223 primers-cci br-4

ohihunter2014

got bored and went to the store tonight. I grabbed cci br-4 and cci 400 primers. I seen I can use both with h335 powder. anyone use br-4? they were a little more expensive than 400 primers. I only got 100 of each to try.

any advice in using br-4 being a magnum?

Br4 is supposed to be the match grade of the 400. They also have a thicker cup than an F205, so tend to be a better choice for AR's, to avoid slam fires.

I have used nothing but BR4's for the last 6 years that I have had a AR. Yes they are a bit more expensive, but for about a $.01 extra, it will not break my pocketbook. Never had any problems, I use the BR2's in my large rifle all the time also. I stick with what works and give me the tightest groups at 100 meters (Dime Size).

Let me just say this: I have shot my very best groups ever with my .17 Remington, my .221 Fireball, my .204 Ruger, my .223 and my .223 AI when they were sparked with a CCI BR cap. How can that be coincidence? The .17 and the .221 groups go to he11 in a hurry if I use a different primer.

No, I dont like the extra cost either, but if it makes them all touch at 100 yards then I will pay the difference.

ohihunter:

The BR-4 is a match i.e. bench rest primer, thus the BR designation.

The BR4 is not a magnum primer, the magnum primer from CCI for the small rifle (.223) is the CCI #450

There is a difference in the BR4 and the 450; and I am not telling you what it is. But, someone else can...your screwed up understanding is not quite straightened out yet.

BUT, you can find this out and the rest of the story in most good reloading manuals.

The only advise I have is to get more manuals and read more. Your still a bit short. And this is not intended to be disrectful, just how it appears. Read some more and your answers will be answered cleanly in the books.

from over at accurate shooter

calhoonprimers02.png

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialohihunter:

The BR4 is not a magnum primer, the magnum primer from CCI for the small rifle (.223) is the CCI #450

There is a difference in the BR4 and the 450; and I am not telling you what it is. But, someone else can...your screwed up understanding is not quite straightened out yet.

BUT, you can find this out and the rest of the story in most good reloading manuals.

As far as I know, you're correct. I have always thought the same, BUT.....

STOP BEING A RICHARD ABOUT IT!

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialohihunter:

BUT, you can find this out and the rest of the story in most good reloading manuals. Originally Posted By: Plant.Onefrom over at accurate shooter

calhoonprimers02.png

I have read my hornady and lyman manuals and didn't see anything or what I think is anything about the bench and regular primers. not being rude but instead of harping on me about it why not help me know what I'm looking for so I then can read it for myself

i couldn't tell you where other posters were trying to go, i was just giving you some other data about the respective primers you're using, including confirming earlier ascertations that the BR-4 share a cup thickness with the cci 450. so that would definitely qualify them as AR safe.

i've not used BR4's, so i cant comment if they're similar to the 450 or not. I run 400's in pretty much everything SR that i load, although i have begun experimenting with some of the S&B stuff to see how they do as a budget option. So far their SP primers have performed well, but some wouldn't seat easily, leading me to believe they have a bit wider of a OD on the cup.

as to how they'll perform with YOUR rifle, only loading, shooting and getting chrono data will tell you that.

HTH

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei couldn't tell you where other posters were trying to go, i was just giving you some other data about the respective primers you're using, including confirming earlier ascertations that the BR-4 share a cup thickness with the cci 450. so that would definitely qualify them as AR safe.

i've not used BR4's, so i cant comment if they're similar to the 450 or not. I run 400's in pretty much everything SR that i load, although i have begun experimenting with some of the S&B stuff to see how they do as a budget option. So far their SP primers have performed well, but some wouldn't seat easily, leading me to believe they have a bit wider of a OD on the cup.

as to how they'll perform with YOUR rifle, only loading, shooting and getting chrono data will tell you that.

HTH

thanks plant.one-

I figured try them but did get 100 cci400 too. I also picked up benchmark the guy at the reloading shop said don't use anything but 400's. I only paid like $5 for 100 so I can always dispose of them if need be. I just wanted to make sure it was the right move to get them as I see a lot of guys using h335 use them as well as 450 but then some say use 400.

BR-4 is match. 450 is magnum. M=Match

Look at the base of the primer and you will see a tiny "B"= Benchrest.

Last edited:
You'll notice less difference in a 400 and a BR-4 than a 450 and a 400 or BR4.

I still would have bought the BR4, but I think you'll be plenty happy with the improvement you'll see by using benchmark.

the 400's should do fine for most stuff. you may even end up pleasantly surprised.

the good news is you'll have actual hard data to base your decision for long term purchasing off based on what YOUR rifle prefers.

you may find a load with the 400's that well good enough to not justify the cost of the BR-4's - or you may find just the opposite and the br-4's are worth the extra couple pennies per.

but as i said before, only time and testing will tell for 100% sure.

good luck, and keep us posted!

ohihunter:

OK, I will solve the rest of the story here as none of the other posters [after me] have done so, and I am really disappointed in them...

The magnum primer is generally recommended for:
(a)igniting all ball powders as ball powder is "relatively"
harder to ignite than other [stick-type] powders and the magnum primer has a relatively much "hotter" flame than standard primers;
(b) especially recommended when igniting a ball powder in cold weather of 0 degrees F and below;
(c) igniting larger quantities of ball powder (think .338 Win. Mag, 22/250, 308 and 30/06, etc.)

See the older Speer manuals of 1970-90s vintage for a good discussion on this.

Thus, when switching to a magnum primer for a load previously worked up to a safe maximum, one should certainly back off the same powder say 10% and work back up to a safe level with the magnum primer, especially if the loads will be used in hot summer weather - i.e ground hog hunting here in OH - as the magnum primer develops higher pressure faster than the standard primer did with the same quantity of powder. So you can't just use a nmagnum primer withe the previously safe pressure load of the standard primer and expect the same pressure! You may very well get an overload/excess pressure, and you may not! Understanding this so far.

Notice none of the other posters have mentioned any of this...and I have other things to do than type...but have answered as these others do not seem to get it although you are the rookie reloader and they allegedly are "veterans"...

That being said, the CCI 400 standard primer has done very well at igniting my ball powder of choice (Winchester 748) so I have not opted to try the CCI 450 Magmum primer...in the .223 Remington as I hunt a lot in the summer and the 400 standard works fine. BUT, if hunting coyotes in sub-zero conditions I would do so with a Magnum 450 re-worked load. You will likely benefit with a more reliable, complete powder burn...relatively.

Oh, by the way, the BR-4 costs almost twice as much now as does the standard CCI 400 or the Magnum 450, so it is more than just "pennies" as one poster claimed. The BR-4 allegedly has better "quality control" manufacturing than the 400; let CCI tell you what are the other differences between it and the 400.

Last edited:
Back