Reloading data for 300 blackout.

rudymontana

Does anyone has reloading data for 300 Blackout? Would like to use 100 grain and 110 grain bullets for more FPS. Powders used and grains for different bullets would help. The rifle is in an AR platform.

d5593f0f1b04521381f3534122e98d9b.jpg

hornady's 9th probably has the largest published dataset available for the 300 blk.

Nosler's 7th (paired with the 7.5 web updates that are out there) and proably 8th (which i haven't bought yet because i dont use many nosler products) is the 2nd choice.

the Lyman AR manual has about 2 pages of it - lyman 49th doesnt have a single peice of 300 blk data.

gernally speaking - make sure you avoid the 110gr 30 carbine RN bullets. they're about as usefull in a blackout AR as udders on a bull. their profile just inst conducive for feeding.

otherwise there are a lot of good choices out there for supersonic loads.

as others have mentioned 300blktalk.com has quite a bit of data available there, but always remember to use any web published data only after you've verified it against another source first - preferably one proofread by a laywer before it was published in book format. Typo's DO happen. and as every smart reloader will tell you - a pet load in one person's gun isnt always going to be safe in YOURS. some of the powders commonly used in the 300 blk - notably H110/w296 - are not prone to being forgiving on the top end of their load ranges.

hornady's 9th is only $30. which i consider to be a steal, considering the ammount of data it contains for the blackout alone.

Originally Posted By: crow sniper
d5593f0f1b04521381f3534122e98d9b.jpg

Hey Crow Sniper, could you be talked into posting a picture of the 208 Amax page for the 300 Blackout? Thanks in advance.

Nosler 8th has good data as does Hornady newest.
Lots online too.
The powders I mainly use are AA5744 and AA1680. 21gr of either will do well with the 110gr bullets. I just tried the 110gr Sierra Varminter's last week and they shot very well in my DTech making one hole group but only shot at 50yards.

Hornady's manual mentions AA1680 as working best all around with both hyper and subs FWIW.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web.pdf

Last edited:
unless you have pistol gas barrel - or a bolt/single shot - save the lil gun for the supers. with a carbine gas setup - at least unsuppressed - lil gun wont cycle under 208 amax subsonic. it just doesnt produce enough gas volume and it'll short stroke on you. Even with a pistol gas it may not cycle properly, i cant tell you for sure as i switched powders before i built my 9" ar pistol or had my suppressor.

for the least drama you can find.... stick with one of the powders known to work well in the subsonic realm - 1680 and DO63 (shooters world blackout powder) both really shine there. From what i read the DO63 burns quite a bit cleaner than 1680 does. 4227 seems to work well. The good part is subs are really efficient on powder so a pound will usually get ya around 625-650 rounds.

you can use 1680 data to work your loads for the DO63/Shooters world blackout - but its just a bit faster. I had to drop my 208 amax load down by 0.3 grains to match the velocity of 1680 for subs - this was for both my 9" & 16" barrels.

for the varmageddons - warm them up a bit and they should do pretty well for ya under lil gun. I ran them right up to max charge and there was no pressure signs for me and they shot quite well there. Varmageddon's make a great deer hunting bullet and at blackout speeds expand like a typical bonded hunting bullet would out of a more traditional deer caliber like 30-30, 308, etc... I'm currently hunting with the 125 SST, but my 2nd choice would be a tie between the 110 varmageddon and the 110 vmax.

Originally Posted By: Plant.One..in the subsonic realm - A1680 and DO63 (shooters world blackout powder) both really shine there...
Agree, and some sources list these two as the same, they are not.
LoveX Do63 is a tad hotter in my 16" AR and I get more fps from Do63 in both sub/super-sonics.
300 BLK is a fun little cartridge, more like a pistol load than a rifle load.
I'm playing with Hornady 160 gr FTX (30-30) pill with Lil`Gun and haven't found an accurate enough load yet...

i havent done much playing with the mid-weight pills, just because most of them dont expand at blackout velocities. although i've been reading about some impressive speeds (and accuracy) with compressed loads of 1680 under 150-175's.

the new 135 FTX that hornady just introduced has me intrigued though. i hope they release it as a component soon and not just loaded ammo.

i've had some impressive early results with the Sierra 135gr Varminter (#2124) when i got selected to participate in an ammo test for Ozark a while back. Those are going to see a little more attention from me this summer.

Somewhere on here, I recall seeing a recipe of 19.0gns of H110 or Lil Gun, under a 110gn vmax at 2.1" that exhibited great accuracy in several gas and bolt guns.

every guns gonna be a lil different, and if you're gonna work with h110 just know that it gets fussy at the top end of the charge range so always work up.

i've seen the stuff go from 'those primers look good' to 'whoa nelly... ok that ladder is done' in a half grain step before.

besides the fact that i have a nice pile of lil gun that's one of the other reasons its not my go-to powder for the blackout. Lil gun is a LOT more forgiving about that kinda thing.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei havent done much playing with the mid-weight pills, just because most of them dont expand at blackout velocities. although i've been reading about some impressive speeds (and accuracy) with compressed loads of 1680 under 150-175's.

the new 135 FTX that hornady just introduced has me intrigued though. i hope they release it as a component soon and not just loaded ammo.

i've had some impressive early results with the Sierra 135gr Varminter (#2124) when i got selected to participate in an ammo test for Ozark a while back. Those are going to see a little more attention from me this summer.

This one?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482381...in-hollow-point

Last edited:
Made some progress on improving group size with Hornady 160 gr FTX (30-30) pill with Lil`Gun and the 110 VMAX.
Still not one ragged hole, nearly ~1 MOA at 100 yards on both from 16" 1:7 AR, carbine gas, loads full cycled.
160 gr FTX, LilGun 15.2 gr, CCI-450, COL 2.070", 1865 fps.
110 gr VMAX, LilGun 20.0 gr, CCI-450, COL 2.100", 2300 fps.
Usual reloading cautions apply...

Back