17 HORNET or 204 ruger

Originally Posted By: songdoghow did the .17 Rem. get brought into the conversation? Thought we were talking .17 hornet?

The .17 Remington was not the topic per se but rather the bullet. In this case the 20 grain Vmax.

I was impressed with the 204 this weekend. Shot from 100 to 400 yds and didn't have a 3 shot group bigger than 3 inches. Hornady 40 gr. v-max. The Nikon spot on chart was wrong but it did well in a little head wind.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust Um......did I miss something here? Care to fill me in?
blink.gif

i will put this in there too. maybe that will help you figure it out.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: lhitchcoxI am going to be the contrarian here. I would go for a .17 Fireball.

Yeah, but that was not one of the choices unfortunately.

not that i care one way or the other. just thought it was kind of funny you pointed out to somebody that what they said was not one of the choices of the op and then you turn around and also suggest something that was not one of the choices. no big deal. it happens all the time. carry on.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Rustydust Um......did I miss something here? Care to fill me in?
blink.gif

i will put this in there too. maybe that will help you figure it out.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: lhitchcoxI am going to be the contrarian here. I would go for a .17 Fireball.

Yeah, but that was not one of the choices unfortunately.

not that i care one way or the other. just thought it was kind of funny you pointed out to somebody that what they said was not one of the choices of the op and then you turn around and also suggest something that was not one of the choices. no big deal. it happens all the time. carry on.

Ah. Well, actually I was not even suggesting the .17 Remington. I was putting in my own experiences with the Vmax bullet and prairie dogs.

Originally Posted By: SantiamI don't have the accuracy or feeding issues some have..I have heard of others..The only problem with mine is the cock on close feature..It is possible to feed a round,close the bolt and not be cocked..Once I learned about it,I don't have that problem anymore,but it was frustrating for a short time..
mad.gif

I have no doubt the CZ is the better gun in operation,but I doubt it shoots better, than mine anyway..
tt2.gif

I wouldn't bet against a CZ when it comes to accuracy.

so then, a 20 gr. v-max going 3600 fps is expected to perform just as does the same bullet going 4000 fps? Is that what I'm hearing? The difference between the .17 Rem. and the 17 hornet is about that, so why would one expect the same performance from each?

Originally Posted By: ZaneTuckerI'm looking at buying and new rifle for predators and varmits. Right now I have a 223 and 22-250. I love them both but they arn't very fur friendly. I want something nice on fox but will also thump a coyote at 100 and under. This will be a light weight walking gun for mostly night hunting and close areas. I'm looking at the savage 25 walking varmiter for the 17 hornet.

back to this. for what you are wanting i think a 17 hornet shooting the 25gr hollow point would be a very good choice.

as for the savage m25 walking varminter. i have one that i would put up against any other factory hornet on the market. it is extremely accurate with all the factory hornady offerings. so far i cant get my reloads to shoot as good as the factory ammo. but i am getting closer.
smile.gif
the factory 25gr hp out of my m25 is truly unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: marcoSo you're reloading the 17 hmr?

yes. getting them primed is the tricky part. get about 5 reloads on them before the case neck splits.
tt1.gif

I am sure the CZ's are very accurate..That was the route I was going to go,but they were more expensive and I had to order and so on..The 25 was on the shelf handy..It is a specialty gun and I bought Savage with only one job for it..Kill bobcats at night..Drop them right there and not blow then in half..For that it does it very well..

I do like the 25 gr Hornadys better than the 20 V-max..

If I had bought the CZ I wouldn't have been able to get the nerve up to take a rattle can to it..
scared.gif

No such worries with the 25..
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustI wish that I could also give an enthusiastic thumbs up for the Savage 25 but from what I have seen and read of them I think that there are better choices as far as firearms goes. A pity too as I am a real Savage fan.

Savage fan here, too. However, upon handling a 25, it seemed it
could have been made better by Mattel.

Hopefully more manufacturers will start chambering for the 17 Hornet. Its a great niche cartridge and hope to see it live on for years to come.

Originally Posted By: marcoWell it's already out lived the 17rem Amd 17 fireball! It will do well!

Uh, the .17 Remington is 45 years old now. The .17 Hornet has a mighty long ways to go before it comes even close to middle aged.

Back