Any coyote hunters in West Tennessee??

ridgedweller

Just wondering if I was the only person stalking coyotes in the West Tenn area. I live in Pickwick and hunt the Hardin Co. and McNairy Co. area. Let me know if you are out there.

ridgedweller,
I lilve in Louisiana, but next month I'll be going home for a family wedding in Milan. I plan to do some coyote calling on family property near Huntingdon.

I am originally from Paris (just north of Huntingdon). Friends tell me that area definitly holds coyotes. Be sure to let me know how your hunt turns out!!

West Tennessee guys,
I remember reading several years back where Memphis State had done some population studies on coyotes in West Tennessee, and they found coyote population densities that were some of the highest ever reported in the eastern U.S. Bill Bynum (still writes and/or edits for Predator Extreme magazine?)got his start predator hunting around Greenfield and Dresden, TN if I remember correctly.

Sniper'
I am about 2 hours or less from you. Anytime you want to come to Pickwick on a weekend let me know. I have access to plenty of land and as far as I know I am the only one in the county who PURPOSELY hunts them. mcmac11@go.com

I may be emailing ya soon!!!!! Have to warn ya I've only taken them while deer hunting so you'll have to teach me a few things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm in Memphis. I hunt a lot in Fayette Co. I'll be closing on a house and 8.5 acres just north of Moscow Tn Feb 3. There are a lot of large tract of land in the area and along the Wolf River, that I will attempt to get acesse to once I get settled in.

Sniper, have you looked at John Tully Wildlife Management Area in Lauderdale Co. It's got 12,000 acres open to hunting.

I hunted there years ago for turkey but that's it. Lately I've been hunting Chickasaw Nat. WMA during deer season and noticed a lot of coyote sighn and been squirrel hunting at wolf river wma a noticed a little. I'm still learning the wolf river area but it definately looks promising. Let me know how everything goes and if ya need help controling coyote/deer populations over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess I need to change my location since I now live in memphis too.

I,ve driven thruogh the Chickasaw NWR a couple of times while working up in that area, but I never hunted it.

I looked into the Wolf River WMA last Fall (2002) but the manager told me that I could only use a shot gun with No. 4 shot or smaller. If they have changed that rule it would be a good place to try.

I deer hunted at Natchez Trace State Park this past season and came accross a dozen or so turkey kills. I'll be going back there one weekend to give it a try. Maybe if someone on this board live in the Candem or Lexington area they could give me a thought on that.

I haven't hunted Natchez Trace in a long time. As far as the Wolf River area goes you can still use a 22mag. I know it's not the ideal cal. but if they don't want to come into shotgun range it could save the day.

After you got me thinking about the Wolf River WMA, I looked in the 2003/2004 regs and I didn't see anything about shotguns only this year or coyotes being close from Jun thru Sep. I seem to remeber both of those things from the 2002/2003 regs. I'll have to look into it. Once I get move to the Moscow area it would only be about a 10 mimute drive.

This was the first year I ever hunted at Natchez Trace. Saw hudreds of deer and turkey, and the two weekend I spent up there I didn't see many hunters. I suspect that most of the turkey kills that I saw might have been by bobcats. I wish I could get up there before the 15 of Feb while bobcat season was still open but the Boss Lady has grounded me till after we get moved in. All I get to do now is pack boxes.

I saw by your profile that you are in the Navy. I assume that means at Millington. Several years ago after the Navy pulled out and the City of Millington was taking over I did the boundary survey on the whole base. The base was pretty much abandond at that point. At lunch I parked my truck at the North end of the long runway, the one that runs southwest to northeast, and walked about 20 yards down the slope and in 15 minutes had six yotes come to my call. Talk about coyotes that weren't spooked by people or trucks. That place is over run with them. Oh well after 9/11 those days are over.

Yea, I can hear them at night when I'm standing duty at the gate but no one can hunt them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I apparently need to check out Natchez Trace again for deer season if nothing else. Exactly where did you see all the sighn? I'm also going to be going to pop a coyote or at least try sometime around Thurs. IF you can sneak away for a while send me a message.

Saw most of the kills on the north side, I also saw 3 walking on a trail/road called Cub on the south side. The first weekend of Jan. was to hot to deer hunt so I spent the whole weekend exploring as much of 48,000 acres a I could.

I'd love to hook up and go with you tommorow, but like I said, my wife's got me grounded till after we move in to the new house the first of the month. A friend of mine called today and ask me to go with him this weekend and I had to turn him down. Let's try to hook up and go after about the 15th of Feb. Good luck tommorow and thanks for the invite.

Rgr that, looks like I'll have to go Fri. anyways at the earliest. I also haven't forgotten about the Pickwick area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey guys I know this is old thread but I registered just to say that I own a bit of land in NW McNairy county.I live in Memphis and its about an hour and a half maybe a little less to my land.I took a couple deer last season.My wife took a turkey.I have seen signs and heard yotes out there when I was camping.I want to get into it so anybody in the area who wants to get together I got the spot just need some company.I dont learning together or learning from someone who knows the ropes.Anyone interested gimme a shout and we can get together.No one has set foot on my land in almost six months.

TN Banjer - I hunt near you. The hard part in TN is having access to enough private land. I like having several small farms (200 acres or more each) to work in a general area where I can call 5-6 setups in a morning. How much land do you have access to? This time of the year is a lot of fun to hunt because they are responding well to pup distress.

Back