Using knife for hogs

aubie515

Anything I need to know? I'll be using a knife, which I think will be really cool since anyone can shot a hog with a firearm or archery equipment. There is an outfitter in FL that uses airboat to transport you along with dogs. Dogs locate pigs and knife is weapon of choice. I'll be in FL last week this month.

I've been told you would only need a 3" knife, so it's my excuse to finally buy an Esee 3. I have other fixed blades, but been wanting an Esee, so figured this would be great occasion to make the purchase.

I've been around domestic pigs growing up, but I know feral hogs will behave differently.

If anyone has done this type of hunting, please let me know if you have any pointers.

Since we will be on an airboat, I doubt I'd bring a Thermacell, but I was thinking about spraying down my clothes with Sawyer to keep the ticks (not sure FL has ticks, but I'm sure they have something equal to ticks).

I'm thinking I should have snake gaiters, it is FL after all.

I'll be bringing a light pack with hydration bladder to keep hydrated since I am not a fan of humidity.

Not that big of a deal. Dogs catch them, you grab your knife, walk up and stick it. Use permethrin on your clothes and 100 percent deet.

Last edited:
Thanks...some of my friends were making this big deal about it...watched shows that seemed like knifing a pig would be pretty simple.

Sawyer has permethrin with no odor. I don't know if it has deet...I'll have to take a look.

Originally Posted By: aubie515Thanks...some of my friends were making this big deal about it...watched shows that seemed like knifing a pig would be pretty simple.

Sawyer has permethrin with no odor. I don't know if it has deet...I'll have to take a look.

Permethrin is a good idea. You can forget about the Thermacell if you are going to be running around in an airboat and chasing dogs. There are plenty of ticks and mosquitos here in FL.

The best way I have found to deal with them is to use a mosquito suit sprayed with Permethrin. This is the one I use and it has a pull over hood design with a softer see thru mesh around your face. I just leave it down and even look thru the mesh to shoot when necessary. Order a size large enough to slip over your clothing.

The advantage is you have the insecticide on your outer layer of clothing and you are not soaking your skin in Deet.

https://www.natchezss.com/bug-buster-plus-suit-jacket-pant-set-mossy-oak-new-break-up.html

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

We have plenty of big fat water moccasins here also that will be anywhere you are using an airboat. You might want to pick up a good pair of snake boots. I would advise getting a pair of snake boot socks also and they will make the boots more comfortable.

Gaiters are a good idea too as I know of guys getting hit up high on uneven ground but they will limit your mobility when you are doing your hog sticking. I suppose they would offer some protection also if plan A goes to h*ll and the hog decides to do some cutting of his own.

You are likely to be in an area with No-seeums or what we used to call sand knats in MS. I lived on a bayou with a large marsh behind my house and I can assure you that if they are out and you are not prepared you will be very miserable. They are about the size of a pinhead and you won't believe how something that small can bite so hard.

Last but not least..... Brucellosis is a disease that is sometimes present in feral hogs and is transmitted most often by exposure to hog blood through a cut or abrasion. Most people I know use gloves when handling or cleaning them. Just something you need to be aware of.

Last edited:
A 3" knife will work, a 4-6" may be a little easier on decent sized hogs. Make sure it has a good sharp tip.

Important
We don't stab pigs, we stick them. Place your knife tip in contact with the pig tight to the elbow about 1/3 of the way up the chest. There is a little triangle there with less hair and it's right over the heart. Then push in and up, rock the blade down in a slicing motion and pull it out. Knife is held like you are slicing something.
A moving pig, moving people and moving dogs means that a stabbing motion allows the opportunity for a dog or person to be in the way or run under the blade and get cut. First timers are prone to tunnel vision and don't see the danger until someone is hurt. Don't pull your knife way back there and run in either. There is way too poor footing for that. As exciting as it is, the dogs and guide can control the hog well enough to give you time to be safe. These guys can hold and tie hogs when they have to.

Your biggest danger is in getting addicted to this! I don't think I could quit even if I wanted to. And I certainly don't want to.

Hope you have a great trip. I've never hunted them off an airboat but it looks like a blast. Take pics and write us a story when you get back.

Some great advice given.

On the snake boots...are these more of the rubber boot construction or actual boots? I'm going to have to order a pair since I'm running out of time to get items shipped to me.

From what I've seen...you would get right next to the pig and as the poster above has stated...you are doing a stabbing motion...more like having tip of knife pressed against skin of pig and you thrust.

I wasn't planning on wearing a bug suit, but it will be at night and I'm sure there will be tons of insect to avoid.

I will make sure to document my hunt and post once I get back.

Originally Posted By: aubie515Anything I need to know? I'll be using a knife, which I think will be really cool since anyone can shot a hog with a firearm or archery equipment. There is an outfitter in FL that uses airboat to transport you along with dogs. Dogs locate pigs and knife is weapon of choice. I'll be in FL last week this month.

I've been told you would only need a 3" knife, so it's my excuse to finally buy an Esee 3. I have other fixed blades, but been wanting an Esee, so figured this would be great occasion to make the purchase.

I've been around domestic pigs growing up, but I know feral hogs will behave differently.

If anyone has done this type of hunting, please let me know if you have any pointers.

Since we will be on an airboat, I doubt I'd bring a Thermacell, but I was thinking about spraying down my clothes with Sawyer to keep the ticks (not sure FL has ticks, but I'm sure they have something equal to ticks).

I'm thinking I should have snake gaiters, it is FL after all.

I'll be bringing a light pack with hydration bladder to keep hydrated since I am not a fan of humidity.

I did hog doggin down in south carolina and for my equipment i used: Deet Sqeeter and tick repellent, ka-bar knife for stickin hogs, Muck rubber boots( but would of rather had snake boots) and S&W m&p 9mm for side arm.

I have used a compound bow and a long boy both to take hogs. A fellow with us used a knife,(mine), to take a hog. I really think taking one with a long bow is much more challenging. The knife was like described, dogs catch it, you run up a stick it.

Last edited:
Gman gave you great advice. That's the gear I use. Skin So Soft works for the no seeums but it's an oil base. Have fun & post a report. Take lots of photos....
Brian

Where we were at, the Amish came along with us. They were riding mules and had a couple of Pit Bulls along as well. Like was said above, the pits grabbed the hog by the ears and another guy grabbed the hogs hind legs. Then the guy with the knife walked up and stuck the pig. Really wasn't that big of a deal. More like a gang murder. Not much of a challenge. Loose the dogs and the guy holding the legs and it might be a bit more challenging.

Back