Inexpensive Red Dot for AR?

roxie

I'm in the process of building a if 'SHTF' AR-15 (5.56) for home/personal protection. I've got the thing put together for a little less than $500, but now I need to put some sort of sight system on it--and I don't want to break the bank doing it.

The rifle will not serve any sort of hunting purpose, so I don't anything fancy. I've thought about just simple iron sights, but I kind of like the thought of an added red/green dot sight for night use.

Any suggestions?

I had one of the cheap 4 reticle reflex sights on one of mine. Nothing fancy, held zero and worked out to 100 yards. The groups surprised me being a $40 sight.

If it's a SHTF/protection rifle I wouldn't get cheap. Cheap is no good when it fails when you need it most. I'd be tempted for a midrange aimpoint of some kind.

try a sight mark red dot ultra shot and a flip up sight/sights best of both worlds and wont break the bank..... I prefer magpul flip ups only because all the edges are rounded and smooth. and sight marks have a life time warranty....and the ultra shot is as tuff as any mid range red dot sight Plus Quick detachable and less than 100 bucks.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmark-ultra-shot-sight-qd-digital-switch-red-dot-sight.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-model-4-low-profile-flip-up-front-sight.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-low-profile-flip-up-rear-sight.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-mbus-rear-flip-up-back-up-sight-gen-2.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-mbus-front-flip-up-back-up-sight-gen-2.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roxieI'm in the process of building a if 'SHTF' AR-15 (5.56) for home/personal protection. I've got the thing put together for a little less than $500, but now I need to put some sort of sight system on it--and I don't want to break the bank doing it.

The rifle will not serve any sort of hunting purpose, so I don't anything fancy. I've thought about just simple iron sights, but I kind of like the thought of an added red/green dot sight for night use.

Any suggestions?

If I were wanting a red dot on a budget I'd look at the option from Holosun or Vortex Optics: Vortex Sparc II.

That gets you decent optics with a lifetime warranty. The majority of the really cheap optics are meh quality with a meh warranty. IMO, you are likely better off just spending the extra money to get in the $150-$200 range for the decent stuff.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: roxieI'm in the process of building a if 'SHTF' AR-15 (5.56) for home/personal protection. I've got the thing put together for a little less than $500, but now I need to put some sort of sight system on it--and I don't want to break the bank doing it.

Any suggestions?

If I were wanting a red dot on a budget I'd look at the option from Holosun or Vortex Optics: Vortex Sparc II.

That gets you decent optics with a lifetime warranty. The majority of the really cheap optics are meh quality with a meh warranty. IMO, you are likely better off just spending the extra money to get in the $150-$200 range for the decent stuff. excuse me,,, those two are more like 300.00 I wouldnt call that a budget sight .... now compared to nsn trigicon maybe LOL

Last edited:
Sightmark Ultra Shot Pro Spec Quick Detach Reflex Sight
Gives you every thing you have asked for and more,,,, four rectical choices in red or green Five brightness choices,,,, auto off after about 1.5 hours, just in case you forget to turn it off,,,, one CR-123 battery good for 90-1000 hours operating time depending on your brightness setting and also water resistant. It also remembers your last brightnes setting you had it set on when you or it turns off,,,, this model is
$130.00 at optics planet,,, i got it on a sale for 99.97 at my Wal Mart...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmark-landmark-ultra-shot-series-75260.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yote NewbIf it's a SHTF/protection rifle I wouldn't get cheap. Cheap is no good when it fails when you need it most. I'd be tempted for a midrange aimpoint of some kind.

This^

Originally Posted By: roxieI'm in the process of building a if 'SHTF' AR-15 (5.56) for home/personal protection. I've got the thing put together for a little less than $500, but now I need to put some sort of sight system on it--and I don't want to break the bank doing it.

Any suggestions?

Iron sights work just fine at night. Don't skimp out on them or the dot sight, depending which way you go.

What about a fiber optics front sight post for a standard A-frame front sight? I've also thought about that as opposed to a red dot.

I have a strike fire 2 on my AR, and my dad has a spark 2 on his. I have had cheap red dots and they suck. Buy a good one and be done with it.

Jim

Originally Posted By: roxieWhat about a fiber optics front sight post for a standard A-frame front sight? I've also thought about that as opposed to a red dot.

Just my opinion, but fiber optics or tritium at night are irrelevant since you should have a white flashlight on there for 100% target ID. Both types will show up black if you have a decent weapon mounted light.

As stated above, for home defense you can never go wrong with an Aimpoint. You can find a PRO or ACO for around $400.

Any of the other red dots or holosights with batteries are S.O.L. if the batteries are dead unless they have an etched or wire reticle. An Aimpoint is too, but with a battery life measured in years, it doesn't matter as long as you change it regularly (once a year).

Based on your budget comments, the iron sights paired with a Crimson Trace Railmaster would be a good option if you have a rail setup that will accommodate. I've had one on an AR for some time and haven't had any issues.

Another option that I've recently found is a Burris 1-4 Tac30. It has a heavy reticle that can be seen easily at night (if using a weaponlight) in case the battery goes dead. It is also close to a true 1x and can be used easily with both eyes open. It's probably the best low power variable (in the features that I want) that I've tried so far compared to a Leupold VXR 1-4, Vortex Viper PST 1-4, and Leupold VX3i 1-5, and its the cheapest. It may be a little higher than your budget as well, but it gives a lot more flexibility than just a 1x red dot.

Last, I've used a Bushnell TRS-25 on shotguns, ARs, and rimfires and haven't had any issues for a

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Those work OK. Tritium are better, but more.

http://www.amazon.com/Meprolight-Front-F...+tritium+sights

+ 1 on the tritium if your going irons only

http://www.amazon.com/Ameriglo-Most-Trit...+tritium+sights

Dont listen to these negative guys on budget sights,,, that sightmark model for 130.00 is incredible.... these guys just dont Know,,, they have never had this model or any other model,,,, they are clueless..... i ran thousands of rounds through mine even banged it around and even dropped it once,,,, even to the point i had to buy aluminum black to cover all the nicks and dings! Tell you what, if you buy that model and if you dont like it i will buy it back from you or I will even send you mine to try out ! Thats how confident i am with it and i also shoot carbine competition with it....

Last edited:
OK, whether you want a higher priced red-dot, or a budget model, do one thing...Co-witness a set of pop-up battle sights. Any battery powered sight can find a reason to fail at the exact worst moment. Hit two tabs, and the pop-ups are up, and in action, when the red-dot goes dark. If this was a hunting rifle, oh well the hunting trip just ended, but this is a SHTF rifle, and if you can't hit SHTF threats, more than the trip just ended.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOK, whether you want a higher priced red-dot, or a budget model, do one thing...Co-witness a set of pop-up battle sights. Any battery powered sight can find a reason to fail at the exact worst moment. Hit two tabs, and the pop-ups are up, and in action, when the red-dot goes dark. If this was a hunting rifle, oh well the hunting trip just ended, but this is a SHTF rifle, and if you can't hit SHTF threats, more than the trip just ended.

Squeeze Jeezus,,, Here is the real skinny,,,, day invasion: where in your house will you be shooting a perp over 20-24 ft ? no where !!!
Who the crap needs sights at those distances? no one thats who,,,, christ point shoot!

Night invasion: whats needed is a combination 300 lumen light and laser with a pressure switch mounted to the rifle... you need to identify the perp before you shoot just to make sure its not a family member or the neighbor or any one else that has access to your home !!!! And all this talk about this and that failing just when you need it !!! ya and a gold brick might fall from heaven and kill that perp for you,,,, jessus h christ people !!!!

Last edited:
Back