that route i would do as others have mentioned and setup a cutter head for each caliber. in my eyes this is about as common sense as using a press that allows quick change die holders/toolheads so you dont have to reset them every time you change calibers over.

i'm using the Lee quick trim system with the power adapter. its not the fastest thing on the planet, but it does all 3 operations (trim, chamfer, deburr) for you in one step. and i can still do 7-8 cases a minute for thick brass like 308, and 9-10 cases a minute for relatively thin brass like 223, 204, 300 blk, 30-30, etc. on the thinner brass you need to modify them for an even chamfer/deburr by removing the ball bearing and replacing it with an airsoft bb, or similar sized bearing. for heavier brass the OEM ball bearing for spring tensioning seems to work nice.

I've tried other options - i have a possum hollow trimmer setup, which works pretty good - especially when in a drill, but that still left me having to handle the brass again to chamfer & debur. The same goes for the WFT - and while they have great reviews, they're $$ - almost $70 per caliber (ouch!). those were a little out of my trial budget, especailly since i reload >10 calibers.

if you want a trimming system thats efficient and still lets you chamfer/debur yourself, you might as well get a Dillon RT1200/1500 system - assuming you have a progressive anyway. then you can deprime, resize and trim all in one pass. It'd be nice if down the road Dillon comes up with a way to make a trim/chamfer/deburr setup for their system too.

Last edited:
I use a Gracey that basically is the same as the Giraud trimmer. Setting up the chamfer does take a few minutes when I do a caliber change but not bad. I did add the carbide blades to mine for extra longevity. The 3 in 1 is,certainly a time saver.

Greg

Well hopefully I can adjust this machine. I'll wait before messing with another guys stuff.

Fact is, I don't look for efficiency, just perfection. If it took 5 minutes a case, that would be fine.

Nope, don't have a progressive. I like to control every element of the process myself so that I know nothing gets less attention than it deserves.

I have a feeling that in the end I'll be going back to my old method, and doing each case by hand.

I'll give the manufacturer a call tomorrow. If I can set it up to chamfer and deburr very lightly, I'll definitely order one. I could sell several pieces of equipment, including my meplat trimmers, if I had a Giraud.

I couldn't get a good pic in my garage, so I found one that was similar. This is WAY too much in my opinion, and exactly the kind of result I'm getting.

The picture looks like a vld chamfer was used on the left cartridge is all. Just easier to seat the bullets. You still have the neck tension holding the bullet.

To each his own I guess. I wouldn't ever remove that much material. Not my cup of tea by a long shot.

I use a VLD deburring tool, but never to that extent. To me, the cases I did on the Giraud and in the picture I posted look like a VLD tool was bottomed out.

I guess I'm just glad I tried the machine before investing in one.

Who makes a good electric trimmer that doesn't chamfer/deburr?

Last edited:
Well you've lost a fair amount of gripping surface right there, for one.

Two, the brass has been thinned to the point that it will grow uneven.

Three, it looks like s hit.... Which for me puts up a mental block and would affect accuracy.

I think sometimes people think that more expensive always means better.

That's a full blown amateur, ham handed, keyboard reloader looking chamfer, period. Less is more when it comes the chamfering.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendBuy a chop saw from Harbor Frieght

That's my current set-up. It's even painted dewalt yellow so that it looks legit. Trims every case to within1/8". Love it...

But seriously, I'd rather do it by hand.

Back