25-06 Remington Sendero -OR- 700 Long Range?

AZ RON

Looking for your opinions.

Sendero:
MSRP: $1400 (Can find better)
26" SS Fluted Barell
Jeweled Bolt
H&S Precision Aluminum Pillared stock
Twist 1:10"
8.5 lbs.

Long Range:
MSRP: $800 (Can find better)
26" Carbon Steel Blued Barrel
Stnadard 700 Action
Bell & Carlson M40 Stock - Aluminum bedding pillars
Twist 1:10"
9 lbs.

There's the facts. Other than the pretty looking bolt and difference in stock manufacturers is the Sendero really worth dropping the extra $600? I'd hate to waste that much money if the guns are going to perform relatively the same. Also, I'd hate to buy the Long Range and then wish I'd ponied up for the Sendero for some reason I over looked.

The rifle will be used for hunting. Coyotes, Deer and Jevelina mainly. I will not be shooting any competition, however I am a nut for accuracy I want 1/2 MOA. Both rifles claim to be capable of this goal. Let me know what you think all input is welcomed!

Ron

Last edited:
gunbroker the long range is 629. the stock on it is heavier and has a higher comb which fits me better; and barrel unfluted so the overall gun is heavier. before I paid for that much for a sendero I would have one built . 350 for an action, 650 for a fluted Krieger barrel installed; 250 to 300 for a stock. if you need it right now, and the lighter weight is worth it to you then the sendero. other wise the long range for 629 and shoot right now. weight is an advantage for long range.

The 2 rifles weigh within 8Oz. of each other so I don't think weight is a valid argument. I also think (know) your prices for an action and stock are fairly optimistic. McMillan stock, if I ordered one it would be a McMillan, would run me $700 to my door easily and I just talked to Krieger last night, $650 is before installation.

What I'm looking for is performance. Head to Head will either of the 2 rifles outperform the other? If one will out perform the other by how much? 1/2 MOA is hard to beat. Will the Long Range actually deliver 1/2 MOA? Anyone have experience with the Long Range 700 platform?

- Ron

OK, here's my take. Years ago, I had a sendero in 25-06. Fantastic rifle! Little bitty groups at long ranges. I sold it to a buddy and for three months I had to listen about how good it shot. Several months ago, I bought the long range in 30-06 hoping it would perform as good as the sendero. It didn't and went down the road. I tried numerous hand loads and accuracy just wasn't good enough for me and its gone now. If I had it to do over, I would still have the 25-06. But.....!!

I'd go with the Long Range. It seems to be a good bang for your buck. With your money savings, a Jewell trigger and a skim bed job (if needed). You are taking a chance with any factory chamber but I have had really good luck with the factory chambers that I have had in the past. If the long range doesn't shoot, you still have a $400 action, $300 stock/bottom metal and $50 barrel.

Last edited:
Luck of the draw on which barrel will shoot better.
Both Remmy barrels as far as I know.
I would possibly bed the action and for sure recrown it.
After those 2 things most Remington's shoot pretty good.
Some even shoot real good before that.
I would go with the LR, simply becasue it is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog...sendero in 25-06. Fantastic rifle! Little bitty groups at long ranges. ...long range in 30-06 hoping it would perform as good as the sendero. It didn't...

Exactly what I'm afraid of. It seems no matter how hard you try you get what you pay for. Remington claims the Long Range platform will shoot as well as the Sendero, but it is less aesthetically pleasing. I don't believe them that's why I started this topic. Thank you!

There is the chance that the Sendero won't perform well enough to deserve all the extra cash. That would be a huge kick in the pants in the long run. Like you said, if it doesn't shoot, gut it and make it shoot.

My Long Range was a Shot Show rifle. Only God knows what the rifle went through before I got it. Alot of good points made on the LR also. You still have a stock, action and trigger guard and a barrel to sell if it don't shoot. On the other hand, why do they charge so much more for the Sendero?? Must be some reason there. I've had a few Senderos, old and newer and all were shooters. In a nut shell, moneys is hard to come by for me to spend on a rifle just to turn around and have it rebarreled because it won't shoot. JMO!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog...In a nut shell, moneys is hard to come by for me to spend on a rifle just to turn around and have it rebarreled because it won't shoot. JMO!!

So was that a vote for the Sendero? It's hard to tell. You say money is hard to come by (making me think you side with the LR), but then you say why buy a gun you will have to rebarrel (makes me think you vote for the Sendero).

Just curious.

Thanks for the feedback either way!

Originally Posted By: AZ RON Originally Posted By: pyscodog...In a nut shell, moneys is hard to come by for me to spend on a rifle just to turn around and have it rebarreled because it won't shoot. JMO!!

So was that a vote for the Sendero?
I don't think so.

As for those 2 ; SS is always more, fluting is always more, jeweling is always more. They should both be basic 700 actions and barrels,so they should shoot the same.

Ron - there are hs stocks for sale in the classified for 295. I have seen them for 250. I had a 2 senderos in 25-06 one blued, sold, one stainless it is now a 6.5-284. any time I have rebarreled a rifle it has been worth it. I have shot a long range yet

I have two Senderos, a stainless 7mm STW and a "then" blue 25-06 which is now a 6mm06. The STW is wonderfully accurate, but I didn't shoot the 25-06 enough to really know what it was capable of. I bought it new and shot maybe a box of ammo in it, then had it rebarreled to 6mm06. I have a Browning A-bolt in 25-06 that is superbly accurate, so I had the Sendero rebarreled.

I don't know about the long range rifle, but the Sendero ranks right up there in my opinion.

my experience with several 700s- with the addition of a Krieger barrel ( 350$ plus 150$) . you will have a consistent .5" gun. there is a thread on Long range hunting of a guy's search for a .5" load in his 1200$ RPR .243. 482 rounds later still not there yet . I would like suggest to him to save him some pain. I have a 6mmbr, it has not shot a .6" yet. a basic blued 700 HB( 22-250 ) with a Krieger barrel and shilen trigger added.

I know you guys do operate a bit different out West, but I wouldn't know what to do with that 26" barrel. I may be looking for a hacksaw after a hunt or two.

If I was buying either with the idea of stripping everything off and using the action I'd go the the used market buy the cheapest 700 action I could find. I seriously doubt the action on the two mentioned guns are even a little different. I have a Sendero SF 300 win mag that is amazingly accurate factory barrel and all. But I've had it way before the LR gun came out.
Buy the LR.....shoot it and build it if you don't like what it does.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I know you guys do operate a bit different out West, but I wouldn't know what to do with that 26" barrel. I may be looking for a hacksaw after a hunt or two.

You mean your stands don't look like this?
20160105_085220_zpsvmlcrcdv.jpg

Back