New Reloading Bench!

orkan

IuiuSZ9.jpg

Complete build thread:
https://forums.gunhive.com/topic/211/orkan-s-new-reloading-bench

thats pretty [beeep] nice. i wish i wasn't in a rental, i'd love to be able to hard mount mine down to the walls and such. the only place i could do that would be out in the garage - and its just too [beeep] cold up here in the winter for that to be an option - i do all my brass prep in the winter so meh.

very awesome bench - you really put some thought and time into that!

Looks nice. Put enough weight in your bench and you don't have to worry about anchoring it to the wall or floor. Mine is made out of free kitchen cabinets from someone else's remodel. I have so much crap stored in them there is no chance of them moving. Heck, they probably wouldn't budge empty. It was a big step up from the reinforced microwave stand I was using before, lol

Originally Posted By: Yote NewbLooks nice. Put enough weight in your bench and you don't have to worry about anchoring it to the wall or floor. Mine is made out of free kitchen cabinets from someone else's remodel. I have so much crap stored in them there is no chance of them moving. Heck, they probably wouldn't budge empty. It was a big step up from the reinforced microwave stand I was using before, lol

[hijack]

my bench is made from repurposed lumber - mostly its stuff form an old shelving unit in my last residence's garage that didnt fit into the new house.

i do have quite a bit of heavy stuff (brass and bullets) on the 8' side (its L shaped) but the press is on the 4' side and the bench wiggles a bit from time to time. running mg fired 308 through the small base die really requires some gusto and this is when i notice it the most.

hopefully this'll be my last rental and i can reconfigure it into something more permanent.

[/hijack]

again, beautiful setup there OP - in my future designs i may steal your press insert idea. thats pretty [beeep] slick.

That is neat! Have you played enough on it to decide if you like those exposed thumb nuts on top of the inserts? I always seem to be hitting my elbows on something. I love idea!

I just purchased 20' of maple bowling alley lane for my bench. Had to cut it in 10' sections. One section weighed 300 lbs. making a nice reloading bench will be my summer project. My current bench is just to flexible when forming new cases.

Originally Posted By: GhostsoftheGrassThat is neat! Have you played enough on it to decide if you like those exposed thumb nuts on top of the inserts? I always seem to be hitting my elbows on something. I love idea! I think I'll be replacing that hardware with something flush mount on the top. Not sure yet. It does limit the placement of little containers when dealing with brass/bullets/etc.

I'm likely going to use the same thumb screws/bolts and insert them from the bottom, and get a flush-mount thumb-nut for the top. Can't seem to find those right now in 1.5" diameter, so I'll likely end up tossing these thumb nuts into a lathe and shortening the protrusion.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onethats pretty [beeep] nice. i wish i wasn't in a rental, i'd love to be able to hard mount mine down to the walls and such. the only place i could do that would be out in the garage - and its just too [beeep] cold up here in the winter for that to be an option - i do all my brass prep in the winter so meh.

I sure wish the wife would let me bring my stuff inside lol

Originally Posted By: AZ RON I sure wish the wife would let me bring my stuff inside lol Sounds like it's time for a new wife. Sack up!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: AZ RON I sure wish the wife would let me bring my stuff inside lol Sounds like it's time for a new wife. Sack up!
smile.gif

thumbup1.gif
I will say if I were to put my computer in my reloading room I would see my wife less often as she at least knows I am here as I go from reloading to computer office..
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: AZ RON Originally Posted By: Plant.Onethats pretty [beeep] nice. i wish i wasn't in a rental, i'd love to be able to hard mount mine down to the walls and such. the only place i could do that would be out in the garage - and its just too [beeep] cold up here in the winter for that to be an option - i do all my brass prep in the winter so meh.

I sure wish the wife would let me bring my stuff inside lol

one of the perks of being single. i dont have to ask permission for stuff like that. if i were married and had to negotiate a deal with something like that i'd be building a man-cave out in the garage/barn with heat, etc.

i'd like to hope that if i do get married, i'll find a woman who wont banish me to some obscure corner of the shed for my hobbies though. i sure wouldn't ask her to bury her hobbies up in the attic, or in the crawl space.

but of course this is coming from - as mentioned above - someone who doesnt have to worry about these kinds of issues at this point

Originally Posted By: Plant.One
but of course this is coming from - as mentioned above - someone who doesnt have to worry about these kinds of issues at this point
Keep the attitude you have. Why sacrifice the things you love for some unappreciative broad? I have no idea what is wrong with so-called "men" today that let their women run(ruin) their lives. Guy's are so worried about having some hole around that they forget how to be men.

I can get up, and spend the entire day, doing whatever I want. If I'm at home in my reloading room... my wife periodically brings me something to drink and eat. She loves how passionate I am about what I do, and would never dream of trying to stop me from doing it. I don't go shopping, not even for groceries. I haven't cooked a meal, washed laundry, or cleaned the house in 8 years. We have two children, 4yrs and 6yrs. I haven't changed more than 20-30 diapers in all that time, and that was just because the wife was sick or something.

If my wife came to me and said "you really need to help clean the house," I'd tell her that she really needs to start looking for a different man. The lack of resolve men have when dealing with women astonishes me.

If most men had a clue how to actually be men, society's cute depiction of the dumb enslaved man and the insanely controlling women would stay where it belongs: On TV.

Back