Lion calling

coolbrze

What tips, tactics, sounds, etc. can y'all give me for trying to call in a lion? Did some research & I guess it's not real popular but fawn in distress, rabbit in distress, & long stands were what I got out of it. Anything else is greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Fawn distress,Jack rabbit or Utah Jack, March,April call near ranches with calving going on, sheep ranches. Most ranchers are happy to let you hunt for lions, they can also tell you if any recent sightings or let you hunt over fresh kills if that is the case at up near the kill and do coyote howls it makes the cats mad. Location is the hardest part of cat hunting. 3rd choice is drive the roads looking for fresh sign cold calling will depress you. If you can e-call set it up facing you when I hand call 9 times out of 10 lions always came in behind me. There are some mp3 clips or there mountain lion in heat they work well this time of year.

Originally Posted By: NVcallerFawn distress,Jack rabbit or Utah Jack, March,April call near ranches with calving going on, sheep ranches. Most ranchers are happy to let you hunt for lions, they can also tell you if any recent sightings or let you hunt over fresh kills if that is the case at up near the kill and do coyote howls it makes the cats mad. Location is the hardest part of cat hunting. 3rd choice is drive the roads looking for fresh sign cold calling will depress you. If you can e-call set it up facing you when I hand call 9 times out of 10 lions always came in behind me. There are some mp3 clips or there mountain lion in heat they work well this time of year. hmmmm, nope! You have a little right, but not much...i think your kinda of guessing. The weird part, use coyote calls because they make cats mad? They are opportunistic predators, part of their diet is eating coyotes....might want to research mt. Lion hunting a bit more! Go to rain-shadow.com!!

Last edited:
Some simple things. If you are in Elk country use Calf/cow call. Coyote challenge Barks can work if you are hunting a Kill. Deer distress in areas with good deer numbers. Watch the deer, Their attitude will give a good idea if a cat is in the area when cold calling. Track any Cougar tracks you see even if old. It will give you a lesson on how cats more through the terrain you are hunting. Cats will walk right down the road or across very open country in broad daylight. Glass Glass Glass then Glass some more before you call and after.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: NVcallerFawn distress,Jack rabbit or Utah Jack, March,April call near ranches with calving going on, sheep ranches. Most ranchers are happy to let you hunt for lions, they can also tell you if any recent sightings or let you hunt over fresh kills if that is the case at up near the kill and do coyote howls it makes the cats mad. Location is the hardest part of cat hunting. 3rd choice is drive the roads looking for fresh sign cold calling will depress you. If you can e-call set it up facing you when I hand call 9 times out of 10 lions always came in behind me. There are some mp3 clips or there mountain lion in heat they work well this time of year. hmmmm, nope! You have a little right, but not much...i think your kinda of guessing. The weird part, use coyote calls because they make cats mad? They are opportunistic predators, part of their diet is eating coyotes....might want to research mt. Lion hunting a bit more! Go to rain-shadow.com!!

Well, I don't know about the rest but he had the sounds right. The last cougar I called in was with Utah Jack. He came in within 2 minutes of when I fired up the FX5. Surprised the heck out of me.

Your best bet is cougar vocals mixed with distress. Your approach and location are much more important than sounds used. Find fresh sign and set up so the cat has the advantage. If it feels it's got the advantage it's more likely to come in. You need to be more still than coyote calling, wind isn't a big deal but cover is. The cat most likely is not going to bust out in to the open. It will use cover till there is none then it will sit at the edge and look. Also leave your decoy at home, hide the caller well. If the cat can see the sound source it won't come any closer.
Welcome to the addiction. It only gets worse from here!

Well, i called this one in yesterday. Plan went perfect. Friend set up on a steep ridge above me where he would have a birds eye view of anything coming into my calling. I dropped down into the draw and tucked myself in under a big fir and started calling. Called pretty steadily with my closed reed distress from rr game calls, and right about at 30 minutes i heard my friend shoot. I couldnt see the cat yet from where i was, but from his position he saw it, and shot it as it was sneaking in on me.
0GONcOw.jpg

Originally Posted By: SlagiattI dropped down into the draw and tucked myself in under a big fir and started calling.
0GONcOw.jpg

Awesome! That caller is harder to hide than mine. Good Job!

Originally Posted By: SlagiattWell, i called this one in yesterday. Plan went perfect. Friend set up on a steep ridge above me where he would have a birds eye view of anything coming into my calling. I dropped down into the draw and tucked myself in under a big fir and started calling. Called pretty steadily with my closed reed distress from rr game calls, and right about at 30 minutes i heard my friend shoot. I couldnt see the cat yet from where i was, but from his position he saw it, and shot it as it was sneaking in on me.
0GONcOw.jpg

Nice cat!

Last edited:
Very nice. Didn't see this post again until now. One of the ranches we hunt in TX had a lot of pics of a lion on it last Spring... I called & called but only called in yotes & fox...

Back