Lone Tree

Wile E Coyotie

Took the call Sunday afternoon from rancher - wanting some help-- turns out he is expecting 2200 calves this next month--
He was suggesting he was out the bedroom window with his .243 at -400 am - missing a group of 4- -- wanting to know if i have the time to help-

-- he's got another 2000 feeders- in the lower feed lot as well-- This area is only 5 miles from the sheep ranch that always has trouble-

I put it together Tuesday and was on location 9:30 am- light NW winds -minus 3C - open Bald Parries -sage n tumbleweed
I have been to this location before-in the past on Gov. work--
--rancher pointed out calving field - with cows covering the whole horizon- and noted that the trouble keeps coming from the NW- out of the bull pasture where there are 60 young bulls -all Black Angus- I have mentioned before I am not a cowboy and do not enjoy being close to the cows -
-
and Note from experience - -cows can get very upset with distress calls -- and bunch up like wild buffalo --I suppose -- and want to stampede together in a panicked direction- some time coming straight to u- - best to have a fence line close--so pay attention to the cows when broadcasting-if they get messed up you gotta shut it down -

I scan the area from the highest point - on the Rd and see off in the distance - a lone tree- the only tree on the horizon - -- on a dam - with a trail up past it--good thing I have Tacoma- and soon I find a low spot for the truck --up behind close to the dam 2 miles from HQ --giving me almost all of the compass--

I am in Big country with a tough wind 20 mph- NW - - i go all in - MAX -on Prairie Blaster--and put out Stress Bark Bark Bark for 3 mins- then into pup in distress-- @ 7 min mark I can see him coming 310 yrds running-up the small depression roll below me - no chance of winding me--
I have pre ranged so i am comfortable when he standing on the hill side across from me -@160 yrds -- on 10 X- i could see a red mist coast in the wind- catching him on the lower jaw -
--#1002 - male sable white scrub white- 11:30 am - i sit it out for the full 20 mins but no other takers-

next set - i take my time to find and look-over with minimal detection -- the best places on the ranch - to be effective
-I know its a vicious cycle that never ends - If I remove one - tomorrow it is replaced

- but I just do not want to blow the place up-- i love my job and know _ i can only toot my horn so much before the wise become--ghost-- so with caution i apply Pheasant in distress -on the top of a huge Mesa bench - I am on the highest point -- the landscape in-front of me falling off steep- 200 feet- I have only moved 300 yrds from where I have just fired the gun --the giant crevasse carved in the earth before me is ancient -and provides me a whole new front- to address my cuz-

@ the 14 min mark he arrived - --still looking for the struggling pheasant when the big eye falls over him-- - inside 200 yards - but on a lower level than me- and he is going for my stink zone-- he come to a perfect stop looking at me -when I barked -- but I fired high -over top into the clay--it was fun - so- i fired 2 more with no luck- --again trajectory verses elevation-lesson

I moved to the far end of the ranch for the next set-- sat and ate a bit of lunch -looking over a large group of Mulies with some good horn in it-- felt sleepy and fought off the warm cozy feeling - and when getting out of the truck loading the gear up I notice a- coyote walking down the cow path- coming my way - 300 yrds out -- I am standing beside the truck -- and have enough time to position onto the cow path belly down in prone position- on Bi pod -- cows have seen me moving - and are heading my way --like a sponge from all directions -zombie like--
it seems to me - that soon i will not be able to shoot because the cows are going to completely surround me - before I get a shot- - i am on the ground and feel nervous cuz to many cows are close -i can see under the truck and watch a cow walk up past the front of the truck a foot away--on the passenger side - the coyote now reappearing in my field beyond the pile of cow patties -
Time slows ---The bang of the rifle scatters the cows in all directions- #1003 adult female-white sable red-@150 yrds - 4:00 pm --

I had enough of the bovines and jumped back to HQ to reported in --Rancher agrees- More work to b done - I see 5 at dark on the horizon.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

I like the open country. If you want to see excitement, try calf distress sounds. Just make sure you are on the right side of the fence.
Anyway reload and repeat.

Back