Tulammo 7.62x39 failure to fire

Bubbadog

I have e new ar upper in 7.62x39 and can not get tulammo to fire. I don't know if the primer is especially hard or need stronger firing pin strike ,perhaps a longer firing pin if possible?your help would be appreciated if you have experience with this or a cure. Thanks!

Does it fire other ammo? Does it leave dents on the primers? What trigger group in the lower? Any chance it's had the 15 minute trigger job where one leg of the hammer spring is cut off? Just a few things to consider to narrow it down. I guess barring a problem with the hammer, first I'd check the bcg for an obvious firing pin problem, then try different ammo. After removing the bcg from the upper, push the bolt all the way into the carrier, while pushing the firing pin into the bolt to see if it protrudes from the bolt face.

Quite a few possibilities on a new upper. And more possibilities with the ammo. Can you try it in another weapon?

The primers are very hard in that stuff as it's loaded for AK's. Ar's are better off with brass case ammo, the primers are more forgiving and the extractor will live a lot longer with brass ammo too because the steel case stuff doesn't shrink after and it's a lot harder to pull out. I got a Mini-30 for shooting the Russian stuff, good cheap fun it is. Look on Gunbroker for some S&B 7.62 x 39 brass re-loadable ammo, it can be had for around .37 cents from Arms Unlimited when they have it in stock, kinda rare though.

My 7.62 does not fire most tula ammo either, but fires brass just fine. I put the heavier hammer spring in and also enhanced the firing pin-shaving just a bit off so she will protrude a bit more. Seems like the primers are quite hard and maybe set a little deeper. So much for shooting the steel cased cheap stuff...imo

My 7.62 hates tulammo. It will fire maybe 1 out of 3 shell son a good day and leaves sweet dents in the primers on the rest. I have the enhanced firing pin and use it on my only lower with a RRA 2 stage varmit trigger. The worse part is the Wolf fires great. I have been sternly talked to about them being the same thing, same factory, should both be the same. Well they aren't in my gun. Get some cheap steel Wolf ammo and give it a shot, maybe that will work.

My ar acts the same as ao9488s. Hates tulammo but other steel case work just fine. Some of my 223s are the same. I've pretty much given up on tula rifle ammo. Now their handgun ammo runs like a champ in everything I own.

Originally Posted By: BubbadogI have e new ar upper in 7.62x39 and can not get tulammo to fire. I don't know if the primer is especially hard or need stronger firing pin strike ,perhaps a longer firing pin if possible?your help would be appreciated if you have experience with this or a cure. Thanks!

They have harder primers and the ammo will be a bit more inconsistent as far as primer seating depth. What trigger do you have in the lower? A heavier hammer spring may be needed. Typically its recommended to run heavier hammer springs if using a milspec style fire control group or run a trigger that hits primers extra hard, such as the Hiperfire 24E for 5.45 and 7.62x39 AR15s.

Like I posted above Sellier & Bellot 7.62 x 39 brass cased reloadable is on sale right now at Arms Unlimited, 600 rounds, 123 FMJ, for $312 free shipping. Food for the AR, not cheap, but it shoots and reloads too.

Back