How far north have feral hogs migrated?

Hello All:

I know that in some places where there were boar hunting preserves, some have escaped into the local woods and wild areas. From what I understand many have been taken out but some do survive.

I have looked at some of the maps online but they don't seem to be updated.

Just curious if anyone knows how far north and possibly northeast they have migrated in the past few years.

Originally Posted By: Byron SouthI shot a wild hog in Alberta three years ago. I guess that's where Canadian bacon comes from?

Byron

lol.gif

Probably around 7 years ago there was a lot of noise being made about them being problematic in western Wisconsin.

lots of encouragement to shoot them if we saw them

a year or two later it got real quiet, not sure if that means they were thinned down quite a bit or what the status is now.

They ain't sign of em here around us in south western Va. And I hope they never come too. Our farm would be trashed

http://ohiodnr.gov/feralswine

Here is a link from our DNR in Ohio about feral swine. Im in Harrison County and I've never came across one. They are reportedly not far from us to the south, however. Vinton County seems to be the largest population as the USDA has been in there trapping them. I've seen what they do to the landscape in South Carolina and I'm not upset we don't have them here in large numbers.

Originally Posted By: JonathanI wish we were thick with them in Ontario Canada!

I bet you would change your mind after the novelty wore off. Hogs are danged destructive non-native invaders that can really put a hurting on the land and native animals.

They are starting to get bad here in indiana. We have the hoosier national forest that is over 40,000 acres of huge hills and hollers and that's where they have been documented.

Suppose to be some in the SE corner of Colorado. All private land I think. But if I find out otherwise I will be down there shooting them. Wild bacon is great.

I heard some reports of a few sightings in AZ. But, haven't seen any, or talked to anyone that actually has shot them.

I sure wouldn't mind knowing where some where when it's BBQ time.

I've never seen any on my corn feeders trail cams here in central Kansas. But there may be a few way south. I know they are in Oklahoma.

Back