Ruger American Ranch 5.56 Review

A few days ago I decided that I would like to have a budget rifle that shoots decent, but that I wouldnt be afraid to leave in my truck. I also am waiting on my suppressor to get out of jail and hoped to find something that was also already threaded at the factory. I own several great shooting rifles but most of them cost too much or look to nice to get beat around inside the cab of my truck day in and day out. After looking around and weighing the costs of several different rifles I decided that I wanted to give the Ruger American Ranch a shot. What drew me to this rifle was that it was short and compact but still had a standard length of pull. It shouldnt be overly cumbersome when the suppressor is added later on down the road. I ended up ordering the rifle from my local gun shop. For roughly $400 out the door, I was willing to take a chance. I brought the rifle home and added a cheaper leupold rifleman in 3-9x40mm with some low rings. I cleaned the barrel with a boresnake and hoppes #9 and headed down to the creek bottom on my farm to fire some test groups. I ended up shooting three 5 shot groups with some handloads that worked well in some of my ARs. I took along my chronograph because I was curious about the velocity in the 16" barrel.

After firing the first 3 groups here are the results at 100yds with breezy winds at around 10 mph. The trigger could definitely be better but it broke cleanly each time at around 3.75 lbs. As others have posted the stock and magazine feel kind of cheap in these rifles but it seemed to have little effect on the way the rifle shot.

Chronograph results:

55 gr. Sierra Gameking SP #1365
25.2gr Benchmark
2.250" COAL

Average Velocity

Extreme Spread

69gr Sierra Matchking
23.8gr IMR 8208 XBR
2.250" COAL

Average Velocity

Extreme Spread

50gr Nosler BT
25.5gr IMR 8208 XBR
2.260" COAL

Average Velocity

Extreme Spread

Target with groups at 100 yds

Overall I am really pleased with this rifle and it shows great potential to be very accurate. Its also nice that the rifle is chambered in 5.56 which would allow you to be able to shoot cheap ball ammo if you would like. I really like the way the Sierra 55gr Gameking shot in this rifle, and this bullet has done very well for me on game in the past. Later on I plan to shoot this rifle at 300yds and will update this post once I have done so.

Thanks for reading!

Awesome post! I'm looking at picking up this same rifle for a plinker. Based on what I've heard and seen it will probably see some hunting time as well. I'll be waiting to see the 300 yd results!

Just got a rar ranch myself. Love it. I hunt coyotes with hounds and walk alota miles and was lookn for for something compact. Heres a pic of the 1st recipe of 60 gr vmaxs over benchmark that i tried. 5 shots @ 100

Here was the 1st couple volunteers.

Looking good.I just went the other way.Got a new truck for my Ruger's to ride around in.
thumbup.gif

It's hard to beat the r.a.r. for a simple inexpensive accurate rifle. I picked up my third one Sunday morning a predator .223 and will get it out tomorrow if all goes well. I should add that falling down hill on one doesn't hurt it to bad either, but it did take me a while to unpack all the mud from the barrel. It put a few scratches in the stock but didn't knock the scope off at all.

I still haven't had a chance to shoot this rifle at 300 yds yet bc it's been windy and raining here the last few days. I did do a little more shooting today at 100 yds. After cleaning the Barrel since the first few groups were fired, I shot this 3 shot group with a different load using the Sierra 69gr matchking. This rifle is really growing on me fast.

I think this is the first review I've been waiting for. I've read a lot on it but hardly ever see results from those that own one. My nephew just bought one and I'm going to load 50gr vmax (because he has a bunch) but it's a nice slick rifle.

Unfortunately the wind around here has been about 15-25mph for the last couple of days and it will continue into Saturday morning. I'm hopeful that I may get a chance to shoot 300 yds this weekend.

Well today I had a chance to fire a few rounds at 300 yards. I shot off of my truck toolbox, with a bipod mounted on the front of my rifle and a sandbag for rear support. The wind was a little breezy but not too bad. 5 shots measured at 3.75 inches. I'm am not the greatest shot in world but I'm pretty happy for such a small rifle with a short barrel. The 69 Sierra MK's were dropping about 12" from a 100 yd zero. I laid the 1" orange dot on the paper just for a size reference.

I don't think I have heard of one of these little rifles yet that don't shoot. Below is a pic of the very first group I shot with mine with some 55gr Vmax use in an AR. I didn't think it was too bad considering the gun was about $350 and I didn't have one minute in load development.

Originally Posted By: NChunter89Well today I had a chance to fire a few rounds at 300 yards. I shot off of my truck toolbox, with a bipod mounted on the front of my rifle and a sandbag for rear support. The wind was a little breezy but not too bad. 5 shots measured at 3.75 inches. I'm am not the greatest shot in world but I'm pretty happy for such a small rifle with a short barrel. The 69 Sierra MK's were dropping about 12" from a 100 yd zero. I laid the 1" orange dot on the paper just for a size reference.

Do you think the vertical stringing is from the barrel heating up on five shots? I like the idea of that for night hunting, I'm always grabbing a Steyr Mannlicher .222 to see what the dogs are barking at and that type of use with the night hunting catches a bit of light abuse here and there walking in and out of doors and gates. The Steyr is a bit pricier and nicer than fits my sensibilities.

I'd be curious to see what the ES is on the load he shot that group with. Some of the other loads he tried had some pretty large spreads. If I had to guess, that's where I'd put my money.

Back