Vortex Scope on AR

yellowriver

Just finishing up my first ar15 build and looking at scopes. Looking at Vortex Hoghunter and Vortex Srike Eagle. Only down fall on eagle is lower power but i'm not planning on shoots over 200yds. On the other hand I want to see full potental out of the 25-45 sharps barrel for accuarcy to. Any ideas? Thanks all.

I run vortex on everything. I own a Striker fire 2, VIPER HS, VIPER HST, VIPER PST, Diamondback HP. They have all been great with zero complaints

I have a few Vortex scopes, and they have worked well for me. On the .25-45 Sharps AR15 I have now (loaner), I put a 4.5-14x42mm Burris Fullfield II scope on it, and it did fine on Prairie Dogs out past 200 yards. I think the Vortex would be a fine choice, but stick with the one with the higher end on power.

Eric

for the money, the diamondback series of vortex scopes punches at the top of its budget class.

i've got a couple of them.

are they a vxIII or other top end scope - no. but i think they're nicer than the redfields, bushnells and nikons in their budget range. and they're definitely a step above a vxI.

I have three Vortex scopes and zero complaints. I think they are great scopes at great prices.
I prefer a scope that is effective in low light and one with AO or SF! Out of the two that you are thinking about getting..I'd choose the Hog Hunter.

I have the Strike Eagle on my AR right now, and while it is fine I just can't seem to like it! I went with it because I wanted a real 1x scope so as to work like a red dot in close, yet give me some power to see out to 300 yards with it. It does that pretty well, but for some reason Vortex and I just don't get along too well. I think it has more to do with the reticle than it does with the optics. So I am now looking for a Leupold 2x7 with CDS instead and that's what I think I would recommend.

Originally Posted By: yellowriverJust finishing up my first ar15 build and looking at scopes. Looking at Vortex Hoghunter and Vortex Srike Eagle. Only down fall on eagle is lower power but i'm not planning on shoots over 200yds. On the other hand I want to see full potental out of the 25-45 sharps barrel for accuarcy to. Any ideas? Thanks all.

The Vortex Strike-Eagle is a good option if the ability for the close-range shots at 1X outweigh your needs for long-range shots. A 1X scope on a rifle is much easier to shoot at a 20yd target than 4-6 power.

I've got the Viper PST 1-4X on one of my ARs and I am happy with it's performance. The variable lighted reticle comes in handy when the sun is below the horizon. I put a Weaver 1-6X on another rifle and I like that one for it's purpose as well. That one is FFP so a little thick when on 6X...but it does it's job.

I have to agree with Eric I do like the 4.5x14x42 fullfeild II. I think I have 4 of them on guns all ready. Always wanted to try a scope with a 30mm tube. That is why I was looking at the Vortexs.

I have two Vortex Strike Fire II's and neither one will hold point of aim. I know they aren't scopes but I'm still down on Vortex.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterI have two Vortex Strike Fire II's and neither one will hold point of aim. I know they aren't scopes but I'm still down on Vortex.

Have you contacted Vortex? Their warranty is very good. I had a Viper HST show up with a frozen parallax adjust, and I had it fixed, back in my hands in 3 days. Well, depends on how you count days. I dropped it off at the FedEx office, on Tuesday, and it was on my front porch on Thursday. And that was on their dime.

Another thing to mention, is if one is a veteran(proof required), then Vortex offers a very nice discount program, for veterans. Sometimes the lead times can be 2-6 weeks, but at the discounted price, I can wait.
wink.gif

Squeeze

I used to use a PST 1-4 and a swfa 1-6 to hunt with but the low light performance wasn't the best. I prefer a 2-10 power range as it seems to be ideal in my experiences.
I've owned a handful of Vortex optics and they've all performed well, although they've all been either PST or Razor models. A friend of mine uses their older viper 2-7 and likes it a lot.

I'm really tempted to order their new Razor HD LH in 2-10

Vortex has one of the best warranties in the industry. No questions asked fully transferable lifetime warranty. The cheaper options are exactly that. I run vortex on just about everything I'm shooting. In my experience the lower end scopes seem to have focus problems when they get to around 12x. The 3-9's are a great option for the money, if you want higher magnification step up to the viper series. I've been through a few of the cheaper Diamondbacks and Crossfires looking for a higher magnification, made the step up to a viper and never looked back. The second focal plane models aren't that expensive and the glass is excellent. YMMV

Back