Home Depot anti-gun?

fw707

A buddy of mine sent me this message today:

Just found out something interesting. I'm in Home Depot. Was going to research those 6-48 screws. Went to look on the Internet on their Wifi. It kept blocking me. Got to looking and the only thing it was blocking me from was gun sites. Turned the Wifi off and it let me pull them up. I asked the floor guy if they were anti 2nd amendment. He said he had no idea they blocked gun related sites. I told him I bet if I wanted to find a Boyfriend on line I wouldn't have no problem getting on those sites. I did tell him to tell his manager about it, and I was going to ask him what he found out the next time I was in there.

Seems like I've seen them on a list somewhere with Levi's jeans and others?

The Home Depot Rati

2ACheck Rating: “B” – The Home Depot is mostly gun-friendly.

The Home Depot has no policy prohibiting customer carry, which is great. Unfortunately, Home Depot bars employees from carrying “firearms, weapons, explosives or other threatening devices” on company property. For this reason, they are not eligible for a rating above a “B.” We will continue to patronize The Home Depot, and encourage them to reconsider their policy of disarming employees.

Below is the statement we received from them:

“The Home Depot has a long-standing policy prohibiting employees from
carrying weapons in its stores. Our policy regarding associates remains
as follows: Under no circumstances may associates bring firearms,
weapons, explosives or other threatening devices on Company property or
Company vehicles.”

Threatening Devices

We wonder if that policy would include things like box cutters, chains, hammers, shovels, axes, screwdrivers, saws, chemicals, fertilizer (think Oklahoma City bombing), forklifts, and any of the other 1000′s of potentially “threatening devices” accessible in every Home Depot store.

With the items available on the shelves at a single Home Depot location one could, in theory, kill thousands of people. So why hasn’t it happened, with all those dangerous and threatening devices laying around? Because – It is the man that makes the crime, not the tool. We suspect The Home Depot knows this, but violates their employees rights out of an abundance of cowardice. They must know their policy will never stop a disgruntled employee who is determined to harm someone from bringing the “threatening device” of his/her choice onto company property. We suspect this policy is in place to reduce the risk of a lawsuit in the event someone is harmed, even justifiably so, by a Home Depot employee on company property.

As a point of interest, we have asked them to clarify if this policy would also prohibit employees from leaving their firearms secured in their vehicle in the parking lot while on the job. Their answer was just a repetition of the policy; “Under no circumstances may associates bring firearms, weapons, explosives or other threatening devices on Company property or Company vehicles.” We assume this means that if the parking lot is on “Company property” then an employee could be in violation of this policy even if he/she leaves their firearm secured in their parked vehicle.

Contact them:

1-800-HOME-DEPOT

it's quite common for corporations to block gun related sites. while this is mainly intended for their employees I wouldn't be surprised if their public wifi didn't go through the same software.

On every cruise I've been on the ship blocked me from getting on to any hunting or gun site. The people in charge all told me it was company policy, same reason they don't allow carry on board their ships.

BNSF Railway has a no weapons policy for all us employees also.

Funny, some of the old-timers tell us of when they were paid ot to go out on the right-of-way and shoot turtles that were burrowing into the subgrade of the track structure. I was definitely born 20 years too late....

Interesting about cruise ships. Over Christmas my wife and I cruised the Rhine River with Viking Cruises and had no problem using their on board computer to keep up with the happenings here and other hunting/shooting sites. The year before while on a Danube cruise the concierge on board helped me find the Frankonia Jahg store so I could pick up some accessories for my drillings that aren't available here in the states. She did thank me for not asking to go hunting in Germany, one of her previous travelers asked her to set up a hunt for him, she pulled it off but she said it was one of the most difficult requests she ever had to fulfill.

Back