223 loads using H4198 ?

rudymontana

crazy.gif
Has anyone developed any accurate loads for 223 using H4198? Any grain bullet is fine. I have a 1/9 twist rifle. I know it isn't the best powder, but I bought a lb. on a good sale and not having much luck with it using the data on the container for 40 Gr. nosler BT. using 22.5 gr. H4198.

I have run a bunch of it (several 8lb jugs) out of my 223's for prairie dogs the last several years. Have managed to get sub moa loads with several bullets from 35 ntx's up to 55 grain soft and hollow points. Never have tried any heavier bullets that I can recall. Really can only recall some cheap Winchester soft points as being the only bullet that I couldn't get to shoot respectably out of a 9 twist savage. Running it with the 35 and 40 grain non toxics out of an 8 twist ar platform and do notice that I get best accuracy below max a little ways so that is what I go with.

IMR 4198 and H4198 are two of the go to powders, for years, in the 222 bench crowd. Mostly with the 52 grain bullets. Since you are already at max, I would back down to around 21.0 grains. You will either find a node, or switch bullets to the 50-52 grain bullets and start over. The 55's are too heavy for this powder in my testing.

Last edited:
Keep playing with the load, go up to a max load in your rifle, and use a thick cup primer only such as a 7 1/2, CCI BR-4, or CCI41.

My favorite bullet with this powder was the sierra 50g lead tip blitz, unreal accuracy, seat the bullet to touch the lands and .005 off.

I shot a 1000 of the Sierra 45g spt in this powder also, really loved that bullets accuracy and speed.

Use a thick cup primer only such as a 7 1/2, CCI BR-4, or CCI41.

Thanks everyone for information. I will start with loads data you have given me. ackleyman what does the thick cup primer do for the load or H4198 ?

Last edited:
From ar's I have no problems using 55gr v-max, sp, or fmj's with h 4198 if shot out of a carbine length setup, out of rifle length problems start to show up with ejection.

Last edited:
I have a bolt action. I learned something on this site about thicker cup primers and pressures. That why I appreciate this site. Thanks everyone!! Rudy

Back