California Coyote Hunting: My Hunts

Seebass

Hello PM!!

Apparently I'm a little late to the party over here!! I've always enjoyed reading and sharing hunting stories as I'm sure most of you do too. I've got quite a few of them over the years!

I've posted on a local forum for awhile now and have always wished I had kept a single thread going with all my hunting stories. I'm going to attempt that here on PM. I will start sharing some of my recent past hunts and continue on from there.

I will put the date of the hunt before each account. Feel free to ask questions! I'll do my best to help and answer anything I can! Hope you enjoy!!

10/31/15- My Best day of 2015 was my best day ever!

Hello everybody!

It’s been a while since I've been out coyote hunting. I think I've been out once, since my July/August Sierra hunt. The longest break I've had in years!

I decided to give my ranches a little break (the last 3 1/2 months) this year and see what happens. I still coach soccer and now I've picked up refereeing the game as well so there hasn't been much time left for hunting lately. I've called my ranches pretty much every 3-4 weeks for the last 5 years, and they have never stopped producing. It’s been tougher this last year, but I'm not sure if that's because of the drought or the numbers I've been pulling off the ranches.

Recently, I decided to go out and call the ranch that I’ve given the longest break.

I gathered my things and was on the road before light. I got to my first stand and realized I left my shooting sticks at home! I was pretty disappointed, I thought the day was toast. The only saving grace was I put my bipod on the VSF the night before.

I walked 500 yards to my first stand. A regular producer (6+ coyotes shot here). I thought about laying prone but decided to set up against a fence facing north. I started with DSG cottontail and at 3 minutes I see a coyote on a ridge 400+ yards out. I look at it through my scope and as I lift my head a coyote is between me and my caller trotting away! I watch the coyote run to the other while holding off hand. I let them go, the wind was perfect directly from the north, even though the coyote was 25 yards away from me it didn’t smell me, I was sure. I sat for another 5 minutes before moving.

The wind was blowing 10-20mph, I headed north about ¼ mile and set up on the eastern edge of the ridge the coyotes were on for my second stand. It had been about 30 minutes since my last stand. I laid prone facing north with my caller below and out front of me 50 yards. I started with DSG again, after 3 minutes and a pause I played Lightning Jack. I let that go with a pause until 10 minutes. No takers.

I played Fem Coy Howl 1 for about 45 seconds followed by Male Chal 4 for another 45 seconds. I followed that with coyote growls and then pup dis 3. At 15 minutes a pair came running in from the north west! One stopped 200 yards out as the other continued in. As I adjusted the coyote stopped and looked right at me. All I had was the head and neck of this mature female… Good enough for the VSF, so off she went!

146 pasture paces, Cold Bore, Clean Barrel 1st shot!! You can see the entrance under the eye. I cleaned my gun 3 months ago and it’s been sitting in the safe ever since!

My next stand was another good one, but one of thoughs types of stands that just suck in the end! I set up against a trough facing west (cross wind). I found a stick that worked pretty well so I was using that as a shooting stick. I started with Bay Bee Cottontail and at 3 minutes I had a coyote circling north. It circled and stopped 150 yards away giving me a good clear shoot. The VSF barked for the second time, dumping the coyote on the spot. After a few minutes I gathered my things and headed over to the coyote. As I got to 20 yards it jumped up a run up a dry creek bed before disappearing. I looked for a while but couldn’t find anything.

I was a ¼ mile up a fence line walking toward my next stand when I came upon this guy. He was paying me no mind so I laid prone and took my time. I watched as he moused and walked around for a minute or 2 before he sat down. He was a little ways out so I put the cross hairs right on the ridge of his back. The VSF reached out and DRT’d this nasty looking coyote at 328 pasture paces!

I was laying 22 poles off the corner of the fence line in the upper right corner. This was a cool shot, I thought I saw the vapor trail as it flew toward the coyote!

I made another stand and at 22 minutes I got up and headed to get my caller. As I was putting it away I saw a coyote 150 yards away and running. Had I waited another couple of minutes I may have had a chance at that one. I made another blank stand before turning back toward the truck.

I was walking south with the wind so after about a mile I decided to make a cross wind stand. I set up prone facing west overlooking a nice bowl that had 3 gulleys running into it. I started with DSG cottontail and at 3 minutes I had this big male bounding in from the south west at 300+ yards. As it circled downwind it dropped into a depression allowing me to adjust and face south. The coyote popped up and stopped at 150+ yards looking directly at me. I had a great hold directly on his chest so I let another 50g Vmax fly. The VSF delivered another DRT at 184 pasture paces!

I made one last blank stand on the way back to the truck before calling it a day.

With 4 coyotes down, So goes the most productive morning of my coyote hunting career!!

Carlos

Last edited:
April 4, 2015- Hunting with my BRIDE was awesome!!

Five weeks ago my wife planned a hunting day for us and today was the day. She has been talking about it for the last 3 weeks so I was under a “little” pressure to produce! Our last trip (her first) set the bar pretty high so I was trying to realistic with her on the way out to the ranch. “Babe, I really just hope we see a coyote today” “Man it will be awesome to get one coyote to work the call” “Last time was an exception not the norm” were some of the things I can remember. Well I was WRONG!!

The alarm went off at 5am, I hit snooze…. My wife jumped up and asked, “what are you doing, it’s time to GO?!” So up I got and off we went. We were out the door and on our way at 540… Well after a Starbucks stop it was 6. Gotta make the wife happy first thing!!

We got to the west entrance to the ranch at sunrise. The ranch goes from west to east for 4 miles and slopes up as you get farther east. We stopped the truck below the first plateau and walked about 300 yards to our first stand. As we got to where we were going to sit I saw 2 coyotes about 300 yards out. I wasn’t planning on a long stand because the coyotes looked back a couple of times. We got set up facing the coyotes to the east, with a south wind. We started calling and the coyotes would look back at us but just wouldn’t commit. At 3 minutes I played Pup Screams and they turned and trotted east hooking up with 3 more! We watched these 5 coyotes run to the south for half a mile. One coyote in particular stopped and looked back twice.

I looked over my left shoulder to the north, DOWN wind, and saw a coyote 75 yards out and charging! I turned toward him and he stopped at the fence line 50 yards away and started challenging us!! He got off 3 bark/howls before I shot and MISSED!! He didn’t run… He dove under the fence and closed to 30 yards barking and howling, It was one of the most INTENSE things I’ve been in while coyote hunting!!!! I squeezed another off and dumped this male (the 6th coyote of the stand) in 6 minutes and at 32 paces! My wife said she was SCARED but it taught her a coyote can come from anywhere!

You can see in the picture I used the Fox Jack decoy with some red string to give it a bit more life.

We drove about ¾ mile east and walk another ¼ mile getting set up on the back side of the plataue as it dropped down into a wide valley. We faced south east and started calling with DSG cottontail. At 7 minutes I switched to Cal’s cottontail. At 15 minutes I started pup distress 3. At 16 minutes we had a coyote coming at us from the south at 400 yards. My wife turned and got on the coyote as it took its time closing to about 250ish. It stopped, sat down and at 27 minutes turned broad side. I didn’t want my wife to shoot but I asked her if she still had it in her scope. She said yes and pulled the trigger thinking I went shoot. A miss high and the coyote took off to the south.

As we drove south (in to the wind) across the ranch toward another stand, we Jumped a coyote 25 yards from the truck. My wife jumped out, grabbed the gun and ran up the hill after it with no luck. (coyote #8) We made a few more blank stands before running into a couple of hands moving cattle around the ranch.

We turned and headed back north for one last stand. By this time the wind had changed and was blowing from the west. We parked and walked ½ mile setting up on a nice high ridge facing WNW. I started calling and at 3 minutes we catch some movement to the north east 600+ yards out. 2 coyotes are mousing paying us no attention. I play DSG, Lil’s, Cal’s, Lightning jack, Vole squeaks nothing made those 2 coyotes budge. At 20 minutes I started pup screams. As I’m facing the 2 coyotes I hear my wife say “I got one right here” BANG!! Without hesitation she rotated to the south west, got on the coyote and was able to roll this HEAVY male at 125 yards!!

On the way out we passed the first coyote I shot. It had a huge hole in the chest and had been laying in the pasture for about 5 hours. There were probably 15-20 buzzards flying around, on posts and eating on it.

This was the most exciting coyote hunt I’ve ever been on! I couldn’t be more proud of my wife! On her SECOND coyote hunt, she was first to spot 2 coyotes and then was able to shot this one pretty much on her own! #11 for the day and a day We’ll never forget!!

Hopefully you all see what I'm doing here, can follow and enjoy the pictures and stories!! The dates may jump around a bit going forward as I find more of my hunts to post!!

July 18, 2015- California High Sierra Hunt, Success @ 8000’

A buddy and I headed up to a few of my favorite spots in the Sierra's this weekend.

Our first stand was a blank but we had what sounded like a pair or three howling back at us from over a hill. Our second stand was another blank, but once again we had another different pair or three howling at us. We stayed on stand for 30 minutes but no takers.

Our 3rd stand was a spot that has produced coyotes the last couple of years. We got setup overlooking a nice open sage meadow. I started off with bay bee cottontail and at 2 minutes I had one coming in from my right at 150 yards! It closed to 75 before going behind a tree allowing me to swing over to her. She came through the other side and was still trotting in as I barked her to a stop 10 yards from the caller. She stopped and looked straight at me as I pulled the trigger. DRT at 60 yards!!

Here is a video of the stand after it happened:

We tried to make a couple more stands but were busted by sheep ranchers and scouters riding around. So I won't count those as they were only a couple minute stands each. Our 4th stand was another blank, and after seeing a lot of people we decided to call it a day.

During our first stand we got howled at from a spot I've wanted to call from for a few years now but I never walked back there. We decided that Saturday was the day, so on our way home we stopped for one last stand. We had to walk about a mile and a half to get a half mile as a crow flies but we finally made it. We get set up against a rock in a grass meadow about the size of a football field. Started out with DSG cottontail and then played Juv Red Fox distress. At the 10 minute mark I muted the sound and 5 seconds later a BIG male came out to investigate. It popped out of the trees 75 yards away and was walking right at us, it was my buddies turn to shoot so I waited for him... He had to adjust and when he did the coyote spotted us and started trotting off. I gave my buddy a couple of seconds before I squeezed another off. I hit far back as it trotted off so it went into a spin as my buddy finished it off.

My buddy got tired throughout the day and on our last stand he didn't keep the rifle in his shoulder during the stand. This cost him the shot as the coyote saw him bring his rifle up! ALWAYS STAY READY ON STAND!!

April 25, 2015- Double for the day saw 8 coyotes total!

I got permission to call a new ranch so I headed out there on Saturday. It is next to another I call so I was able to combo them into a few stand for the morning. The wind was blowing SSW, my first stand was a blank beginning 30 minutes before sunrise. I made my second stand about 1/2 mile away. As I set up facing Southeast I saw a coyote running away down wind 400+ yards out. I called for 15 minutes and nothing came. At 16 minutes I played a sequence Dabob recommended on a thread a while back. Female long howl 1, male long howl, male challenge 4, coyote growls, and pup dis 3. At 20 minutes I had 2 charging in from the south. At 200 yards they break off and start circling down wind. They winded me and turned east on a run so I let one shot go and missed. As they ran off I caught sight of another single coyote running on a ridge to the south.

As I got to my third stand I jumped a coyote along a fence line 100 yards away. I couldn't get a shot off so that one got away clean. I ended up blanking on that stand after 15 minutes. My fourth stand I was facing east. I went through some distress sounds and at 16 minutes I went back to Dabobs sequence. At 21 minutes I had a coyote running in from down wind AGAIN! It got to 300 yards and broke off not to be seen again.

My fifth stand I made down by that dead tree across from the creek. The pic is facing east and that's the way I set up.

I called for 16 minutes AGAIN before playing the "Dabob" sequence. At 19 minutes I had this male coming in straight away from 600 yards! He came in on a quick trot stopping to pee 5-6 times. I let him come in until he stopped and sat down at 153 paces. I let the Vmax go and DRT! He looked like he was a few years old. Not the biggest but a fun one to watch come in for sure!!

I made another blank stand before i headed back toward the truck. As I got about 1/2 mile from the truck I made one last stand. The wind had shifted and was now blowing from the west. This time I set up facing west a couple hundred yards from the new pasture. I ran my distress calls and again went with the sequence that had worked all morning. At 18 minutes I had anothe male charging in FAST!! It dove under the fence and checked up at 120 yards. Just enough time for me to get on him and let another Vmax go, DRT again, not a twitch! I got a couple of pictures and was on the road before noon!

It was the first time I used the SP-60 and I have to say I'm impressed! Obviously it brought in coyotes, but it also seemed a bit louder the it's predecessor the SP-55.

So for the day I saw 8 coyotes, shot 2 and missed 1. That makes it 26 coyotes I've seen on my last 3 hunts! I wish I could've taken more but it just hasn't worked out... I'll keep at em' though you can count on that!!

OK... Last one for today...! I think!!

December 14, 2015- COLD morning! CA standards anyway!! LOL

This time a year I always swing by and wish my ranch owners a Merry Christmas and give each of them a bottle or two of liquor.

Yesterday was that day... But before I did I had time to make a couple of stands.

It was COLD in the morning!

My first stand was a blank.

I got in my truck and drove around the ranch to my second stand, about 2 miles away.

I got set up between a small grove of trees not to far from a ranch road. I started with bay bee cottontail and eventually switched to DSG cottontail. At 13 minutes I spotted this big female at over 400 yards coming in on a string! The wind was perfect so I just let her trot in. On the approach she dropped into a gully giving me a great chance to adjust my position. She came up out of the gully right in front of me continuing in slightly left to right. She checked up at 100 yards and gave a great shot, so i took it. Stiff legged DRT! You can see the little blood stain where I hit her.

I made one more blank stand before turning back to the truck. I was about a quarter mile from my truck when I saw a coyote running down a fence line, it was long gone before I could do anything.

I dropped off a couple of bottles and chatted with one of the owners for a few minutes before heading home for the day.

Here's another after stand video as well

Holy smokes! I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow and get bored to read these. I love a good hunting story, can't wait.

Thanks for sharing. Did you use photobucket to post your pics? That definitely took you some time to post all that, thanks again and welcome.

Hey Everybody! Glad to see you all like hunting stories as much as I do! Believe it or not, I've got virtually all of my successful hunts over the last 5 years written down somewhere! I wont post them all but I'll continue adding some here and there!

What's going on Bob! Looks like PM is the go to forum across the country. I should've been sharing my hunts over here as well!

crittr- It never gets old out there! I've got a number of different ranches, dairies and vineyards to call. Enough to keep me busy every weekend if I wanted to! I definitely consider myself lucky.

I'll share a few more today.

JF- Yes, I use and love photobucket for posting forum pictures. It really doesn't take to long to post these hunts. Like I said, I have all of them typed out already so its pretty much cut and paste. I would've posted them all separate over time had I been a member here before yesterday!

December 2, 2015- Before shooting paper, I'll always make a stand

Yesterday I went out to one of my dairies to shoot some paper and thought... Heck, might as well bring the caller for a stand before I start shooting. Well I made one stand and got this female on a dead run at 150 yards!

I started calling and had a coyote barking at me from down wind. I turned and tried to find it through the vineyards but couldn't see it. I played my go to "dabob" sequence of female long howl 1, male challenge 4, female challenge and pup dis 3 to try and pull it out to no avail. I looked back into the vineyard and as I turn back I see this female charging in from 200 yards. She came in, knocked over my caller and was running away before I was able to get my crosshairs on her. I put them on her nose and pulled. She flip a couple of times and was DRT! I hit her about a foot back to the right just behind her ribcage. I still think my rifle is off so I'll go back out later today. It was 430 by the time I was done getting the coyote, taking pictures and a quick video so I never ended up shooting paper.

Here is a link to my video after the stand, I'm going to try and start recording my hunts in the future and see what I come up with!!

November 28, 2015- A long walk just to miss and forget my shooting sticks!

I went out to one of my ranches last Saturday to do some calling and had a decent day.

My first stand was in the same spot as 3 weeks ago when I had a pair run in and out before I was able to get a shot off. I was able to get one of those 2 on my next stand. Anyway... as I put the caller down I have 2 coyotes barking at me 250-300 yards away on my side of the vineyard fence. It was still a little dark so I squat walked to about 200 yards before I shot one of the 2. It spun a few times before running into the vineyards. I played vole squeaks as I crawled and pulled my trigger in less then 5 minutes. One shot one lost.

On my second stand I got set up about a mile away on the other side of the vineyards now facing west. I turned on Bay Bee cottontail and in 5 seconds I had a coyote looking at the caller 150 yards out. I turned and got her in my crosshairs before pulling the trigger. I hit her to the right of where I aimed even though I had a good hold on her.

I blanked on my 3rd and 4th stand.

As I was setting up for my 5th stand a coyote busted me about 200 yards away. It barked a couple times and trotted off before I could do anything. I called for 10 minutes and moved a half mile north.

As I'm walking to my 6th stand I notice A LOT of coyote skat on the trail. I mean A LOT! So I get set up on a nice hill facing east. I started playing DSG cottontail and just after I started I adjusted and moved to face north. As I did a coyote pops over a ridge and sees me move. It trots off, as it's going away I played male challenge 4. To my surprise I've got another BIG coyote running in from the west circling clockwise. It runs passed me and the caller at 50 yards to fast for a shot, as it smells the caller it turns east and runs out to 100 yards before spinning around and giving me a nice broadside shot. I miss... To the right, and I'm pissed! I had a great hold on this coyote yet still missed. Missed so bad I questioned my scope. Anyway I made 3 more blank stands before I got back to the truck.

I checked my glass and it had a rub Mark on the cap from my kickstand frame. I knew right then I had to go shoot some paper.

March 16, 2013- I still haven't been to the back of that ranch to get my sticks!! I'm sure they are still laying on the ground right where I left them!! Thank goodness I had an extra set of BogPods!

Thanks, I live outside of Sacramento.

Went out and made a stand today with no takers. I did get a good look at these new vineyards I picked up last week. I've got a nice couple of spots to call from tomorrow morning!

Back