Must-have FoxPro sounds

Honkerh8r

I recently bought a Firestorm, and I was wondering if there are any must-have sounds that people have downloaded and are worth spending a few bucks on. I listened to the free sounds on the FoxPro website, and nothing set me on fire. The ki-yi sounded funny, so I figured I'd just stick with the pup distress that came with the unit. I've seen some talk about "female sore howls" during the limited time I've spent on this forum.

FoxPro's top 50 sound list: Top FOXPRO Sounds Chart updated on 02/02/2016 @ 11:15:15am

Current Position FOXPRO Sound
1 L10 Devil Hare
2 L50 Scream-N Rabbit
3 C40 Coyote Female Sore Howls
4 Z07 Coyote Pup & Rabbit
5 C39 Coyote Family
6 103 Troubled Coyote
7 214 Coyote & Rabbit
8 L64 Bay Bee Cottontail 2
9 L57 Eastern Cottontail
10 L52 Mad Rabbit Distress
11 L01 Dying Jack
12 C22 Coy. Pup Screams
13 L63 Rabbit
14 210 Coyote Death Cry
15 C27 Coy. Pup Distress 3
16 R03 Grey Squirrel Distress
17 L51 Big Rabbit Distress
18 278 Crow Gathering
19 297 Turkey Distress
20 195 Fawn Distress
21 184 Coy. Male Challenge 4
22 L09 Raspy Jack
23 216 Coyote Pup Distress 2
24 260 Elk Bull Bugling
25 F11 Baby Bobcat
26 261 Elk Cow Chirps
27 C35 Fem Coyote Sub
28 C17 Fem. Coy. Whimpers
29 271 Crow Party
30 L62 Baby Cottontail Duet 2
31 H03 Baby Pig Distress
32 C85 Platinum Grey Fox Pup
33 295 Pheasant Distress
34 C28 Fem. Yodel Howl
35 935 Grieving Gray Fox
36 403 Elk Cow and Bull
37 151 Grown Cottontail
38 400 Satellite Bull Bugling
39 101 Coyote Yips
40 B80 Baby Turkey Distress
41 405 Elk Bull Bugle 2
42 237 Cottontail Distress 1
43 N09 Raccoon Pup Distress
44 243 Chicken Dist 1
45 215 Coyote & Fawn
46 Z06 Adult & Baby Cottontail
47 C34 Male Coyote Howls
48 Z02 Light. Jack & Adult Cottontail
49 354 DSG Cottontail Distress
50 285 Wild Turkey Hen

and updated 2/28/16
https://www.gofoxpro.com/site/cart.php?do=gettopsounds

I have had success with the Female Sore Howl. I let the first howl play and then hit the play button again to make the first howl play twice and then pause. I hope that made sense! I have had several replies playing the call that way. If I don't hear anything after a few minutes I then unpause the sound and let the rest of it play out.
Last Saturday night I played the female sore howl and got a big reply from a pack. I tried other sounds to get them to come in but they stayed hung up about 400-500 yards away. I played female whimper and they took the bait. My hunting partner busted one about 100 yards from us and we watched two others run off. We waited and noticed the other two were walking back and forth on a hill in the direction they originally came from. I tried pup distress, coyote distress, and lil pup distress. They would pace back and forth across that field but would not commit to get closer. I started playing the female whimper but would only let on sound play and instantly pause the sound. Again, hope that makes since. Basically I broke up the sound by pausing and unpausing instead of letting the sound file play through. Well, what ya know, one of them could not handle that and slowly worked its way up to the field close enough (200 yards) and I sent a round down range and got the second one. The first coyote was a male and the second one that slowly move in to the whimper sound was a female.
Sorry for the long post but just passing on how I worked those two sounds.

Make sure you have

Coyote Growls "sounds like a coyote fight to me"
Male Coyote Challenge 4
Vole Squeaks "is a great coaxing sound for all predators"
Adult Rat
Prairie Dog Distress
Female Sore Coyote "has worked for me many times in the last few months."

That's great feedback. Thanks. I'm new to using the FoxPro. I used mouth calls when I was a kid, and I have had a Primos Alpha Dogg for the last couple years. I usually let an expert hunt play or followed a similar pattern with my own sounds.

Randy Anderson's pattern is generally a couple interrogation howls, a female invitation howl or a challenge howl, a few rounds of rabbit or rodent distress, and a hail mary of Ki-Yis at the end. Each sound is broken up by a minute or two of silence. If I was in an area where I was hoping for a bobcat, I just followed the same pattern, but left out the howls.

With the FoxPro, the sounds continually loop (correct?). So how long do you guys normally run a sound before you pause, and do you leave a minute or two of silence between sounds?

I never did it to last week but my partner and I kept the Foxpro Fusion running all the time switching sounds but never turning it off. I had always been call for a few minutes and then shut up for several minutes. Well without shutting off the caller we called in 4 coyotes in the first 3 stands of the night. We were using prey distress sounds the entire time. If using coyote vocals I would not run the call all the time.

Back