Need input on red dot/reflex sights

SouthTXBowhunter

I've been using an old Eotech and magnifier for years and it's been a terrific sight for calling predators in close and I've sure killed a lot of animals, from 10yds to 125 yds with this setup. I forget the exact model (I'll post pictures below and maybe someone can identify the model) but it was used when I bought it online. Anyway, I'm building some SBRs and I want to put similar but updated red dot/reflex sights on a couple of them. I'm kind of drawn to the micro sights (Aimpoint, Trijicon, Leupold, etc.) because they're so small and light and, to be honest, because of the L3/Eotech lawsuit and all that nonsense.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has been using the Aimpoint T or H series or the newer Trijicon MRO for hunting predators? Or a similar micro sight? Most forums are so (fantasy) combat driven and I wanted to hear from some fellow hunters if they had any success with these micro sights? Since these will be specifically for predator hunting - not self defense or the zombie apocalypse - I value y'all's input a lot more than a bunch of keyboard "operators." LOL! Are these types of sights as good, or even better, than the Eotech style red dots?

I just recently went through the same process. I backed away from Eotech because of the known issues. I ordered the Meprolight RDS below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392164/meprolight-tru-dot-rds-red-dot-sight-18-moa-dot-matte

Reviews have been pretty positive. I received mine yesterday and put it on my ar last night. It seems very well built, but I have yet to shoot with it. If it holds zero, I will love it. Just one red dot so it's a little cleaner than the Eotech recticle. Full co-witness and night vision compatible.

We take along my 14.5" carbine with a T1 on it for the close range/visible light gun when we night hunt.

Over the past couple weeks, I've been cycling through several low power variable scopes to swap out the T1.

I have astigmatism in my dominant eye and the dot gets really blurry at night. It's OK if things are 50yds or less, but once things get out past that at night I have a hard time using both eyes open and have to shut one.

For me, 100yds at night, with one eye, using red or white light, I just can't see anything through the T1. I've thought about an AP PRO or M4S with the bigger tube, but think I'll just stick with a Burris Tac30 or Leupold VXR 1-4.

If you have astigmatism, you may experience problems with the T1 that you didn't have with the EoTech.

Thanks for the input, guys. No astigmatism (custom lasik fixed that) for me. So that's not an issue. I'm pretty dead set on trying one of the round shaped reflex sights. I'm really leaning towards the MRO as it has a slightly larger objective lens that's slightly flared and supposed to give a wider FOV than the T1.

This isn't really intended for night hunting. I do 70% of my calling in the daylight and I regularly call coyotes well inside 50 yards. I usually use a shotgun but wanted to start shooting suppressed so I got into the SBR thing. I could see where they wouldn't be real great for night hunting. That said, I've sure shot plenty of animals out to 100yds at night with my setup. However, I use a pretty bright green light on the AR that carries my Eotech; and I'm using a 3x magnifier.

In typical internet fashion I'm going to offer advice you didn't ask for. Consider a 1x4 scope with an illuminated reticle. At lowest magnification it will do the same thing as a dot optic with the added benefit of having the ability to crank up some magnification when you might need it. Very versatile and there are lots of options out there. Just a thought for you to mull over...

I had a T1 on my IPSC 3 gun carbine for a short time. I hunted quite a few p-dogs with the T1. I could smack them on a regular basis out to around 150 yards. I have since gone to a 1-6 scope.

Originally Posted By: AnkenyI had a T1 on my IPSC 3 gun carbine for a short time. I hunted quite a few p-dogs with the T1. I could smack them on a regular basis out to around 150 yards. I have since gone to a 1-6 scope.

Which one?

And to the OP, I have a Sparc2 on my carbine. Not a premium optic, but the tests showed it should take more than I can dish.

I don't have a micro Aimpoint but I purchased an Aimpoint PRO awhile back after sending my Eotech back to L3 for a refund and it's a heck of a sight...the overall feel of this sight is much more robust and if I get 1/2 the advertised battery life I'll be ecstatic. The dot is clear and crisp, the controls are also crisp and the mount is solid...can't ask for much more from a red dot.

I have a C-more's on my open guns for USPSA and one on my M&P 15-22. Very durable and you can put whatever dot size in them you want. Shooting with both eyes open makes it very easy. Also have a couple Vortex strike fires on a couple of AR's and like them also. Just what I have. Many options out there.

I found a Redfield Accelerator on sale at Natchez Shooting Supply. Regular price was like $220 on sale for $119. I bought one and mounted it on my .505 Gibbs (Thats a 525GR Hornady soft point at 2310 fps, for about 6100 fpe). I actually wanted it for my AR10 308 pistol but thought I would see if it can take a real pounding before I mounted on my "house gun". Fired 60 rounds over a weekend with ZERO ISSUES. I left it on the Gibbs and just ordered a second one for my AR.

Back