Mossberg MVP LC

pyscodog

Got one in the store last week. I must say, it looks pretty "Tacti-cool". Have you folks seen or shot one? They are all tack drivers on the you tube video's but that's pretty much expected. For a chassis system factory built rifle, it looks good.

When I was looking for a rifle I saw a few of the Mossbergs that looked sweet in the magazines, but no dealer had them. They wanted me to order one just to look at it. I called Mossberg to inquire about it and they just shrugged me off and encouraged me to purchase sight unseen. They seem to be totally clueless when it comes to marketing and customer service.

I work two days a week in a LGS and we had a Ruger Precision come in. It lasted two days. I was thinking of purchasing it but missed the deal. Now the Mossberg came in and the price is real good but other than a Mossberg 835, never even shot a Mossberg rifle. Most reviews are from dealers or factory reps and of course, the rifles are precision killing machines. I'd like to get some first hand experience.

Heard good things about them but passed on one myself. Thought about one during the time I wanted my first .223 bolt during the start of the big 700 trigger recall in 2014. I am a big Rem guy but I do consider and like different brands. Ultimately with the MVP I just didn't like the idea of an AR magazine , read reports of feeding issues but probably a decent design overall. More a preference thing for me though I just am not into having to have AR stuff for everything. Though it's a handy concept for many. Action is a 700 clone that just made me feel I'd rather have a actual 700 action. I've cycled a handful in shops and just felt sloppy and not real solid to me in the action. Probably a good rifle just wasn't my cup of tea for what other options were out there. Ended up waiting and got a VTR SS and was real happy with it. Personally I've never really liked mossberg rifles and this one didn't do much to convince me but I can see the appeal.

To be honest out of all the brands I've considered T/C Venture, 700s Weatherby Vanguards etc... Mossbergs have just hit home the least with me...literally very little to stand out in their bolt gun lines...IMHO. Doesn't mean their bad but never felt like "oh this gun has this that's good vs this gun to fill a niche...."

I would say go for it if you want and feels good to you. Have seen positive reviews mainly other than the action kind of lacking and potential feeding issues from the mag design. All in all fairly minor. Heard good things about accuracy as mentioned. Is a plus though can shoot 5.56 NATO not .223 only like most bolt guns if that matters to you.

Yeah as Spec mentioned actually their customer service isn't the best I've heard that many times. We own several of their shotguns but was based on research not inquiring through them for advisement.

Last edited:
Psycodog, I can give you first hand experience. I bought one from a gunshop up here in Alberta in November of 2015 and I must say, I was not impressed! On the plus side, the Magazine well can use the AR style mags, the rifle is light and handy, but the iron sights are too close. The problem that I had, is the throat is way too long for any kind of accuracy. If your looking to seat your bullets a thou from the lands, then you have a problem with the cart overall length being too long for the mag! You couldn't do that with the 55 gn FMJBT, as the bullet would seat about 1/16" inside the neck of the case. The chamber is 5.56 NATO and will handle .223 rem or the NATO round. However with a full couple of months testing and around 300 rounds down the pipe, I couldn't get that rifle to print groups tighter than 1.75 MOA. For a tack driver, she performed very poorly in my estimation. I sold that rifle and promptly bought a Savage predator M11 and can achieve 1/2" groups with H335 26.0 gns and a 40 gn vmax pill at 100 meters. The long and the short is, I wouldn't recommend that rifle to anyone who wants pin point accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Guy LefebvrePsycodog, I can give you first hand experience. I bought one from a gunshop up here in Alberta in November of 2015 and I must say, I was not impressed! On the plus side, the Magazine well can use the AR style mags, the rifle is light and handy, but the iron sights are too close. The problem that I had, is the throat is way too long for any kind of accuracy. If your looking to seat your bullets a thou from the lands, then you have a problem with the cart overall length being too long for the mag! You couldn't do that with the 55 gn FMJBT, as the bullet would seat about 1/16" inside the neck of the case. The chamber is 5.56 NATO and will handle .223 rem or the NATO round. However with a full couple of months testing and around 300 rounds down the pipe, I couldn't get that rifle to print groups tighter than 1.75 MOA. For a tack driver, she performed very poorly in my estimation. I sold that rifle and promptly bought a Savage predator M11 and can achieve 1/2" groups with H335 26.0 gns and a 40 gn vmax pill at 100 meters. The long and the short is, I wouldn't recommend that rifle to anyone who wants pin point accuracy.

That's a interesting point, one of the drawbacks to a 5.56 chamber in a bolt gun I'd say plus other reasons for that issue.

Psycho there's so many good .308 choices on the market in that price range I might suggest otherwise.

The price on the rifle is actually quite a bit below MSRP. $779.95. Not a bad price for a rifle in a chassis stock. I just hate spending money on a new rifle thats going to need a new barrel to shoot decent. I may just hold off and wait till the new Savages come out or till one shows up at the shop.

So I know this is a year and a half old, but I was given a Mossberg MVP Varmint. It doesn't like the 55 FMJ stuff much, but shooting 50 gr V Max Ballistic TIps, store bought, I shoot sub 1" a lot (when I do my part) and often get 3/4" at 100.

The mag is sloppy, but I never had a feed issue. I did put 2 little strips of Gorilla Tape on the back of the mag, and now it sits tight. Wish they had made the mag well fit better.

I really like the looks as well. but I think it performs really well. It is newer, a 2015 gun.

Will try and post some pics...

Qz6lu7Q.jpg

The MVP and my Savage 10 .308
QDEA9vw.jpg

Three rounds on the bipod. (I did my part this time..LOL)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Guy LefebvrePsycodog, I can give you first hand experience. I bought one from a gunshop up here in Alberta in November of 2015 and I must say, I was not impressed! On the plus side, the Magazine well can use the AR style mags, the rifle is light and handy, but the iron sights are too close. The problem that I had, is the throat is way too long for any kind of accuracy. If your looking to seat your bullets a thou from the lands, then you have a problem with the cart overall length being too long for the mag! You couldn't do that with the 55 gn FMJBT, as the bullet would seat about 1/16" inside the neck of the case. The chamber is 5.56 NATO and will handle .223 rem or the NATO round. However with a full couple of months testing and around 300 rounds down the pipe, I couldn't get that rifle to print groups tighter than 1.75 MOA. For a tack driver, she performed very poorly in my estimation. I sold that rifle and promptly bought a Savage predator M11 and can achieve 1/2" groups with H335 26.0 gns and a 40 gn vmax pill at 100 meters. The long and the short is, I wouldn't recommend that rifle to anyone who wants pin point accuracy.

I bought one myself when they first came out, took it home where I took it apart.
The front receiver screw was holding by one thread.
I did not like that little lip on the bolt to pick up a new round.
The short of it I took it back.

The next month I bought a Yugo Mini Mauser in 223 put a B&C stock on it.
With a Burris scope on it and it shoots 3/4 groups with Lake city 55gr AR rounds.
I think you would be happier with Mini Mauser or a CZ 527.
I just bought a CZ 527 they are very nice, 300 Blackout.
With my Specwar, it makes it makes less noise than my air rifle.

I have a buddy in western Oklahoma that bought one for prairie dog hunting a few years ago when they first came out. He bought in on a whim as a cheap 'truck gun'. Needless to say, he fell in love with the MVP and still shoots it for P-dogs - DRT's em out to 300 yds..

Back