Had a blast!

grinder67

I have not trapped since some time in the early 80's when I was 16 or 17 other than to expose my oldest son to it when he was 11 or 12 and that would have been around 04 or 05. That is until this year, Indiana opened a limited otter trapping season and for whatever reason I wanted to catch one or two (only allowed two per trapper) On Jan. 1st I made some sets at a spot where i had seen some otter scat a year ago while goose hunting but unfortunately there was not any fresh sign.
For thirteen days I ran those sets with no luck and no fresh sign but on day 14 I finally got some fresh sign, moved a few sets around and 4 days later I had my first otter! A week later, the last day I was going to trap for otter I caught my second.
I also set 1 beaver trap and caught 2 40 pound beaver and a raccoon in 3 consecutive nights. I also tried to snare a coyote ( the one furbearer that is legal to trap in IN. that I have never caught in a trap) but learned a couple things real fast. 1) coyotes jump a lot when trapped and 2) a single stake driven in frozen ground will not hold them if the ground thaws. Maybe next season
Sorry for the long post just wanted to share.

Back