My First Called Coyote

varmint101

I called in my first coyotes Saturday late evening! I will revert back and say I started to predator hunt 13 years ago. If I remember correctly I managed to call in one coyote to 300 some yards and shoot at it with my .243, but never found it. After that I got heavily into deer and turkey hunting and for some reason put preds on the back burner always saying I'll do it next year.

Fast forward this past summer/fall and reruns of FoxPro's FurTakers gave me an itch I had to scratch. I finally got off my duff in February after I was finally able to get my AR dialed in. I helped my dad out a bunch because he has been hurt(not expecting anything) and he surprised me with a new FoxPro Banshee after I'd mentioned getting one with my tax many in April if anything was left.

I took the Banshee out once in very high winds with no success. I got to reading more and listening/watching more and tried another setup this past Saturday evening with light NW winds and mid 40's temps. I settled down where I thought coyotes would give me a glimpse trying to get down wind of the call. I tried Snowshow Hare HP just because I thought they may not have heard it.(by heavily hunted public land)

It wasn't 6 minutes later I saw a white head pop out of the pines. He stops and looks in the direction the wind was blowing and starts to tail it down. I was going to lose him so when he stopped I took the shot. I apparently missed, but I'm not sure. A few seconds after he took off literally 40-50 crows landed in the tops of these pines and were cawing like mad just going crazy. I'm not sure what was going on.

It'd only been 6 minutes so I hit the pup distress for a minute and switched back to the snowshoe. At minute 8 here comes another coyote this time from the west. A hawk was dive bominbing this dude as he stood there and snapped at it as it passed a couple times. The coyote walked down a bit and stopped, looked where the other coyote had ran off, and then turned around to head back. Fearing this one was leaving when it stopped I settled just behind his shoulder and squeezed. Immediately he started spinning. I tried to get a follow up shot, but just as I was squeezing he straightened up and into the pines while I missed. Dang!

I went over there because it was getting dark and found bullet impact with a little hair, but not a drop of blood. I was dejected to say the least. I knew I'd obviously hit him, but where exactly I don't know. Some say well it's only a coyote, but to me it's still a coyote and I wanted that fur and confirmation.

I went back out Sunday after church and after just 10 minutes of walking back and forth in the pines. I came across this when I looked to my left:
50C53864-2347-4068-9CA5-300CF1F8BED5_zpswmrgkmtu.jpg

Yahoo!! Finally it'd happened and a beautiful dog he is too! I drag him out and go back to look for the first dog, but never found any sign and it was much thicker where he went.

He was quartering at 218yds and the 223Rem 55gr Vmax hit him exactly where I'd aimed, but the bullet exited back a handwidth. I will have to remember to aim right on that shoulder and pay more attention where their body is positioned.

It's one coyote, but hopefully many more to come. Thanks to Predator Masters for always being their for info I needed. I'm not sure if SteveM, crapshoot, redfrog, Cal Taylor, and the likes are still around, but hope they are. Used to glean a lot of information off of those men. And thanks to Al Collins on FurTakers saying, "Do this just once, you'll love it I know you will!" He's right!

cellphone shot in the pines still:
479413C2-D123-4F6F-B012-F7E2E6C3562A_zpslheb4ulw.jpg

My little girl Jacinda who was ecstatic I finally got a coyote. She's been wanting me to trap one real bad last two years with no luck.
DSCN2622_zpsikj9s2cs.jpg

Sorry for the extremely long post and thanks. FYI the coyote weighed 37.4lbs and I hope to make a backquiver out him.
DSCN2623_zpsehpqxgzt.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on first called coyote! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:I will have to remember to aim right on that shoulder and pay more attention where their body is positioned.

Yep, aim for the exit.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Huge congrats man! Awesome and I used the Banshee to take my first coyote a couple days ago.

(Al Collins on FurTakers saying, "Do this just once, you'll love it I know you will!" He's right!)

Totally agree!

Congrats again!

way to go man, you'll be feeling good about that for some time to come.
Maybe its a regional difference, but that's kind of a short snouted feller to me.

Back