shotshell reloading

ny hunter

been doing some research on reloading #4 buck in 23/4 & 3" its getting mind numbing,i jumped the gun and bought the components before checking the load data.didn't know it was so specific with shells and wads until i bought a few manuals [lyman 5th ed. shotshell reloading & complete reloading manual].i figured it would be like rifle and pistol reloading wrong.
i followed this load except for the hull i used a federal
L0AD# 100113-1657 “Cold Weather”

HULL: FIOCCHI 12 gauge 2.75” “UGLY COYOTE”

PRIMER: FIO616

PROPELLANT: IMR SR4756 32.0 Grains

WAD: VP65 (Mica dust the wad)

SHOT: 1-1/2 ounce (656 grains) Large lead shot

BUFFER: none

FOLD CRIMP: 6-point

Result: PSI 11500 FPS 1260
now i not sure if i should shoot them or disassemble them??

+1

You are right up at the top of the pressure with that load and have no room for error. Fiocchi hulls are easy to come by, usually free to pick up at the the local trap range. You can order a bag of hulls primed from Ballistic Products, no hazmat on primed hulls.

I'd send you some but I hàve already cut all mine down to 2 1/2" for my older guns.

thanks i pulled them apart, the components are cheap enough.i'm waiting for a manual from bpi.there's not much info on loading #4 buck,it looks like 1300 fps. is a good load for the 23/4.
back to the drawing board,thanks again

The lead BBB and T shot that BPI sells works very good on coyotes in 2-3/4" hulls. A 1-1/2 oz 2-3/4" lead T shot load has more pellets in it than a 3" number 4 buckshot load does.

If you find any Federal Gold Medal 2-3/4" target hulls they are great hulls for heavy 2-3/4" hunting loads.

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitJust curious. Do any of your shotshell loading manuals show any data for loading the .500 S & W with shot?
i just checked they all seem to be shotshell loads i'm not really an experienced gun guy just starting out,so i might be missing something.i'll let you know if i see something

I looked at some data for 410 ga and come up with a starting load of 16 gr's of IMR 4227, I put 2 of the cork 'wads' on top of that and filled the case with #6 shot. Thats all I had. I then ended up the top with another cork 'wad' and crimped the case and topped it off with some candle wax. Now to see what kind of pattern is next. I'll probably use #9 shot when I can get my hands on some. The number #6 shot was 225 gr's , about 1/2 oz. I punched the cork 'wads' out of some gasket material, thats one of them at the bottom of the picture.

Back