Leupold VX-R - share your thoughts

Matlock

I know there are several other threads that have addressed the VX-R model scope from Leupold, but let's rehash and get an update from both satisfied and dissatisfied users. I'm looking for comments from people who have actually used one of these scopes in the field:

What setups have you used the scope on?
What magnification are you running?
Which reticle?
How often do you find yourself needing/using the illumination during dawn/dusk?
Overall thoughts on the scope?
Any comparisons welcome too.

Thanks for your feedback!

I have a 2-7 german reticle on my Savage 220 slug gun.
Ive never used the lit reticle. It works fine but where I live you cant shoot till half hour after sunrise and half hour before sunset for deer so its a feature that isnt necessary.
Glass is excellent for the money and I think its a perfect setup for deer. Reticle is a bit thick for target but thats not the scopes intended purpose. Very satisfied.

My nephew has a 3-9 that he does use for coyote and for the price I would have been just as happy using the vxr over my trijicon considering the price difference.

Caveat up front: I can't say that I've had a lot to compare my VXRs to except a Leupold VX 6 1-6, Vortex PSTs (1-4 & 2.5-10), and Vortex Diamondbacks 3-9.

That being said, I love the VXR illumination with the motion sense technology, both in the VXR and the VX6

My current go to night hunting scope is a VXR 2-7 and it works very well on my DIY night vision rig. Pics and video here:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...886#Post2938886

I also have a 4-12x50 with Ballistic Firedot and had a 1.25-4 with the Firedot Circle. If I did a lot of daytime hunting, the 4-12 would be my main scope, but the 4x FOV is too tight for my style of night hunting.

The Firedots are bright enough to use during the day with both eyes open similar to a red dot. I ran the VX6 as an Aimpoint replacement but the 1.25-4 had a little too much distortion on the low end compared to a true red dot.

The VX6 didn't have as good of night resolution through my DIY NV as the VXR 2-7 does.

I'm not a fan of the illumination knobs on the Vortex PST series and the illuminated reticle in the 2.5-10 washed out my NV even on the low setting. The reticle on the PST 1-4 was not bright enough to use during bright conditions during the day.

Overall, I'm a fan of the VX R series and think they are a good scope for the money when you want illumination.

Full disclosure, I have a new VX3i 1.5-5 scope arriving tomorrow that will swap back and forth with my Aimpoint T1 on my 14.5" AR that is set up as a HD/close range coyote rifle. I decided that I didn't need illumination on that scope since it gets used with lights and not NV. I'll see how I like it; it may get swapped out for a VX R 1.25-4 in the future!

Check your private message when you have a chance.

Last edited:
VX-Rs are the best night scope I've used. I haven't used a lot at night though.

I've got the 1.25-4x(wish I had 2-7) with exposed tactical turrets. The exposed turrets SUCK, they are constantly getting bumped around. DO NOT GET THE EXPOSED TURRETS!!!

Otherwise the illumination is perfect, gets nice and low for night hunting and the glass is very clear and batteries last a long time.

The VX-R scopes are much lighter than the vortex and the vortex illumination is no good because it lights up a large and useless part of the reticle.

I sold my VX-R 3-9x40 Firedot to get the slightly smaller/lighter VX-R 2-7x 33 multi-dot Firedot. Love the VX-R for hunting. The Firedot is great for quick target aquisition, shooting steel plates, etc.

The reticle is a little thicker than a standard reticle so it's not ideal for shooting tiny groups on paper.. I found for best target shooting I need to use a 3" black square and set the Firedot to low so I can place the dot in the center of the square.

I run a standard duplex 3-9 on one of my AR's. I like it, but could easily get by with a 2-7.

Outstanding optics at price point
size/weight/looks
tracks well
great retical for hunting (a little thicker than target type)
Battery life
It's a leupold

Dislikes:
I wish the intensity of the light was adjusted by turning the cap,not clicking to adjust. The only way to see what it's set on is to look thru scope while adjusting. It would be nice just to look down and see what number it's set on.

I have a 2-7 with #4 reticle. It's mounted on a 20" barrel AR with A2 stock I use for hunting. The illumination is great for early morning/late afternoon but I've found I don't need it at night with a spotlight.

I've got the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 w/ TMR & firedot reticle. It's a darn good scope but if you're consistently shooting 200+ yds. out, the reticle is thicker that what you're gonna want. With shots inside 175, it's awesome as the thicker crosshairs allow for super quick target acquisition. Most of my shots are w/in 75 yds. so that's not an issue for me. The glass is decent, I'd say on par w/ the VX2s but not nearly as nice as my VX3s.

I run a VXR 1-4 firedot duplex on my 223 AR, a VXR 2-7 firedot duplex on my 308 bolt gun and a VX6 2-12 firedot duplex on my 300win mag. Great glass, will never be without an illuminated reticle on a hunting rifle again. they are incredibly helpful for my older eyes, I know that they allow me to focus on the target and get MUCH faster target acquisition. Far and away the best option for reasonably compact size and good magnification range for hunting is the VXR 2-7 32mm, it is an outstanding scope and I wish I had bought that model for my AR. I also agree with the post above that warns against exposed turrets, I learned that lesson a long time ago!

I also have the VXR 1X4 firedot duplex, and I love it. I have a Nikon 2.5 X 10 and really like that scope as well. (still do). But when I saw my first coyote with the VXR red dot I fell in love with it. Very quick to get on target especially a moving target! and especially in low light! I just leave mine on four power as I can get on target just as quick as on 2 power, so I never mess with the power setting, just grab the rifle and the call and the dog and I'm outta here!
Oh and my battery has lasted about three months in this cold winter, much longer in the summer.

I've got a VXR 4-12x50 and it's fantastic. I recently put it on one of my ARs for predator hunting, after I bought a VX6 for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got all sorts of high end scopes from Nightforce and Leupold and while there are "better" scopes than the VXR, I think it's a perfect balance of quality and value. Part of my job and part of providing for my family includes killing predators and I don't have any problem spending money on quality glass for my rifles; but I'm really in love with the VXR line. I bought one for my son in law and he's using it on a .308 out to 700yds with fantastic results. The firedot is sure a real advantage when trying to get on to a running coyote. It's not as fast as a red dot but it's not meant to be. But it's sure faster than a typical reticle. I would not hesitate to recommend the VXR line to anyone for a hunting scope that won't break the bank. Add the CDS turret that came with mine and you can dial up whatever distance you need. It's a terrific predator hunting scope, whether on a bolt rifle or a AR.

Thanks all for your feedback. I've been most curious about the various reticles that are available. Based on everyone's feedback, I think each reticle offering has been represented here in a review: FireDot Duplex, FireDot 4 (aka German #4), Ballistic FireDot, and FireDot Tactical Milling. Unfortunately the local shops here only carry the FireDot Duplex or Ballistic FireDot, so those are the only ones I've had a chance to look through. I'm looking for a scope to mount to my main predator AR rig (.223/5.56), so this info is helpful.

Originally Posted By: jcs271For an AR, just buy the 2-7 firedot duplex and NEVER look back! Good luck.

2-7 or 3-9 is really the question at this point. I know that topic has been hashed and rehashed over and over again.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerVX-Rs are the best night scope I've used. I haven't used a lot at night though.

I've got the 1.25-4x(wish I had 2-7) with exposed tactical turrets. The exposed turrets SUCK, they are constantly getting bumped around. DO NOT GET THE EXPOSED TURRETS!!!

Otherwise the illumination is perfect, gets nice and low for night hunting and the glass is very clear and batteries last a long time.

The VX-R scopes are much lighter than the vortex and the vortex illumination is no good because it lights up a large and useless part of the reticle.

Are the exposed turrets only on the VX-R Patrol scopes? I'm having a hard time finding any info on exposed anything relating to the VX-R or VX-R Patrol scopes.

Originally Posted By: MatlockOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerVX-Rs are the best night scope I've used. I haven't used a lot at night though.

Are the exposed turrets only on the VX-R Patrol scopes? I'm having a hard time finding any info on exposed anything relating to the VX-R or VX-R Patrol scopes.

Apparently I was not awake when I wrote this post because the exposed turrets are clearly on the VX-R Patrol models only. Good to know that they get bumped easily, as I was thinking they would be nice to have.

I just put a vxr 2x7 on my 6.8. I went with the FireDot LRV reticle. I have only shot it to sight it in, but happy with it so far. It is light weight and very clear.

Have never liked the Leupold turrets though.

Just an update on the VX3i that I tried. It's on its way back as I type. I didn't see any appreciable difference between it and my VXR 2-7 in glass quality and felt that the 2-7 had better resolution at night when comparing both on the same magnification level.

Another update: the VXR 1.25-4 with firedot duplex arrived today and I definitely like it better than the firedot circle 1-4 I had before. It seems less cluttered and easier to pick up targets when shooting with both eyes open despite it being 1.25x on the low end.

I sold the firedot circle because I wanted something closer to 1x, which I found in the Burris Tac30, but it is also cluttered and doesn't have as good as resolution at night compared to the VXR (understanding that it's not the quality).

For a day scope, an in-a-pinch HD scope, or a low $$ "try the low power variable route" the Tac30 does well.

Bottom line: I still love my VXRs!!

Back