case checker help?

ohihunter2014

I'm loading 223rem for several bolt guns and FL size my brass so i can use in different rifles. all brass is once fired.

I set my rcbs FL die up per the directions and 99% of the brass will drop in and out of my Lyman cause checker fine. although i had several that did not fit and had to forced in or out, some also didn't sit flush. i resized them again and still wouldn't sit right. i threw them out.

any idea on this?

Check the rims on the ones that didn't fit. My guess is that there is a small bur/nick that prevents it from sliding into the gauge freely.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I'm loading 223rem for several bolt guns and FL size my brass so i can use in different rifles. all brass is once fired.

once fired in your guns? or from another source?

was it one peticular headstamp giving you trouble? or are they all the same headstamp?

commercial brass? or milsurp?

Quote:I set my rcbs FL die up per the directions and 99% of the brass will drop in and out of my Lyman cause checker fine. although i had several that did not fit and had to forced in or out, some also didn't sit flush. i resized them again and still wouldn't sit right. i threw them out.

any idea on this?

when you fail a yes-no gauge like that, it means its time to dig deeper and see whats causing the failure.

first off which gauge do you have - the headspace gauge? or the 6 per block ammo checkers?

grab your calipers & head over to saami.org for a caliber drawing and start measuring stuff. a couple of key points to check would be the OD on the neck, the OD just in front of the shoulder, and the OD down by the case web. Look for something thats larger than maximum cartridge dimensions on the saami spec sheet and go from there. hold the shell loosely in the caliper and spin it. this is making sure that brass isnt somehow out of round.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/223%20Remington.pdf

this is also a good time as mentioned to look for a burr on the case rim from a rough extraction. also look at the case mouth for a burr there. if you haven't trimmed, chamfered and deburred before your check this could easily cause a hangup, especially in the ammo checker gauges which are cut to saami minimum chamber specs (just over maximum cartridge)

if the ones you tossed are still in the trash and you can get them out easily, its worth some further investigation, if for no other reason than educating yourself how to diagnose possible issues the gauge brings to light.

if you can, providing as much data on the fails as possible may help folks get to the bottom of where you're having trouble.

Back